Santiago to Pedernales

Norma Taveras

Mar 12, 2014
Hi,

I am looking for assistance in traveling from Santiago to Pedernales. I am planning to travel in August 2014...yeah, I know.. really bad time to visit... but it is the only time I can. It will be a large group (15-20 ppl) and we would of course take a bus with a private driver however, driver is not knowledgeable with the SW part of DR therefore, need to prepare well before taking this trip. Here is where I need your/ anyone's help:

1) How long is the drive from Santiago to Pedernales? Realistically speaking? lol

2) Are there any tour guides/ packages from Santiago to Pedernales (incase I don't take the private bus)?

3) While driving to Pedernales, what stops are best recommended? We would like to see/ Do the following during this trip:

- Bani since I hear they have the best sweets there and bakery. Could be on the way back if need be.
- Zip lines
- buggy tours
- Rivers are A must.. we love rivers.. been reading about San Rafael and Los Patos.. not sure which is better
- Caves
- Of course we could not leave the beautiful beaches out.. but that I know it is Bahia de las Aguilas.

We are not too fond of peaceful things.. (Yes, we are loud a bunch :) so, not sure if el Hoyo de Pempito is worth the drive or Laguna de Oviedo but if really breathtaking, then of course we will make it happen..

Another thing, we only have 3 days to spare for this trip and this is already too much.. Any local tour guides that you can recommend to make the process much faster? name/#?

Any feedback regarding the above is greatly appreciated :)

Thanks everyone in advance..

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Hi,

I am looking for assistance in traveling from Santiago to Pedernales. I am planning to travel in August 2014...yeah, I know.. really bad time to visit... but it is the only time I can. It will be a large group (15-20 ppl) and we would of course take a bus with a private driver however, driver is not knowledgeable with the SW part of DR therefore, need to prepare well before taking this trip. Here is where I need your/ anyone's help:

1) How long is the drive from Santiago to Pedernales? Realistically speaking? lol

I have just done it. It is 5 hours to Barahona and another 2 to Pedernales

2) Are there any tour guides/ packages from Santiago to Pedernales (incase I don't take the private bus)?

Not that i know of

3) While driving to Pedernales, what stops are best recommended? We would like to see/ Do the following during this trip:

- Bani since I hear they have the best sweets there and bakery. Could be on the way back if need be.

best for sweets is the Cruce de Ocoa after Bani
- Zip lines
- buggy tours
- Rivers are A must.. we love rivers.. been reading about San Rafael and Los Patos.. not sure which is better

San Rafael has more fish shacks and Los Patos was being renovated - so not sure on the day. I would do San Rafael just in case
- Caves
- Of course we could not leave the beautiful beaches out.. but that I know it is Bahia de las Aguilas.
Yes it is amazing - but you need to get there by boat which ranges from RD$2000 to RD$8000 depending on number of people. Take a picnic and remember try and go when less tourists so you can get a tree for shade - ie not Saturday or Sunday.

We are not too fond of peaceful things.. (Yes, we are loud a bunch :) so, not sure if el Hoyo de Pempito is worth the drive or Laguna de Oviedo but if really breathtaking, then of course we will make it happen..

Lake Oviedo is amazing but a 2.5 hour boat tour is RD$3500 pesos. It is on the way to Bahia de las Aguilas from Barahona.

Another thing, we only have 3 days to spare for this trip and this is already too much.. Any local tour guides that you can recommend to make the process much faster? name/#?

Any feedback regarding the above is greatly appreciated :)

More info needed - pm me

Thanks everyone in advance..

Hope that helps

Matilda

Aug 6, 2006
The drive from Barahona to Los Patos is beautiful. San Rafael has a freshwater stream, dammed up into two pools that flows diagonally into the ocean. The beach consists of small round pebbles mostly. You can rent a table and buy food there, or bring your own picnic. Los Patos has a freshwater pool that flows rather slowly into the ocean. The beach is a finer sort of sand. The Ocean at San Rafael is pretty rough, with big waves. At Los Patos it is more subdued. You can also rent a table, buy food or bring a picnic to Los Patos. There are several beaches at Los Patos that do not have freshwater streams. There are several hotels and restaurants at Los Patos. Paraiso is between the two. The ocean is pretty rough and the beach is two to three inch rounded pebbles, with trash in several places. Paraiso is built on a steep incline.

There are no banks or ATMs between Barahona and Pedernales. You might get dollars changed at a banca (lottery dealer).

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Beaches I recommend Quemaito, about 5 km after you leave Barahona on your way to Pedernales, it's a gorgeous beach with tiny pebbles and shallow waters protected by coral reef, hardly any waves, more like a lagoon, you can find zip lines at hotel Casa Bonita in Bahoruco, roughly 16 KM after you pass Barahona on your way to Pedernales. San Rafael & Los Patos both offer good rivers and fresh water pools but in Los Patos you can find caves also, just ask around.

Laguna Oviedo is right off the road to Pedernales, access is very easy and the entrance fee is nominal so I suggest you visit it, take the boat trip to see the flamingo colony and stop at the the iguanas islet and do some iguana and bird watching, the boat trip costs approximately 2,500 for 8 people.

Pelempito is a long drive and if you're pressed for time I would not recommend it unless you're a nature freak, is good for doing some "senderismo", trail walking and some light hiking and seeing nature at its best but the trip will take you about 4 hours to go and come back, it's the same road to Bah?a de las Aguilas but on the opposite direction... of course BDLA is a must, but stop at Cabo Rojo beach on your way to BDLA, it's a gorgeous beach also and enjoy your adventure!

mastiphal25

Oct 22, 2013
It's possible to do the drive in 6 hours if you go at the speed limit all the time and there are no difficulties on the way.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Transiting

Pelempito is a long drive and if you're pressed for time I would not recommend it unless you're a nature freak, is good for doing some "senderismo", trail walking and some light hiking and seeing nature at its best but the trip will take you about 4 hours to go and come back, it's the same road to Bah?a de las Aguilas but on the opposite direction

Please note: If you are traveling by bus you will only be able to travel as far as the gated entrance of Hoyo de Pelempito. Transiting the two-three kms to the park observation point by the narrow dirt road is by 4x4 or high clearance 4x2. If it has been raining the 4x2 is questionable as there are multiple locations along the road it could get trapped in mud ruts and/or unable to pass slippery inclines.

Regards,

PJT

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am going to recommend Camping Tours (Camping Tours) They have been in this business so long that they are monuments.

They are very group oriented--in fact they are the best group trip organizers in the area!

Give them a call--English is okay--or go over there if you want.

They are easy to deal with. And in the DR, it is always better to "Leave the driving to them" ..

And they will tailor make your trip to your specifications.

HB