Hilton Malecon Bar 2 for 1... rip off alert..

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
Decided to take my novia to the beautiful Hilton Malecon Santo Domingo 5th floor bar for the 2 for 1 special. I live right down the street. A glass of house wine normally goes for 250.. an upgrade from the normal 130 peso Presidentes at the local colmado. The bill comes and it turns out the house glass of wine during the 2 for 1 time is 500, not the normal 250. Huh.? ..not a class act for a normal quality hotel operation. Maybe explains why the beautiful bar was empty. Too buzzed to argue with the waiter or talk to the manager. Gave the waiter a dirty look but sorry dude..no tip this time... rip off.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Decided to take my novia to the beautiful Hilton Malecon Santo Domingo 5th floor bar for the 2 for 1 special. I live right down the street. A glass of house wine normally goes for 250.. an upgrade from the normal 130 peso Presidentes at the local colmado. The bill comes and it turns out the house glass of wine during the 2 for 1 time is 500, not the normal 250. Huh.? ..not a class act for a normal quality hotel operation. Maybe explains why the beautiful bar was empty. Too buzzed to argue with the waiter or talk to the manager. Gave the waiter a dirty look but sorry dude..no tip this time... rip off.

Shocking behavior!!

Downright APPALLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
maybe this is how 2 for 1 is understood in DR? twice the price for the same old crap?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You misunderstood.

It means "Buy 1 for the Price of 2 and Get 1 Free."

donP

Dec 14, 2008
2 x 250 = 500

... A glass of house wine normally goes for 250... The bill comes and it turns out the house glass of wine during the 2 for 1 time is 500, not the normal 250. Huh.?

Just a slight misunderstanding, their "2 for 1" means you pay twice for one glass... :laugh:

donP

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Hilton happy hour & general rules

I can understand how frustrated you felt, but:

- is it fair to glare at and stiff the waiter for the management's policies?
- commercial transactions in the Dominican Republic are often problematic if the terms are not fully known up front

On another note, it's too bad the Malecon Center has become such a dump since it opened nearly 10 years ago. I feel sorry for people who bought condos there.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
I can understand how frustrated you felt, but:

- is it fair to glare at and stiff the waiter for the management's policies?
- commercial transactions in the Dominican Republic are often problematic if the terms are not fully known up front

On another note, it's too bad the Malecon Center has become such a dump since it opened nearly 10 years ago. I feel sorry for people who bought condos there.

In my semi buzzed state I do recall a 15 second debate I had with the waiter on pricing policy. I was outmatched as he was quickly and adeptly able to calm my fears of a rip off... yes the basic glass of house vino is always 500 per glass he assured me. Possibly an accomplice on an elaborate Hilton Malecon bar 2 para 1 rip off?

Aug 6, 2006
It is not unfair not to tip the waiter.

Exorbitant prices are as obvious to the waiter as to you. There is only so much money, if they grab it all, they can expect no extra.

In Miami, some restaurants add 21.6% to the bill as a tip. I always make it a point to pay one cent LESS if I have the proper change, just so they know.

toriemannetje

Aug 30, 2013

homie, how bout just open your mouth and let them know what you thought you were getting yourself into and that you ain't having it no other way!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
It is not unfair not to tip the waiter.
What?

In a poor country where jobs are scarce and many take any job they can, you think punishing a low-level employee who had NOTHING to do with establishment policy is making some kind of morally outraged statement?

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
What?

In a poor country where jobs are scarce and many take any job they can, you think punishing a low-level employee who had NOTHING to do with establishment policy is making some kind of morally outraged statement?

Heheheeheh......
Now, now, now....... its consistency between threads...... bow/heel.......

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
What?

To be fair; he is part of the service cape and from The story did defend the price by stating that was always the price.

But speaking to the manager would have been better.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
What?

The 10% on the bill was the tip he has paid. Should he have thrown an extra tip to a scammy waiter who if wasn't in on the scam splitting the proceeds with the bartender, at least guilty of not properly disclosing the terms upfront? I know I wouldn't.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Look on the bright side.

For RD$250 you have learnt a valuable DR lesson on asking upfront about pricing and they have received a bunch of negative feedback that will be archived for all eternity on the internet.

Priceless...

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
Google Hilton Malecon... ck page 2 of the search....sweet. Ok Hilton Malecon S.D....i emailed you at your contact us page on your web site.. it's your move.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I feel you..I went there with family while they were staying there. To this day I can not figure the bill out. 4 glasses of wine,2 beers and 2 sodas came to almost $4000 pesos. Family paid the bill and I left the tip. Don't even let me go there about the food bill. This last visit my family had at the Hilton was a bit "shady". Some things happened that I did not care for. I did talk to the GM about them but he did not seem concerned. A shame too because they have been staying there since the Hilton opened and stay about 3x a year. Once the hotel opens at the Blue Mall that is where they will start to stay. As far as the bill at the bar goes...well I should have known better. It is so much better/cheaper to eat and drink outside the hotel.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Just more "Dominican Logic"!
"The Customer ALWAYS Comes Last"!
Years ago at "Vesuvio's" on the Malecon, a friend of mine from "NYC" asked if he could get a "Half Order" of "Pasta"???
"No Problems", he was told.
Check arrives, Full Price for his "Half Order" of "Pasta"!!!
"WTF"?????
They wouldn't budge.
You only wanted "Half", we gave you what you wanted.
He said, "Then give me my other HALF"!!!!!!
"Too Late", they said!
About 15 of we frequent customers never went back!
THAT's why a place that once was full, now is empty, even on weekends!
Gave us the chance to find, "Capuchino's" on "Maximo Gomez" across from the "Teatro National".
"FANTASTIC Italian Food!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC