single male writer lking for inexpensive 1 bdrm sosua/cabarete for 2 wks end April

javan

Apr 12, 2005
Non smoker, non drinker middle aged male writer who has been to the DR before looking for a quiet place to rest, unwind and do some writing in the Sosua /Cabarete area. I especially like quiet type places with lush vegetation to enjoy nature or be able to enjoy the pool on the property or the sea nearby. The area between Sosua and Cabarete is great too as long as it is not too difficult to get into town. I haven't been to the DR in awhile but am concerned with some of the threads I have been reading on here as far as safety issues are concerned. Obviously, I would need some place with good security. Is it still safe as far as walking around at night in those areas, as long as it's not too late? I am planning on staying 10 days to 2 weeks toward the latter half of April or when prices drop. Dates are flexible. I am looking at spending around $3-400 for a one bedroom rental for that time. I am involved with humanitarian work in the developing world and am back in the US on a break and to write up the story of my adventures over past years abroad. The DR is one of my favorite places on earth and I have sent many folks down that way. Thanks for any advice or suggestions you may have. I appreciate it!

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Check this place where I live. Suncampdr.com
It's in Munoz, in the campo in front of Playa Dorada. Cheap accomodations, rustic style but with an atmosphere that you will love. People from all over the world come here.

10 minutes away from Puerto Plata with the public taxi at 30 pesos. Pulbic Beach is 5 minutes away and we have a river on site. Very nice place.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Non smoker, non drinker middle aged male writer who has been to the DR before looking for a quiet place to rest, unwind and do some writing in the Sosua /Cabarete area. I especially like quiet type places with lush vegetation to enjoy nature or be able to enjoy the pool on the property or the sea nearby. The area between Sosua and Cabarete is great too as long as it is not too difficult to get into town. I haven't been to the DR in awhile but am concerned with some of the threads I have been reading on here as far as safety issues are concerned. Obviously, I would need some place with good security. Is it still safe as far as walking around at night in those areas, as long as it's not too late? I am planning on staying 10 days to 2 weeks toward the latter half of April or when prices drop. Dates are flexible. I am looking at spending around $3-400 for a one bedroom rental for that time. I am involved with humanitarian work in the developing world and am back in the US on a break and to write up the story of my adventures over past years abroad. The DR is one of my favorite places on earth and I have sent many folks down that way. Thanks for any advice or suggestions you may have. I appreciate it!

Based on your personal preferences I don't think Cabarate, Sosua is the place you are looking for. Check out Las Terrenas and the Samana Peninsula. Google, Hotel Miraposa or Hotel/Apartment Paseo.

LTSteve

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Based on your personal preferences I don't think Cabarate, Sosua is the place you are looking for. Check out Las Terrenas and the Samana Peninsula. Google, Hotel Miraposa or Hotel/Apartment Paseo.

LTSteve

Here you go again LTSteve. Always putting down Sosua/Cabarete in favour of LT. To the OP, I think Sosua/Cabarete will suit you fine!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Here you go again LTSteve. Always putting down Sosua/Cabarete in favour of LT. To the OP, I think Sosua/Cabarete will suit you fine!

In his defense, he didn't put down Sosua/cabarete but suggested an alternative :cross-eye

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
I find that most dreamers ( Liberals ) generally hang out at Starbucks, buy a coffee that lasts all day and sit there hogging a table from a paying customer "writing the dream novel", that will never get published... Every Starbucks has one or two of these left wing nuts...

Aug 6, 2006
I do not think that political views are related to hanging out at Starbucks. I do not think that writing "dream novels" is related to politics, either. I have never been to a Starbucks that was short of table space. But I rarely visit Starbucks and if I did write a novel, I would write it at home. One pretty much would have to hang out all day at a Starbucks to know how long someone else hung out there, by the way... Just sayin'.

I think that one might be able to make better conclusions regarding men with large neck tattoos or skulls and swastikas than about people hanging out at Starbucks.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyy, I wasn't putting down Sosua, Cabarate. I looked at the description of what this poster actually said. Non smoker, non drinker, quiet place. This does not discribe your neck of the woods. I attempt to give good advice and this has no bearing on your feelings. Deal with it.

LTSTeve

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
In his defense, he didn't put down Sosua/cabarete but suggested an alternative :cross-eye

Africaida:

Thanks for coming to my defense. The gentleman that wrote the original post is looking for good info. Many people on this forum do not really read what he is asking and look at his needs. He is a non smoker, non drinker and wants quiet. That does not seem to fit the area he was looking in. I guess that is up for debate. If those that respond put more of their energy into giving some real info and not wasting our time on nonsense this would be a much better forum.

LTSteve

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Africaida:

Thanks for coming to my defense. The gentleman that wrote the original post is looking for good info. Many people on this forum do not really read what he is asking and look at his needs. He is a non smoker, non drinker and wants quiet. That does not seem to fit the area he was looking in. I guess that is up for debate. If those that respond put more of their energy into giving some real info and not wasting our time on nonsense this would be a much better forum.

LTSteve

I'd agree with you, if he didn't specify he wanted Sosua or Cabarete in the OP.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
a "writer"? really? who do you think you are, graham greene? this is not exactly the country that exudes literary inspiration. so you can save "writer" for your blog and just say "male". no need to impress us.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
a "writer"? really? who do you think you are, graham greene? this is not exactly the country that exudes literary inspiration. so you can save "writer" for your blog and just say "male". no need to impress us.

Ah dv8, DR1's unofficial Welcome Wagon Lady.

Now, write on the blackboard 100 times: "I will not be mean to new members".

:p

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
How about the guy who said "I'll be leave the Dr soon." He also claimed to be a writer, but never answered when asked what his first language was.
Lots of writers here. A lot of us spend 3 or 4 hours a day writing.
Der Fish

I just had an idea. I'm writing a book

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
I do freelance writing and we are up just the other side of the International School, quiet, peaceful, nature (saw some parrots today) and rent is cheap with a pool! Can get a whole house for 400US probably way too big but there are places!