Santiago dinner/after dinner advice needed

ren65amg

Mar 8, 2014
Hey guys and gals, I'm a long time Dominican born/US resident lurker seeking advice. I will be in the country for a weekend (3/22) with some non Dominican Friends (they are a couple in there late 20's) I'm planning a dinner and after dinner activity for a Saturday but I'm completely lost. My idea would be Monumento(what else can we do??) a nice dinner and then go somewhere for drinks and conversation or any activity. My only request and I know I'll get teased for this, is no loud music. I'm not looking to pick up girls or partying like a rock star, just want to show them a good time.

two things to keep in mind
1. no Camp David as I would like something with a more urban feel and better food
2. No worries in terms of budget, I just want them to have a good time

Thanks guys, I appreciate this and look forward to being a contributing member here

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Restaurant Noah in the Monument area for dinner, - later on head to Los Jardines for pick your bar: La Luna, Knights, maybe Alambique liquor store (music may be loudish in this one).

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Good call VJS. I would also incorporate one of my personal favorites, the cock fights. You cant get more authentic than that and you might even win some coin.

ren65amg

Mar 8, 2014
Good call VJS. I would also incorporate one of my personal favorites, the cock fights. You cant get more authentic than that and you might even win some coin.

This might not be a bad idea, but where is the best one and what are the hours?

ren65amg

Mar 8, 2014
They wont mind, I've been to one in el cero, outside La Vega and had a good time. I want to actually do and see something, staring at the Monumento just wont cut it.

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
This might not be a bad idea, but where is the best one and what are the hours?
I doubt any galleras will be open at that time of the day, besides having people yell all around you and loud bachata/Tipico in the background is hardy what I would call "go somewhere for drinks and conversation". Some people here rather troll than give good advices. Anyways, I think VJS gave you the best options, there are plenty of bars in the east part of the city with nice not so load music. BTW noah is opening its second restaurant in Bella Terra where Hooters used to be located, maybe by the time you're here it will already be open, after eating there you can check out migas and Mohi bar located in the same mall. Mohi bar is awesome for having a conversation, listening to good quiet music and drinking really cold beers, they also have the best sushi I've ever had in Santiago. If you guys end up deciding that you wanna party then you can hit Soho and Level which are also located in the same mall, or even Dubai just down the road (Level and Dubai are probably the best night clubs in the city).

I feel like Dominicans from abroad or even from other cities get stuck in the Monument and its surrounding bars, is like that's the only place they know. Keep in mind that Santiago has a lot more to offer than what most people think, I hope you and your friends have a good time.

Last edited:

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I doubt any galleras will be open at that time of the day, besides having people yell all around you and loud bachata/Tipico in the background is hardy what I would call "go somewhere for drinks and conversation". Some people here rather troll than give good advices. Anyways, I think VJS gave you the best options, there are plenty of bars in the east part of the city with nice not so load music. BTW noah is opening its second restaurant in Bella Terra where Hooters used to be located, maybe by the time you're here it will already be open, after eating there you can check out migas and Mohi bar located in the same mall. Mohi bar is awesome for having a conversation, listening to good quiet music and drinking really cold beers, they also have the best sushi I've ever had in Santiago. If you guys end up deciding that you wanna party then you can hit Soho and Level which are also located in the same mall, or even Dubai just down the road (Level and Dubai are probably the best night clubs in the city).

I feel like Dominicans from abroad or even from other cities get stuck in the Monument and its surrounding bars, is like that's the only place they know. Keep in mind that Santiago has a lot more to offer than what most people think, I hope you and your friends have a good time.

The place where hooters used to be is occupied by some restaurant called CKB or something, Cooking Kitchen Bistro or something weird like that. Everyone thought it was going to be know Noah's but i guess not.

I would recommend Pedro's in los jardines and then maybe one of the bars VJS recommended.

If you want to kick it up a notch and have transportation, drive up to Jarabacoa (30-45 mins away) and go to a place called Jamaca de Dios, by far the best restaurant I've been to in the DR, and the view has no comparison, camp david doesn't even come close.

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
The place where hooters used to be is occupied by some restaurant called CKB or something, Cooking Kitchen Bistro or something weird like that. Everyone thought it was going to be know Noah's but i guess not.

I would recommend Pedro's in los jardines and then maybe one of the bars VJS recommended.

If you want to kick it up a notch and have transportation, drive up to Jarabacoa (30-45 mins away) and go to a place called Jamaca de Dios, by far the best restaurant I've been to in the DR, and the view has no comparison, camp david doesn't even come close.

Now that I think about it, last time I was in bella terra I remember seeing the place, but it was empty and I assumed they were giving the final touches to the "new noah". Too bad, a second Noah would have been great, oh well.

As for Jamaca de dios, I've heard many good things about it but the OP specifically mentioned that he wants a place with an urban feel. Anyways, there are many places in the city that could offer what he wants and I agree that VJS probably gave him the best list, let me just add Satay also in los Jardines. BTW Villa Olga seems to be heading in the same direction as los Jardines, a few nice bars have open in there lately.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Pedro's is getting very good reviews from my friends.
La Comai on Metropolitan at the corner of Calle 9 (Republic del Libano) is really good Dominican food and well presented.
Pez Dorado is a monument in Santiago. The food is good and plentiful.

Satay on 27 de Febrero at the big place at the corner of Texas Ave; H20 on Bartolom? Col?n is "in"....

Have fun.

HB

ren65amg

Mar 8, 2014
Thanks everyone for the help I truly appreciated.

Junty05- I think you mean this Altavista https://foursquare.com/v/alta-vista/526d52ad498e60aad08e3c54
This place is on my list for Sunday night as we will be staying in the area, I heard this place is taking business away from Jamaca de Dios due to its closer location.

Noah
https://foursquare.com/v/noah/4e2c4f8414955dbf7ae34355

And Satay
https://foursquare.com/v/satay-gourmet/4c144109a9c220a1ff57579d

Look like very solid recommendations in terms of food, decor and location, but I'm leaning towards Noah

Thanks to all those who posted addresses, this week I'll do more research on everything posted and I'll be sure to keep you guys posted.

Keep the advice coming, Thanks

ren65amg

Mar 8, 2014
I'm not looking for a wild time. No loud music or drunk loud girls this time around. i want this to be classy

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Ah.. here is the perfect place I forgot about.. it's called La Costilla De adan near colegio la salle off juan pablo duarte. Best burgers in Santiago probably and really everything is great there. The mexican meatballs are highly recommended, it's hard to explain the cuisine but they seem known for their ribs/burgers/meats in general. They also have a schwarma on the menu that my wife enjoyed. It has a semi-urban/modern feel and it's quiet enough for great conversation.

If you guys aren't over 50 y/o I would not recommend pez dorado unfortunately, the food is quite dated and the decor even more so.