US$ 500 deposit ?

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Is it normal or usual for the lawyer of somebody selling a house to demand a US$ 500 deposit from them ?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Deposit for what?

Is it normal or usual for the lawyer of somebody selling a house to demand a US$ 500 deposit from them ?

Change the laywer.
Only pay for services rendered {and find out what they cost in advance}.

donP

Aug 6, 2006
I have had brokers tell me this several times. They have said that it is standard procedure, everyone does this.

It's like them telling you like "This house can't last at this price. There is another buyer who wants it.

I have ignored this and simply walked on.

All you need is one house, after all.

If it is a custom, time to educate them that we are not cooperating with it.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Dump the lawyer, get a new one, if you need a good one in the POP area, pm me and I will give you her information.....she doesn't speak the best English, but its not too bad, but a great RE lawyer

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Your question seems to be a little confusing in the way you have worded it? If you are selling the house and have a purchase offer on it than a retainer for the attorney to begin processing documents for the completion of the sale is not out of the ordinary. On the other hand if you are selling the house and don't yet have a buyer than I don't know why you would need an attorney, unless you want him or her to draw up a future purchase offer contract.

LTSTeve