Safe areas to live in SD.

We are thinking about renting in SD for a while, not anytime soon as we have to sell our house but I wanted to start looking around at some places.
What are some nice areas in or close to SD to live in? It must be a house since we have 6 dogs 2 cats. 2 bedroom type thing.
I have no idea what rental prices are there but I wouldn't want to spend much over $1000 a month.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
For $1,000 a month you can stay here!
WITH all your "Animals"!
Check DR1 rentals, although I haven't seen many "Houses" for rent there.
I'll check the "Want Adds" Manana!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

what happened with the beach house? not loving Sosua any more?

It is ruining the wife's instruments and way too much constant maintenance.
Derfish I dislike POP. We only
want to rent there for a year to see if we like it but will
probably head back to the NC. It isn't 100%, either Cab/sosua or SD. I like the NC but really miss normal stores, movie theatres etc.

Consider STI. Close to NC. Safer than SD. All the normal strores. Oh, also all the usual characters.

What kind of instruments - musical?

Her digital piano she has only had for 6 months is screwing up and her amp is not working. I have had to fix my new MacBook Pro already and it only worked for a few months after it was fixed and the wife's Mac book pro needs fixing too! I can see the salt in the air at night on my outside cameras.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Los Cacicazgos, los Prados, Las Praderas, Bella vista, Castellano, los Restauradores, Evaristo Morales, La Julieta, Los Rios (I know a family that lives in Los rios, renting a huge house with pool and big garden, they might be moving end of this year, they are renting and paying not that much (but more than usd1000).

Most he ouses in these sectors are over USD1000 / month probably, houses in SD are probably much more expensive than NC. Arroyo Hondo has many options, but I wouldn't call it very safe. (Sorry CC). Too many 'barrios'. On the other hand, places like Cuesta Hermosa in AH are probably safe enough.

Btw, in my opinion, going to SD might be your first step of going back to Canada.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If it's fast city living, nightlife and culture you're after, it would be down to two options - the Colonial Zone/Ciudad Nueva area (possibly also Gazcue/Zona Universitaria) or the areas in and around the modern city centre: Naco, Piantini, Evaristo Morales, Julieta, Paraiso, Urb Fern?ndez.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
You will get use to SD, all the big city headaches with all the big city fun. El Millon is a fairly decent area. Gazcue is also an area I like. We have a friend who rents a nice place in Gazcue at a decent price. It all depends which area you want to live in and what you want to be near. Like everyone will agree traffic is a big pain in the a** but you eventually figure out best times to travel and best routes to take. Never a dull moment....

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The closer to the center of the city you go, the fewer houses and they more expensive they are.
East SD has some small neighborhoods with stand alone houses for rent.
They have "Walled Yards" for the "Animals", and short ride to SD Center for the other "Animals"!
Mauricio, those "Barrios Calientes" in Arroyo Hondo,
produce those "Chicas Calientes"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::p:p:p:p:p:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Those six dogs are going to be hard to place in the city. One or two perhaps but SIX.. ?? That is going to put you in negihborhoods pretty far away from the center of things.. Casigasgos, Arroyo Hondo, Los Rios.. might have enough room.

Also, not sure that you are going to be closer to a swimmable ocean here in SD than in STI..

May 12, 2005
Those six dogs are going to be hard to place in the city. One or two perhaps but SIX.. ?? That is going to put you in negihborhoods pretty far away from the center of things.. Casigasgos, Arroyo Hondo, Los Rios.. might have enough room.

Also, not sure that you are going to be closer to a swimmable ocean here in SD than in STI..

Playa Guayacanes in Juan Dolio is closer to the capital than STI is to Sosua.