American dating a dominican woman 101

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe15

Mar 3, 2014
I recently started dating a Dominican girl and want to know what it take to bring her to America. What would be the over all cost of marrying her? Some people I heard from say it's thousands of dollars. Also, what is her earning potential in America if she's in college. Just want to know what I'm getting into bringing her here to America financially in the beginning stage. I seen post on here about this subject but it's pieces here and there and never saw enough info.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
It will cost you everything you own, plus more. And don't forget she will bring a friend who always orders the most expensive thing on the menu. Naturally, she will not like it, but will insist to take the rest home in a doggy bag. Once she gets her permanent residence, that will be the last day you ever see her or your furniture. :)

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I recently started dating a Dominican girl and want to know what it take to bring her to America. What would be the over all cost of marrying her?

Can you put a price on your sanity..............

B in Santiago

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I must ask you this question: Are you related to Trainman?
Don't know who he is? Look up his posts.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I recently started dating a Dominican girl and want to know what it take to bring her to America. What would be the over all cost of marrying her? Some people I heard from say it's thousands of dollars. Also, what is her earning potential in America if she's in college. Just want to know what I'm getting into bringing her here to America financially in the beginning stage. I seen post on here about this subject but it's pieces here and there and never saw enough info.

i have no idea how long you have known this girl, or what your communication level is. i have one word of advice for you, and it is this; please listen, with ears wide open, to the responses that you get from posters here. NEVER respond to them by saying "but my girl is different" . if she was, someone would have snagged her long before you got here. you aren't that lucky that this gem was just waiting for you. this island fever thing almost always ends badly, and you could end up being the proud owner of a spare a$$hole in very short order.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You've received sound but crude advice here. If you have any sense you'll sit back, take it all in, read some more threads, and approach your situation with your eyes wide open. It doesn't mean you have to write off this girl you are interested in, just go slow, be cautious, and realistic. There are some gems ( girls worth your while) but finding a diamond amongst all the coal means you have to know how to mine diamonds.
I have been married to a Dominicana for 15 years next month.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
You RECENTLY started dating her and already want to take her to your hometown? You should allow yourself more time to get to know her. You are going too fast and you may crash. Slow down.:)

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
Done it twice .. both lasted about 10 years. The first was a Filipina (I was a naive 24 yo in the US Navy), the second from Colombia. Neither left w big bucks...of course there were no children involved. Both are now successful US citizens making good money. Here in the RD my current girlfriend knows I wont be inviting her to the US..she is fine with that. The Dominicanas expect a Gringo that can support them well but Not all are in it solely for a visa.

Aug 6, 2006
Keep in mind that American culture is overwhelming in may ways: advertising, marketing, and such that we Americans have become somewhat immune to tend to cause overload in the mind of Latinas. Separation from family and friends is also traumatic for many. American culture tends to transform a lot of people into nasty, competitive keeping up with the Joneses maniacs, and the charming Island girl can easily turn into a rather poor imitation of a nagging American wife. Your Dominican wife will tend to spend most of her time watching telenovelas and chatting on the phone, because the US is a very lonely place for people who have never been lonely.

Space Mountain is fun where it is. If you were to uproot it and replant it in your front yard, it would tend to lose its charm and appeal. Most people, both here in the US and there in the DR have only a rather vague idea of what they want out of life, and quite often they get what they though they wanted and it turns out to be a bit of a nightmare.

The US government does not want unskilled Latinas, especially Dominicanas, to immigrate, and makes the procedure expensive, time consuming and complicated. It may be worth the bother for you, but you seem far too enthusiastic. It is not easy to find someone who is compatible, it takes time and effort.

Love and passion are rather different things. Passion and marriage do not always fit well together. Often they are mutually exclusive. The Great God Horn is a powerful deity, but treacherous. Time and the environment changes us all no matter who we are or where we live, and not always in the same ways and at the same pace.

Feb 15, 2005
The costs are formidable. Marry her in the DR is the route to go if you forge ahead, and then apply for residency for her as your wife. This includes signing that if she applies for welfare of any kind in the future for 5 years you are responsible for paying that money back. When I reached that point a social worker said to me "You are the victim here." I assured her that I had worked hard to get myself into that position. The paper work for her residency can be done by you and her. It does not need the services of a lawyer, and I know several cases where the person later felt the process was delayed because they got a lawyer involved. Love is a crap shoot no matter where you find it. 50% of marriages end in divorce, the other 50% have to die to get out of it. Good luck and if she is on the North Coast look up my lady and I when you are here and we'll go out together.
Der Fish

Joe, this is an offer I would not refuse. Hang out and get a view from someone that's not, mind and puzzy whipped. lol Just kidding of course (green font). However, you should meet others (that she doesn't know) in DR and see how your new girl meshes. You will be bringing her around friends and family back home right? Start here and see what to expect from the woman who will represent you, before jumping in head first into the shallow end of the pool.

Feb 15, 2005
Space Mountain is fun where it is. If you were to uproot it and replant it in your front yard, it would tend to lose its charm and appeal. Most people, both here in the US and there in the DR have only a rather vague idea of w.

Can I use this? It's an awesome analogy.

The honeymoon period can such a drugging and aphrodisiatic (word?) experience.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
If you don't mind sacrificing your sanity, money and you can put up with the inevitable mountains of drama and you have the patience to deal with a temperamental "I am a Queen" mentality all for a hot piece of arm candy. Well.. have at it, sounds like a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.