Misspelled Name

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Hello DR1, this one is a doozy. Let me start with some background history about my wife and our issue.

She was in the US from ages 2-14. She has lived here in DR ever since. She cannot go back to the US because she does not have the correct paperwork. She was never deported. Her paperwork here in the DR is as follows:

Cedula: Cesil
License: Cesil
Diploma: Cesil
Bank Accounts: Cesil
Marriage Certificate: Cesil
Bills in her name: Cesil
American passport from when she was a child: Cesil

Everything from her entire life has been using Cesil with an S. The problem is with her birth certificate spelling.

Birth Certificate: Cecil

How do we go about correcting this?

Feb 7, 2007
Well, if the BC states "c" you should be able to get the license, cedula etc changed to cecil with "c" as well...

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Her whole life has been living as Cesil with "S". According to the book keepers, the "C" and "S" look very similar in that particular person's handwriting. It is much less expensive and a much easier process to have the birth certificate corrected.

@Harley:

We are not trying to change her name nor do we want to, we just want the birth certificate to be corrected.

Her whole life has been living as Cesil with "S". According to the book keepers, the "C" and "S" look very similar in that particular person's handwriting. It is much less expensive and a much easier process to have the birth certificate corrected.

@Harley:

We are not trying to change her name nor do we want to, we just want the birth certificate to be corrected.

but to do that you may have to do the whole change the name form, even if it is just one letter.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
If we have to go that route we will. I just can't believe someone has lived their whole life and the government doesn't have the correct information.

s1mpleton

Dec 24, 2013
If we have to go that route we will. I just can't believe someone has lived their whole life and the government doesn't have the correct information.

like the govt has anything correct...except the count on money in their pockets.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Afternoon, Since she has a US passport she must be a US citizen why not just renew it? Unless of course it was obtained fraudulently.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Good Afternoon, Since she has a US passport she must be a US citizen why not just renew it? Unless of course it was obtained fraudulently.

Her mother never finished the legal process in the States and abandoned her here in the DR. It was over 10 years ago and there is nothing that can be done regarding that passport.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
You have to be a US citizen to get a US passport. If she actually had a US passport she is US citizen. Her mother cannot take that away.

Feb 7, 2007
I concur with Santiaguero. She has passport, she must be citizen. The US embassy should be able to get the file by using the old passport info.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
I don't believe you would be 'changing the birth certificate'; it would be an official and legal change of name.
I've done it twice: in the UK and in Canada. I don't know the USA or DR process.

wbr

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
I was misinformed, it was a Dominican Passport. Her mother did not finish her citizenship paperwork.