avocado farming

Mar 12, 2014
Hi I am considering investing in avocado farm on the South-West coast of DR. Would love to hear from anyone who is actually in the avocado farming business. Any info on the subject will be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Cheers Dimi

my e mail: jewelestate@gmail.com

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Hi I am considering investing in avocado farm on the South-West coast of DR. Would love to hear from anyone who is actually in the avocado farming business. Any info on the subject will be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Cheers Dimi

my e mail: jewelestate@gmail.com

The one thing I learned is that there are several different varieties and sub varieties. You should do the research and select varieties that work for your area. Local advise is good but they may not be up on the newer ones to plant

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Speaking of avocados are they finished now? Back in January I found some nice big ones and this month I haven't been able to buy any.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Prior to investing, you should visit several avocado farms. I suggest you visit the Junta Agroempresarial Dominicana and express your interest. They know which are the better farms here.
http://www.jad.org.do

I also suggest you visit the Center for Export and Investment (CEI-RD) and get a list of the farms that are exporters. That list will point to the better farms here.
http://www.cei-rd.gov.do/ceird/

In farming you need to know the better areas, the bugs that affect farms, which areas are free of these, etc.

You need to spend a good amount of time doing research.

Also note that people get tired of their farms, so maybe you can buy a working farm and avoid lots of set up work.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Anna, prime time is gone, but as Dolores says, "There are lots of varieties".
The best, in my humble opinion, will not be ripe until summertime.
To paraphrase "Forest Gump,......"Avocados Are Like A Box of Chocolates, You Never Know What You're Gonna GIT"!
I pick the BEST ONES off the tree in my yard, just like the "Best Mangos"!
Did you ever think of planting avocado, and/or Mango trees in Your Backyard????????
Consider the fast growing varieties, say, seed to fruit in 3 months!!!!!!
:devious::devious::devious::devious::devious::devious::devious:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Speaking of avocados are they finished now? Back in January I found some nice big ones and this month I haven't been able to buy any.

Our trees seem to have a million babies on them, wondering if any will be ready for us to enjoy before it's time to go back to reality.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
In a word,..."No"!!!!!!!
But rest assured, Someone will be enjoying them!
I would sooner leave my kids in the DR, rather than my ripe Avocados!!!!!!
"AE",......."I Feel Your Pain"!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Anna, prime time is gone,
Did you ever think of planting avocado, and/or Mango trees in Your Backyard????????
Consider the fast growing varieties, say, seed to fruit in 3 months!!!!!!
:devious::devious::devious::devious::devious::devious::devious:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Nope, if I had they would be ready as I leave. Can they grow in pots in Canada?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My mother grew Avocados, & lemons as house plants years ago in Illinois, so It should work in Canada.
They spent summers outside.
Anna, put all that on a "Pan de Agua" with a little "EVOO", and a "pinch" of "Kosher Salt"!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I've never figured out why it should be. Rain isn't that regular.

I know, at least now farmers can use irrigation systems for some crops. They didn't have that option in the "Little House on the Prairie" days. I'm just glad I don't get locust invasions...

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Well........ here in the dr, in my conuco, the avocados fall off the trees ( avocado trees obviously....), and Pouffffff small avocado trees grow......

I never water them ( well ok from time to time ) and only when I transplant them to an apropiate place ( who needs a conuco full of avocado trees...).

I once had the dream of selling avocados ( sic )...... this year I sold 500 avocados on 2 seperate occasions.....
Here in the campo, they are worth nothing, I cant remember but around 5 pesos I think ( when u sell ). I had a type they like ( crelloja ???)
Even though I sold them at the market in POP, it wasnt really worth it.

For it to be worth it u would need hundreds of trees.....

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Well........ here in the dr, in my conuco, the avocados fall off the trees ( avocado trees obviously....), and Pouffffff small avocado trees grow......

I never water them ( well ok from time to time ) and only when I transplant them to an apropiate place ( who needs a conuco full of avocado trees...).

I once had the dream of selling avocados ( sic )...... this year I sold 500 avocados on 2 seperate occasions.....
Here in the campo, they are worth nothing, I cant remember but around 5 pesos I think ( when u sell ). I had a type they like ( crelloja ???)
Even though I sold them at the market in POP, it wasnt really worth it.

For it to be worth it u would need hundreds of trees.....

My BIL has a finca in Ocoa mountains, and has a LOT of avocado trees, over a thousand if I'm not mistaken. He sells them in bulk [not separated by size, which is otherwise required], last group was 30,000 avocados to one guy, I think he got about 20 pesos each for them, which surprised me. Said he could have gotten more if they were packed by size.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
Some might call the Avocado the perfect food... extremely nutritious, filling, inexpensive, tasty, easy to prepare...

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
My BIL has a finca in Ocoa mountains, and has a LOT of avocado trees, over a thousand if I'm not mistaken. He sells them in bulk [not separated by size, which is otherwise required], last group was 30,000 avocados to one guy, I think he got about 20 pesos each for them, which surprised me. Said he could have gotten more if they were packed by size.

Where about would that be..... at 20 pesos a piece, I would sell them and let more trees grow.....
Since I am more or less " selfsufficent" ( some variaties, the bulk, are ready at the end of summer but I also have some trees that give fruit nearly all year round....) I cannot for the sake of me remember the price in the "roaming cars". I THINK MIL said she bought some last week at 15 pesos cada uno..........

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Where about would that be..... at 20 pesos a piece, I would sell them and let more trees grow.....
Since I am more or less " selfsufficent" ( some variaties, the bulk, are ready at the end of summer but I also have some trees that give fruit nearly all year round....) I cannot for the sake of me remember the price in the "roaming cars". I THINK MIL said she bought some last week at 15 pesos cada uno..........

Where would what be?? This was in Ocoa, not sure of the variety, I'm sure they were for export, and they look for large quantities.

We were paying 15 pesos in January, but everywhere near us they're 30 pesos right now, if you can even find them.

The exported ones do well in the US - the big green ones, [not the little Haas], often go for over $2 each, we've paid close to $3 several times.