Edenorte

shak4u

Jun 28, 2010
The DR is known to have one of the worst electric outings in the world, but what is going on with Edenorte now? Every week the electric is out about 17-20 hours. We live in Torre Alta, one of the nicest areas in Puerto Plata and you would think that they could at least have a little better electric service here. Last night it went out at 2am and didn't come back on until 8:30am. As I was typing this at 2pm it just went out again for about 10 minutes. This electric company (Edenorte) is the pits.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
17/20 hours a week ure luz is out....... mine is out 17 hours a day....... and it is 3xpensive....... starting to understand robbing luz......

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Here in Munoz we are out of power almost every day for half the day, sometimes the whole f***ing day....
What the hell are they doing ??? Betting what area will get power today ??

shak4u

Jun 28, 2010
Yes, read the world news on Countries that provide electric. The DR is listed as one of the worst.

shak4u

Jun 28, 2010
I think you're on to something, betting that is. About 12-20 Edenorte Management team meet on our block every week in a huge house that is rented for them. The electric is never out when they are there and sometimes meet all day with lunch provided for them, of course. We have also seen them have parties there. I guess our ridiculous electric rates help pay for this.

shak4u

Jun 28, 2010
Never bought one, as we had Puerto Plata Electric the 1st 2+ years, then Edenorte came one morning and cut all the wires to their electric and installed their own. They literally swore to us that they had 24/7 electric as we never lost power with PP electric more than 1 hour a week.

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
Edenorte came by the house in Cerro Mar 2 days ago and informed us they were taking over Puerto Plata power starting the end of April. After filling out a form he told me I had to go to the Edenorte office in POP and sign a contract. He said the power will be better and cheaper. I told him I had heard bad stories about Edenorte power. He said not ture. LOL I asked him were the office was, he said he didn't know. Go figure. We will miss POP power.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Get yourself and inverter system. Where I am currently at, my power is out 8 hours a day. I only have four batteries, with no AC and pool, I never loose power.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Mmmmmm I use 8 batteries........
But u can forget about powering the pool, the water pumps, the iron, the microwave......

And when u do eventually get luz, like 6/8 hours a day, u better have a "stabilizer " too...... or u will be changing ure appliances sooner rather than later......

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i see you guys are not following the news?

first came this: Superintendencia faculta a EDENORTE contratar clientes de Playa Dorada y zonas aleda?as
superintendencia de electricidad (SIE) authorized edenorte to take on clients in playa dorada and neighbouring zones.

later came this: EDENORTE inicia en PP operativos de contrataci?n de clientes, se le pone fin al servicio exclusivo de la PPE
edenorte announced they will do as SIE permitted.

then came this: Puerto Plata de Electricidad dice NO DEJARSE CONFUNDIR POR LOS AVISOS DE EDENORTE | Musavision.com Pasi?n por la Televisi?n
puerto plata electricidad spit on that story, basically.

so right now the situation in those parts of POP is not clear and likely more confusion will follow.

regarding power issues. right now we have 24/7 power (allegedly; so far so good). before that we had maybe 10 hours of blackouts daily (usually not in one go). 3.5 kw inversor with 8 batteries dealt with all issues including one blackout 36 hour long. of course some things are not connected but on daily basis the lack of power was never an issue.

Mu?ecote

Aug 1, 2006
POP has been really bad. nothing like drinking a warm or skunked beer on the malecon. all this talk about tourism is comical. i just got home and those poor bastards at the casitas were sitting in pitch black with candles. wow

i have no direct knowledge but the 1am power outage last night for 8 hours was probably to make up for keeping it on all day today for the parade.

who knows

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Wow!!! I would be paying 14 000 pesos a month in bavaro.........arghhhhh salami and platano 4 times a week!!!!!!
4.44 pesos a kwh for the first 200
6.97 for the next 100
10.86 after...... but I try to stay out of that zone........

What do u guys consume in kwh a month????
I try and stay under 400, with difficulty......