Dominican passport

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Hi everyone,
I know that this question has been discussed already but just let me get back to it as legal things change often in DR.
How many years of temporary residency does a foreigner need to be intiteled to apply for dominican passport?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You need to be a citizen of the DR to get a Passport. Not really difficult after you get permanent residency.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Hi Sky, one must first get the passport to become a dominican citizen... :)
My question is could I eventually apply for the dominican passport with temporary residency?
And if yes, how many years of temporary residency?
:)

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Hi Sky, one must first get the passport to become a dominican citizen... :)
My question is could I eventually apply for the dominican passport with temporary residency?
And if yes, how many years of temporary residency?
:)

I have a Dominican Passport and you can only get one AFTER you get Permanent Residency. You have to obtain citizenship first. If you have permanent residency and want citizenship PM me and I will put you in touch with someone that can do this for you.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
I have a Dominican Passport and you can only get one AFTER you get Permanent Residency. You have to obtain citizenship first. If you have permanent residency and want citizenship PM me and I will put you in touch with someone that can do this for you.

So then, working backwards, if one has a DR passport, one has citizenship??????

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You cannot have a Dominican Passport unless you are a Dominican Citizen. No different than any other Country in the world.

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
Hi everyone,
I know that this question has been discussed already but just let me get back to it as legal things change often in DR.
How many years of temporary residency does a foreigner need to be intiteled to apply for dominican passport?

There is a straightforward answer to your question:

You can apply for citizenship two years after obtaining permanent residency. The citizenship process then takes about one year to complete (from submitting your file to being sworn in). Then it takes another three months to get your citizenship cedula. And only then can you apply for a passport, which however takes less than a week to receive.

So, once you've obtained a permanent residency permit, you could get the passport in three years if you're diligent about it and do things properly. Don't forget about the Spanish-language verbal citizenship exam you'll have to pass.

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
straightforward answer, thats what was needed
tanxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Since the new law from June 1, 2012, obtaining and renewing permanent residency has become more difficult. Aside from the medical tests, you'll have to submit more documents including a bank statement proving you have over 100,000 pesos in it. You'd be best off getting a reputable lawyer to take care of the paperwork.

Also, your first permanent residency permit will be for 2 years, and since it will expire on the day before you can apply for citizenship you'll have to go through the hoops and jumps again by renewing (new medical test and everything).