Bummer: Colegio Calasanz PB becoming Public School :(

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Yesterday we learned that it seems that Colegio Calasanz will switch from being a Private to a Public School. From August on classes would be full day. Up to 6th grade will be public. Talking about the Barrio comes to you sooner or later...

From 7th grad on it stays private.

My son will be in 6th grade from August on. What should we do? Taking him out for a year and putting him somewhere else until he is 7th grade? I am afraid quality of education might go down at Calasanz. Teachers might leave because of lower payments etc.

Colegio Calasanz is convenient for us since it is 5 minutes by feet from our house. My boy is not in traffic everyday like that.

Close by is no other good school and the one close to Iberostar or the one in PC Village is a little to far away. I would move to PCV and put my son there in school but my wife don't want to move there... :(

In case quality goes down in Calasanz there would even be no time to put him on some other courses in the afternoon because classes will be full day now.

What a mess!

Rant over.

Any ideas are welcome...

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
What about keeping him in the school and supplementing his schooling at home? That's even if it should come to that. Maybe wait till the year starts and then evaluate the quality of the schooling?

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Mike, leave your son in the school, give it a try and see how it goes, it may not be as bad as you think.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"...supplementing his schooling at home?"

Thanks, but the question his how much energy he will have left for that after full day school? Won't work I am afraid. He needs time to relax and to play too ;).

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Mike, leave your son in the school, give it a try and see how it goes, it may not be as bad as you think.

I hope so. Other parents we know are looking what to do too. Many think about sending their kids somewhere else. But maybe you are right and it won't be too bad...

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Hang in there, you might be pleasantly surprised and the school may even get better. Most likely teachers will continue at the school, pay for public school teachers is increasing. And the Tanda Extendida program of the government promises to get better. I would speculate the priests at Calasanz feel there is more to gain with the program.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Hang in there, you might be pleasantly surprised and the school may even get better. Most likely teachers will continue at the school, pay for public school teachers is increasing. And the Tanda Extendida program of the government promises to get better. I would speculate the priests at Calasanz feel there is more to gain with the program.

I suspect the government gave them a bunch of money.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My sons Private Catholic school here in SD, became a government sponsored school 2 years ago,you still have to buy all your own books and uniforms,but tuition is only 500 pesos a month now, and nothing changed.
It STILL SUCKS!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Don't panic. A full day in aDominican public school is a new thing
No one knows how it will work out. It's only one year. If the kid is a good student you should be amble to supplement his reading and math. Tutor perhaps. Other option is to get together with the other parents and home school him. Lots of home school info on the Web. If you have enough parents you could hire a teacher's run the home school program. Good luck.