OMG, they're paving our road!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Last year, the government started building a new school, the new road that goes to it is close to our house. Previously, we only had a one story elementary school. This one is 3 stories, goes through high school, has cafeteria and all the bells and whistles. Great for the community, maybe more kids will get high school education and then go on to higher eduction and do something with their lives.

Our road is dirt, it was dirt 30+ years ago when we bought the property. Politicians have come and gone, all of them promising to pave the road. The dust that is kicked up by cars and motos is unbelievable - on any given day you'll see people throwing water on the road to keep the dirt/dust to a minimum.

Yesterday afternoon, about 4 pm, we hear a lot of truck noise in front of our house. Mr. AE went out, and came back in with the amazing news that they are paving our road this week. Yesterday they dug down [road currently almost a foot below our entrance/driveway], today gravel coming in, and we're told it will be completed before Monday - when President Danilo Medina is supposed to be here to inaugurate the school.

The road is being paved from the beach, to about 15-20 feet past our entrance, but not to the end of our property. Of course, our neighbors beyond that are screaming bloody murder.

IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Good news AE! But I wonder why they're not continuing down the road, why stop halfway? Or are they just paving the road for el presidente?(spreading the red carpet):tired:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Good news AE! But I wonder why they're not continuing down the road, why stop halfway? Or are they just paving the road for el presidente?(spreading the red carpet):tired:

I think they're paving the road for the new school - did you see it when you were here? It's set back off the road, about 50' closer to the beach from us.

They SAY they will continue the road up to the ball field [past the two colmados], but who knows? Poor Lourdes is beside herself, not paving in front of her house.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012

Hah..
Remember what they did for the Pope's visit in SDQ back in the nineties?
When the VIP's come avisiting......the sky is the limit.
It looks like the long, hot summer will be a little less hot and dusty this year.
Good stuff.
Enjoy.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I think they're paving the road for the new school - did you see it when you were here? It's set back off the road, about 50' closer to the beach from us.

They SAY they will continue the road up to the ball field [past the two colmados], but who knows? Poor Lourdes is beside herself, not paving in front of her house.

Oh yeah, I got to see the school on one of my strolls around the neighborhood. LOL! I can just imagine Lourdes fussing about it!:)

Aug 6, 2006
Hah..
Remember what they did for the Pope's visit in SDQ back in the nineties?
When the VIP's come avisiting......the sky is the limit.
It looks like the long, hot summer will be a little less hot and dusty this year.

On the subject of celebrity visits, I found this Uruguayan film seriously amusing:

El ba?o del Papa (2007) - IMDb

It was also informative. I was unaware that bicycle riding smugglers were a feature of the Uruguayan-Brazilian border.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Several years ago, they repaved the road in front of my house.
I had them patch my driveway at the same time, "Thanks Leonel"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I gave the guys doing the work a few hundred pesos.
Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo, if you need any paving done,"Now's The Time"!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Several years ago, they repaved the road in front of my house.
I had them patch my driveway at the same time, "Thanks Leonel"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I gave the guys doing the work a few hundred pesos.
Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo, if you need any paving done,"Now's The Time"!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Great minds think alike CCCCCCCCCC....... The maid already talked to the foreman, who is supposed to come and talk to Mr. AE, about paving our driveway from the road to the house - it's probably 100-125' though. Now I'll find out how Dominican my Dominican is, let's see the bargaining begin.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
"Follow the yellow brick road"............................

Congrats AE!!!!!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Rio San Juan got all new surfaces before, during and after el Jeffe's various visits to Playa Grande.

Politics is a wonderful thing.!!

Seriously, there are new schools going up everywhere.... let's hope it works.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i'm gonna join the OMG train and say: F**K! i am connected to 24 hour power now!
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
IF it works don't knock it! At least the corruption here is known and available for all to participate unlike in Obamaland!