Pico Duarte

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
A group of friends is planning a trip to Pico Duarte. They invited my wife and me along, I'll have to start running in the park as per today to be able to go, but I want to give it a try.

However, I have some questions I want to drop here to not solely depend on the information from these (dominican) friends.

We are supposed to be a group of 22 people. Will bring guides and a cook, food is taken care of. Transportation from SD to the start of the climb included. Cost is 5,500 pesos per capita. Sounds reasonable to me, but if I calculate that this is about RD$120,000, I start thinking we could probably find ways to make it cheaper, being such a large group.

However my main question is: what gear should we bring? These friends are mostly well off dominicans, and as they normally do, they buy the fanciest stuff, just because they can, and that's how they are raised and how the culture is. Hiking shoes, camel bags, tents, head lights, and a bunch of other stuff.

I just want to bring (and buy) what is necessary. Anyone here who has made this trip and can give me some realistic ideas of what to bring?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dress for Holland in winter!
I hear it is very cold at the top.
About half way up you will be thinking, "WTF" was I THINKING about!!!!!!!!
Dutch people and mountains don't match!!!!!
Can you say, "My Legs Are KILLING ME"?????
AND, you will have to listen to your wife as well! :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
Stay home and look at the pictures when they get back!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

sent from the armchair in my livingroom

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
My wife should be more in shape than I am. She goes to the gym every other day, and when she doesn't go she works out at home...

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
If I were you I would opt to take an extra mule. This will give you the option of walking or riding. They will be taking mules for supplies anyway. If you are not used to a horse, bring a riding gel pad or your ass will be sore.
I did it by mule three years ago. I brought every Dominican cell phone carrier with me, both gsm and cdma. There will be no cell service most of the time. Consider a satellite phone, seriously. Its not a time to cut costs. These guides will be ill equipped, believe me. Ask them if they have a 1st aid kit and what is in it.

Aug 6, 2006
One thing I have found indispensable for all hiking and trips is a roll of masking tape: useful for preventing blisters on your feet and lots of other stuff. Cheap and available everywhere. Practice saying "masking tape" with a very heavy accent: 'maakin teip". The Spanish term "cinta de mascar" is not as readily understood.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
You are making a BIG mistake. It will take a lot to go from armchair shape to mountain climbing. Plus the altitude. Unless you have a year to train this is a recipe for a heart attack. Does your wife want to be rid of you? Maybe that's the plan. . Following your heart attack near the top of the Mountain how will you get back down, sssuming you ate still alive? One of the worst ideas I have heard in a long time.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
You are making a BIG mistake. It will take a lot to go from armchair shape to mountain climbing. Plus the altitude. Unless you have a year to train this is a recipe for a heart attack. Does your wife want to be rid of you? Maybe that's the plan. . Following your heart attack near the top of the Mountain how will you get back down, sssuming you ate still alive? One of the worst ideas I have heard in a long time.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
1) Wonderbag – that way you can start cooking and when you get there your meal will be cooked!
Amazon.com: Wonderbag Slow Cooker: Appliances

2) Proven hiking shoes. You should do a test run of a short hike to see if the shoes will not cause a blister. My teenage son put on a pair of sandals with socks and made it. But I had hiking sneakers and had only used them casually and lost two two-nails on the trip for friction in the shoe. You need shoes that can get wet, can take you through mud and rocks.

3) Sun screen, lightweight clothing, warm clothing for the night. Sleeping bag for 0 degree temperature.

4) There are good camping facilities built by the Ministry of Environment at Valle del Bao, one further down at Comparticion.

You take your sleeping bag and then lay it down inside the camping facility, which is better than the tent. There are rustic bathrooms there, too. If your friends are bringing tents, for camping out, then you need a tent that can keep you warm with 0C.

When I went, we hiked all up to the Valle del Bao in a single day because our group chief wanted us to stay in Valle del Bao where the camping facility was brand new.

Suggest you go in an off month. We went in October and had the camp site practically to ourselves. It fits about 100 people, and we were just our group of about 15 and then two or three others.

I strongly suggest you go in an off month to better take in the beauty of nature.

Pico Duarte is an expensive trip. RD$5,500 is not much to pay. There should be a mule for each person, because you never know who will get tired, or injured.

You should give yourself time to go up. Better to take two days to go up, one day up there, and another day to come down.

You can have all the fancy equipment in the world, and you still have to walk up.

You need to know how to pack your stuff so it doesn’t get wet from dew or rain.

You need to have a group leader who is supportive.

I usually recommend going up with experienced operations. And being willing to pay for an experienced organizer. Our group leader had been there maybe 50 times before. And he knew our needs. He brought gourmet food for cooking at the top, but when we got there we had to wait for the meal. Better to send a group ahead to start the cooking, or bring up the Wonderbag suggested here. You can prepare that in the camp site and it cooks on the way up. The bag stays cool outside so it is not a problem for the mule.

Pico Duarte is a wonderful trip but you need to be with an experienced outfit. Do not do it on your own unless you are an experienced hiker.

I would say you need to be able to go up a 10 flight building non-stop or else you are not in shape enough to go.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Wonderbag – that way you can start cooking and when you get there your meal will be cooked!

Proven hiking shoes. You should do a test run of a short hike to see if the shoes will not cause a blister. My teenage son put on a pair of sandals with socks and made it. But I had hiking sneakers and had only used them casually and lost two two-nails on the trip for friction in the shoe. You need shoes that can get wet, can take you through mud and rocks.

Sun screen, lightweight clothing, warm clothing for the night. Sleeping bag for 0 degree temperature.

There are good camping facilities built by the Ministry of Environment at Valle del Bao, one further down at Comparticion.

You take your sleeping bag and then lay it down inside the camping facility, which is better than the tent. There are rustic bathrooms there, too. If your friends are bringing tents, for camping out, then you need a tent that can keep you warm with 0C.

When I went, we hiked all up to the Valle del Bao in a single day because our group chief wanted us to stay in Valle del Bao where the camping facility was brand new.

Suggest you go in an off month. We went in October and had the camp site practically to ourselves. It fits about 100 people, and we were just our group of about 15 and then two or three others.

I strongly suggest you go in an off month to better take in the beauty of nature.

Pico Duarte is an expensive trip. RD$5,500 is not much to pay. There should be a mule for each person, because you never know who will get tired, or injured.

You should give yourself time to go up. Better to take two days to go up, one day up there, and another day to come down.

You can have all the fancy equipment in the world, and you still have to walk up.

I usually recommend going up with experienced operations. And being willing to pay for an experienced organizer. Our group leader had been there maybe 50 times before. And he knew our needs. He brought gourmet food for cooking at the top, but when we got there we had to wait for the meal. Better to send a group ahead to start the cooking, or bring up the Wonderbag suggested here. You can prepare that in the camp site and it cooks on the way up. The bag stays cool outside so it is not a problem for the mule.

Pico Duarte is a wonderful trip but you need to be with an experienced outfit. Do not do it on your own unless you are an experienced hiker.

I would say you need to be able to go up a 10 flight building non-stop or else you are not in shape enough to go.

I know friends who went with inexperienced persons and say it was the worst experience in the world, they were cold, wet, and hungry… struggling, they couldn't appreciate nature because they were miserable.

Just as well, if well equipped and prepared, the trip to Pico Duarte can be a memorable experience… I remember singing "I'm on the top of the world looking down on creation…"

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Hogwash, you have no idea of his age or what shape he is in. It is a long, not very steep mountain climb, so yes you have to be in reasonably good shape. Make sure you wear good footwear, underwear, and appropriate pants. Layer your upper body and take a waterproof hat and raingear. Have some bandages, first-ad cream, and moleskin for blisters. Whatever footwear you use, like light hiking boots, break them in for at least a week prior to going and have a second pair. Good idea to take some energy bars.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
My husband did it without training when he was in his mid-40s and was absolutely fine. He was in the same group as Dolores and family. I did the Inca Trail in my early 30s without any preparation apart from being moderately fit from cycling to work and back (8 - 10km) most days and walking as part of my daily routine.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Wonderbag – that way you can start cooking and when you get there your meal will be cooked!

Proven hiking shoes. You should do a test run of a short hike to see if the shoes will not cause a blister. My teenage son put on a pair of sandals with socks and made it. But I had hiking sneakers and had only used them casually and lost two two-nails on the trip for friction in the shoe. You need shoes that can get wet, can take you through mud and rocks.

Sun screen, lightweight clothing, warm clothing for the night. Sleeping bag for 0 degree temperature.

There are good camping facilities built by the Ministry of Environment at Valle del Bao, one further down at Comparticion.

I know friends who went with inexperienced persons and say it was the worst experience in the world, they were cold, wet, and hungry… struggling, they couldn't appreciate nature because they were miserable.

Just as well, if well equipped and prepared, the trip to Pico Duarte can be a memorable experience… I remember singing "I'm on the top of the world looking down on creation…"

Great advice, Dolores!, Which would be an off month? Our friends are going in April.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
My husband did it without training when he was in his mid-40s and was absolutely fine. He was in the same group as Dolores and family. I did the Inca Trail in my early 30s without any preparation apart from being moderately fit from cycling to work and back (8 - 10km) most days and walking as part of my daily routine.

I am not super fit, but for some reason each time I start a new cycle going to the gym (which I generally stop after a month or two) and they do a test of fitness before I can start I come out as fit. I'll definitely take up running in the park again and my only worry is I am too late to get in shape for this, if we are joining them early april. Anyway, we are taking 4 days, 2 to climb up, one to stay in Tetero valley and one to climb down. If I don't post anymore on dr1 after the first week of april, y'all know what happened.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I am not super fit, but for some reason each time I start a new cycle going to the gym (which I generally stop after a month or two) and they do a test of fitness before I can start I come out as fit. I'll definitely take up running in the park again and my only worry is I am too late to get in shape for this, if we are joining them early april. Anyway, we are taking 4 days, 2 to climb up, one to stay in Tetero valley and one to climb down. If I don't post anymore on dr1 after the first week of april, y'all know what happened.

Funny, the 1st thing that came to mind was "bring a priest." But when I climbed pico we had five priests in our party, not one prayer was said. The did drink a LOT of rum and tell dirty stories. Would have made CC blush, if thats possible.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
So does anyone know off hand what the altitude is at the top? I had trouble breathing in Mexico city due to altitude. Thanks Der Fish

Pico Duarte at Night 10,114 ft height measured by GPS (Navstar & Glonass)

tinypic.com