Santiago de Los Caballeros to Punta Cana

chlobot

Mar 8, 2014
Hi everyone! I'm in the process of planning a trip to the Dominican Republic in May, and am finding that the plane tickets from Phoenix to Santiago are much cheaper than to Punta Cana. However, I'm having trouble finding a reasonable way to get from Santiago to Punta Cana once I land. Do you guys know how best to get from one place to the other?

Thanks for your help!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
By the time you pay for transportation from Santiago to Punta Cana will you really have saved any money? They are not anywhere near each other and the time spent to travel is a day lost on both ends. Bite the bullet and fly into the airport closest to your hotel. A lot less hastle.

LTSteve

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Time is money

If you want to experience the Dominican countryside and the big cities; then fly to Santiago. Nevertheless, be aware the trip between Santiago and Punta Cana is going to be a 6-9 hr transit depending on traffic density, time of day, availability of bus passenger space, and experience of drivers.

Time is money. Beginning at Santiago airport expect: 1 hr +- for customs clearance, acquire taxi to bus terminal(s), securing bus seating (first come first served), travel to Santo Domingo bus terminal, aquiring taxi to cross city to grab the Expreso Bavaro bus (first come first served), travel to Punta Cana, drop off at resort entrance or bus terminal.

If you do not wish this type of difficulty then fly from Phoenix to Punta Cana. It may be worth the increase.

You have to plan accordingly. Santiago - Punta Cana transit depends of ready availability and schedules of surface transportation at times of flight arrivals and departures.

Good Luck and Regards,

PJT

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I really can't find MUCH fault with PJT's arguement EXCEPT that most people spend a few minutes, never an hour fer God's Sakes, getting out of the terminal. Please!

That said, there is some reasoning going on.
1) A cab to Santiago Bus station is about RD$500 and 20-25 minutes
2) Buses leaving to Santo Domingo leave every half hour, so that should not be a problem--it is at least a two hour ride.
3) A taxi to Expreso B?varo will cost at least RD$150 and maybe RD$200, and take 20 minutes.
4) The express bus to B?varo will take perhaps 2 1/2 hours with the new highway--Sorry I do not know the cost.

Under the best of situations you are probably looking at a 7 to 8 hour transfer and 9 hours is more likely. Cost is minimun of course.

I know Spirit flies into Punta Cana, so you might want to look at flights to FLL (Ft Lauderdale Intl) and then to Punta Cana. It is a guess but it might work.

Weigh the differences...You will see a lot of Dominican countryside, and the buses are comfortable (bring a sweater or jacket, they are chilly)

As a side note: There are relatively cheap charter flights from STI to Punta Cana. It is a 35-45 minute flight. No idea as to the price.

HB