casta?o what is it

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
i purchased a plant pod that was labeled casta?o. it is about the size of a softball and green. i would like to know how to prepatr it to be eaten. I googled - no luck.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Best is cooked on a wood stove.....
A bit like "marrons" back home. Chestnuts I think....

When we roast a chicken over an outside fire, we use them as stuffing......

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Best is cooked on a wood stove.....
A bit like "marrons" back home. Chestnuts I think....
When we roast a chicken over an outside fire, we use them as stuffing......

you did not dead the description. what you are talking about is chestnuts. they are called here casta?as or buen pan de grano. very confusing if you ask me.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
thanks. I did not add "dominicano" so no results.
I'll be cooking it tonight.

ok, i see. don't take it as a mean remark, it's just to help you next time: when you are googling something specific to DR is it worth adding dominicano/dominicana. it will help you with spanish vocabulary too as different words may have different meaning depending on the country.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
casta?o

I think you made this more complicated than it needed to be because "casta?o" is a word that has the same standard meaning in all Spanish speaking countries. When I say standard meaning, I am excluding slang usage. Except for that, it always means "chestnut" in the sense of the fruit of the tree and/or the color, as in hair color for people and horses.

On the other hand, I agree with you about how Spanish words vary more from country to country than words in other romance languages.

ok, i see. don't take it as a mean remark, it's just to help you next time: when you are googling something specific to DR is it worth adding dominicano/dominicana. it will help you with spanish vocabulary too as different words may have different meaning depending on the country.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I think you made this more complicated than it needed to be because "casta?o" is a word that has the same standard meaning in all Spanish speaking countries.

this is exactly why a simple search yields no results. if you want specific results you need to refine the search.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
update: the bread fruit was good. I skinned, cored and boiled it.

Had that with tempura lambi and tempura smelt.

made rice as backup. didn't need it - tomorrow's lunch.

lambi was "filet' sliced thinly, fried then into tempura and fried again. almost tender.

thanks for the help, Tom

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
Chestnuts Roasting on an open fire, Jack Frost nipping at your nose.....famous Christmas Carole...

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
you did not dead the description. what you are talking about is chestnuts. they are called here casta?as or buen pan de grano. very confusing if you ask me.

I did read the description. But I am confused. What I was taliking about is a green thorny ( or spotty cos not sharp) sphere. U break into it ( or even better wait to the shell flakes up from decomposation...).
Inside is a hairy/slimy white substance, and u pry out the actual "nut".
Here they call them buen pani or something like that......

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Buen Pan

There are 2 types of bread fruit trees (artocarpus communis), their 'fruits' can weigh up to 5 kgs.
The plant is said to have been brought with Captain Bligh's ship 'Bounty' in 1792.

Both are beautiful, fast growing trees with large leaves.

The kind which is fairly smooth on the outside is cut up and cooked like other 'v?veres'.

The 'pan de grano' kind has soft spines and is actually harvested when fallen. Only the seeds (about an inch or slightly bigger) are eaten; cooked or toasted. They are similar to chestnuts.

We have both types on the finca and like to eat them.

donP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I did read the description. But I am confused. What I was taliking about is a green thorny ( or spotty cos not sharp) sphere. U break into it ( or even better wait to the shell flakes up from decomposation...).

yes, i kinda forget how a full chestnut looks like since i normally only see the brown seed/nut. and normal chestnuts would not be sold in their green shell. when i read OP's description i immediately thought buen pan and the castano name thew me off, i have never heard that name in reference to breadfruit before... i learnt something new today, thanks!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
He must mean "Yuca".
"Chest Nuts",...."dv", and no "Comments????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I, LIKE "Chest Nuts"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
he means yuca and i love it. like hipolito said: si la yuca es grande la tierra se abre!
YUMMY!

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Plantanos, you be referring to? If so, methinks maybe someone is lacking basic cooking skills. Hint...cut the string out first

My bad. Yucca/cassava was what I was referring to. Can't seem to get my roots straight