El Sendero del Cacao

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Has anyone recently gone on one of these tours? how is the road to get there- I am travelling from SD?

Im taking the visiting parents there, about 70 years old-Any specific tour that is recommended, dos and donts?

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
Expect it to be in a diesel fueled truck like you see labeled Outback Safari or Monkey Jungle....you will be sitting on benches that are along the sides of the truck bed. If the road is rough, it will be rocky and no seat belts. Sitting right behind the cab of the truck seemed like a good idea to me since you had something to hold onto however NOT, the fumes from the diesel fuel were bad and within an hour I had the worst headache you can imagine. The people who sat in the middle on the bench area had a bouncier ride but no fumes! The actual tour was great, there will be walking on non flattened ground but if your parents are in good shape with no issues they should enjoy it....take lots of water, they supply some but mostly drinks for fun. We had a lunch stop included and it was a very nice traditional Dominican lunch. Have fun

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
So its a rough road getting there or its a rough terrain during the tour? Mom gets around fine but has a not so great back so riding on a bumpy road in a safari truck will mean a last minute cancellation Im afraid.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Expect it to be in a diesel fueled truck like you see labeled Outback Safari or Monkey Jungle....you will be sitting on benches that are along the sides of the truck bed. If the road is rough, it will be rocky and no seat belts. Sitting right behind the cab of the truck seemed like a good idea to me since you had something to hold onto however NOT, the fumes from the diesel fuel were bad and within an hour I had the worst headache you can imagine. The people who sat in the middle on the bench area had a bouncier ride but no fumes! The actual tour was great, there will be walking on non flattened ground but if your parents are in good shape with no issues they should enjoy it....take lots of water, they supply some but mostly drinks for fun. We had a lunch stop included and it was a very nice traditional Dominican lunch. Have fun

This is not true. I frequent the Sendero de Cacao outside of San Francisco de Macoris en a campo called las Pajas. It is run by the Rizek family, is really nice and your parents will have no trouble. The road is good, except for a short (150 m) right before you get to the front gate. It is still decent. There are no trucks that take people anywhere that I know of. You show up there and everything is centered around an open air structure and a enclosed building where small model equipment show the chocolate making process. Miguel, Norberto or Inez mostly do the tours and the trees, grafting, fermentation and drying are all a very short walk. Maribel and Moreno will show the traditional, campo way of making it. I go out there because they have wifi and it is one of the few places in the DR I can buy good eating chocolate. The kilo bar is a real good deal.

There are a few Rutas de Cacao in the Southeast that cater to the Punta Cana and Bavaro crowd. A few Peace Corps volunteers were involved years ago as these things were started. I visited one of them outside of Hato Mayor last year and the road is slow going so maybe you have the two confused.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
This is not true. I frequent the Sendero de Cacao outside of San Francisco de Macoris en a campo called las Pajas. It is run by the Rizek family, is really nice and your parents will have no trouble. The road is good, except for a short (150 m) right before you get to the front gate. It is still decent. There are no trucks that take people anywhere that I know of. You show up there and everything is centered around an open air structure and a enclosed building where small model equipment show the chocolate making process. Miguel, Norberto or Inez mostly do the tours and the trees, grafting, fermentation and drying are all a very short walk. Maribel and Moreno will show the traditional, campo way of making it. I go out there because they have wifi and it is one of the few places in the DR I can buy good eating chocolate. The kilo bar is a real good deal.

There are a few Rutas de Cacao in the Southeast that cater to the Punta Cana and Bavaro crowd. A few Peace Corps volunteers were involved years ago as these things were started. I visited one of them outside of Hato Mayor last year and the road is slow going so maybe you have the two confused.
Thanks I appreciate the more realistic explanation!

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
trip cocoa

Thanks I appreciate the more realistic explanation!

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Glad I listened to Tom's post. We did the tour today and was an easy drive to get there and a foot tour on flat ground once we arrived, nothing at all like the explanation above.
The tour was excellent, lunch was good, guide very friendly and informative and chocolate was top of the line. Highly recommend!

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Sendero tour

Glad I listened to Tom's post. We did the tour today and was an easy drive to get there and a foot tour on flat ground once we arrived, nothing at all like the explanation above.
The tour was excellent, lunch was good, guide very friendly and informative and chocolate was top of the line. Highly recommend!

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Did you say to anyone for me and glad you liked it. Most of my time in the DR centers around chocolate and cacao. Going in late April to mid May.