Los Haitises

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
You have to go through San Pedro and Hato Mayor, anything else would be quite a detour.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
It's a long day.

It would make for a very long day to travel from the capital to Los Haitises and return. It can be done though with a very early start. Mido is correct as you would have to travel towards San Pedro via the autopista. You follow the road signs for Punta Cana, Higuey and Hato Mayor. Two to three kilometers after crossing the river bridge adjacent to the cement plant you will approach the exit for Hato Mayor. Then from Hato Major you proceed to Sabana de la Mar. The road from Hato Mayor to Sabana de la Mar is not that great in sections. There is a hotel at Sabana de la Mar, Paraiso Cano Hondo, if you wish to overnight. It is adjacent to the park. The same road that brings you to the hotel will bring you to the embarkation point for the park tour. Note: the hotel can arrange a tour$$ or you may wish to go to the embarkation point and negotiate a fee$ with the guides. The guides are mandatory.

Regards,

PJT

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Why don't you try it that way and let us all know how it worked out?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
And If I am leaving from Santo Domingo?
In my opinion I think it is better the new highway

You can do it by the new highway by traveling north as far as the bomba TEXACO and then turning off to the direction of Bayaguana and then onward to Hato Mayor - Sabana de la Mar.

As Mido suggests, let us know how it works out.

Regards,

PJT

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
It would be quicker to drive from Santo Domingo to Sanchez (2 hours max) on the new Santo Domingo/Samana Hwy, then in Sanchez take a local boat across to Los Haitises.
All the tour operators out of Las Terrenas catch boats out of Sanchez for the national parc.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
When you arrive to Sanchez turn right off the main road and head down the hill on Calle Independencia towards the bay, when you hit the water you will need to ask or look for the small boats, they are all mostly local panga type boats. Anybody in Sanchez will tell you where to go.

Google "Sanchez, RD" and click on the map.

Regarding price ??... No clue, but you will be competing for prices with the tour operators in Las Terrenas & their clients, a private boat through them is around 400 $US (?) for the day.

Last edited:

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Los Haitises Excursions

... a private boat through them is around 400 $US (?) for the day.

Excursions to Los Haitises are also done from Saman? (town).
To join a party there may cost around 60 or 70 $ per person.
There is a German diving instructor who owns a boat and organizes those tours as well.
Ask me for details.

donP