Few Questions about Immigration

cheerio

Jan 23, 2014
I have an appointment in Santo Domingo on Monday for the first steps of the immigration (or residency?) process. I am confused as to what terms to use. I am only in this country temporarily but still have to go through this for my company.
My question is simple...I was told the first step is a medical. Chest x-ray, blood test and urine sample. I have no illegal drugs in my system, but I do have prescription meds in my system (with a valid prescription, though I have no copy to prove this). Are they going to deny my residency over this? Someone told me it was a real possibility.
I also have a criminal record in my home country. Nothing violent and the police actually gave me a clean background check that is notarized.
Any thoughts or input?

I have an appointment in Santo Domingo on Monday for the first steps of the immigration (or residency?) process. I am confused as to what terms to use. I am only in this country temporarily but still have to go through this for my company.
My question is simple...I was told the first step is a medical. Chest x-ray, blood test and urine sample. I have no illegal drugs in my system, but I do have prescription meds in my system (with a valid prescription, though I have no copy to prove this). Are they going to deny my residency over this? Someone told me it was a real possibility.
I also have a criminal record in my home country. Nothing violent and the police actually gave me a clean background check that is notarized.
Any thoughts or input?

Is it prescription pot? If not I would see no problem with the meds.

If you have a clean background check then I would assume that would be ok too?!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Any thoughts or input?

I'm sure you'll be ok. I take about 5 prescriptions, although none of them are narcotic and I was good to go.

cheerio

Jan 23, 2014
Is it prescription pot? If not I would see no problem with the meds.

If you have a clean background check then I would assume that would be ok too?!

haha

it is not prescription pot. It made me chuckle, though.

I have just read some horror stories on the webs about people getting denied over really dumb stuff and I have no idea what to expect so I am just looking for as much information as possible.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
codeine is in OTC drugs here. you will be asked what medicine you take, this is your chance to report it. i was all zombiefied with dramamine on my visit to immigration (car sickness) so i said that. you do not need to explain what is the medicine for, just say that you took tylenol CD or oxa forte (both have codeine and both are OTC here) for back pain and you will be fine.

cheerio

Jan 23, 2014
codeine is in OTC drugs here. you will be asked what medicine you take, this is your chance to report it. i was all zombiefied with dramamine on my visit to immigration (car sickness) so i said that. you do not need to explain what is the medicine for, just say that you took tylenol CD or oxa forte (both have codeine and both are OTC here) for back pain and you will be fine.

Thank you! I love this forum. You guys are always so helpful. I am apparently freaking out over nothing :)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
whenever in doubt -- turn the devilish, devious deviate - dv8.... queen of ____________

Feel free to fill in the blank

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
oh my, you guys are too kind.

i should probably mention that it's been a long time since i did my residency and there was a medical formulario back then. i hope this is still valid. it is worth telling at medical anyway.

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
It is always a good idea to avoid poppy seed bagels or salad dressing before any drug test.

I was very careless and ate several pieces of poppy seed cake about two days before my most recent medical check-up in Santo Domingo for permanent residency. Only after finishing the cake did I realize what I had done. It got me quite concerned and I even watched the Myth Busters episode on poppy seeds causing people to fail drug tests. Anyway, the cake must not have been enough to put me over the threshold as I fortunately passed the test with no complications.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I was very careless and ate several pieces of poppy seed cake about two days before my most recent medical check-up in Santo Domingo for permanent residency. Only after finishing the cake did I realize what I had done. It got me quite concerned and I even watched the Myth Busters episode on poppy seeds causing people to fail drug tests. Anyway, the cake must not have been enough to put me over the threshold as I fortunately passed the test with no complications.

In NY, they have a cut-off levels to avoid false positives.

Drug Testing Cutoff Levels - Workplace Drug Testing

Confirmatory Drug Cutoff Levels