Acropolis Center...doing..?

GioMed

Oct 6, 2011
I have been interested in a mall location(food court) for some time
received an email from Acropolis with what seems to be a fair rental
price...but I'm not in DR, anyone been to Acropolis lately?.. I was told
that it was dead.(person that is not in DR either - lol)

Can anyone corroborate or contradict that, and report if it is in fact on
the upswing? -Hehehe I know some "DR1'ers" like to see the chicas in
these malls, so maybe 1 or 2 can tell me about their recent visit to Acro...

Thanks

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Dead Gold Mine?

...but I'm not in DR, anyone been to Acropolis lately?.. I was told

Ask PICHARDO, he is not in the DR either, but all malls in the DR are - according to him - GOLD MINES. :laugh:

donP

notreallyconfused

Feb 18, 2013
I have been interested in a mall location(food court) for some time
received an email from Acropolis with what seems to be a fair rental
price...but I'm not in DR, anyone been to Acropolis lately?.. I was told

Can anyone corroborate or contradict that, and report if it is in fact on
the upswing? -Hehehe I know some "DR1'ers" like to see the chicas in
these malls, so maybe 1 or 2 can tell me about their recent visit to Acro...

Thanks

Not a good spot...I was in there the other day I asked someone there where the claro store was, and they said the closed that location there. The mall was dead. If you want to be in that neighborhood, I would only consider agora mall. I was there yesterday....best day obviously and it was packed (sunday) The lines in the food court were long and I sat with people I didnt know. Sambil would be another place I would look. If you want the other side of town, Mega centro would be my pick. They have a university inside. Many students sit in the food court and study.....good luck...

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Acropolis has it's public, but obviously lost a lot of visitors to BlueMall (initially) and later Agora. It's not a high traffic mall and the food court is very unattractive, a dark boring area on the top floor. Your customers at the food court would mainly come from the employees of the companies in the office tower of Acropolis.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If you plan to be an "Absentee Owner",..........DON'T BE!!!!!!!!!
If you plan to finance a "Dominicano/a" in this venture, DON'T!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Better to just mail in your money to avoid wasting time and effort over here.

ozmorena

May 26, 2009
I haven't been to Acropolis for a month. But the last time I was there, they were working on the food court area. A cleaner told us they were putting a Hard Rock Cafe there, that would cover two floors and that the food court was moving. Maybe then it would be worthwhile to check it out.

I like Agora mall is my favourite at the moment, but they could do with more parking IMHO. Sambil would be great to invest in. I think Blue Mall is more popular and took a lot of the Acropolis crowd.

I sound like a shop-a-holic but I am not. It's just my in-laws, as do it seems many Dominicans like to go to the food courts to eat on the weekend.

I remember when Acropolis first opened, it was all the rage. I think it is in good position being opposite to La Sirena and the area in general. I wouldn't discount it, I think your best bet is to check it out personally though. Any chance you would post the rental prices here, it would be interesting to know?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Anything new here is the rage. I remember lines around the block to get into Pizza Hut at Uni Centro. when they first came in. Lines around Burger King their first one.Taco Bell, Quiznos same thing. The malls are no different. Need to wait a couple of months until the new wears off. Once that happens you wonder how they stay in business

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I did notice Friday's is extending their restaurant in Acropolis, but the few times I have been to Acropolis lately is to go to Outback. Nothing else to find there.

BlueMall I think might be worse. Ofcourse their food court is better than the one of Acropolis but their target customers are the high class (Louis Vuitton, Cartier) and people who shop for these items also travel regularly and would probably buy abroad.

Revelation of the year is galeria360 for me. Quietly opened besides agora and Sambil, but have a nice set of stores, Departamentos Americana is picking up, I'm seeing a lot of new products in the ferreteria as well, ikea across the street and lots of parking without having to enter the parking garage.

If I would start a store I'd investigate galeria360

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I did notice Friday's is extending their restaurant in Acropolis, but the few times I have been to Acropolis lately is to go to Outback. Nothing else to find there.

BlueMall I think might be worse. Ofcourse their food court is better than the one of Acropolis but their target customers are the high class (Louis Vuitton, Cartier) and people who shop for these items also travel regularly and would probably buy abroad.

Revelation of the year is galeria360 for me. Quietly opened besides agora and Sambil, but have a nice set of stores, Departamentos Americana is picking up, I'm seeing a lot of new products in the ferreteria as well, ikea across the street and lots of parking without having to enter the parking garage.
If I would start a store I'd investigate galeria360

The parking garage is good. I love to avoid the sun. It took me awhile to realize it extends around in an L and exits out the back to Ave Euclides Morilllo. Fuddruckers is a huge plus.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I agree it's a good garage but I like the possibility to park outside for just a small shopping.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I agree it's a good garage but I like the possibility to park outside for just a small shopping.

I do too. If I can find a space in front of Office Depot for a quick in and out that's good.

When I feel like a Fuddrucker's burger I like getting a space near the escalator and being right there. It's overpriced at 320 pesos for the basic burger but I shave their profit margin by loading up on the veggies.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Absentee owner? No plan to be there everyday.

Unless you are there everyday to micromanage or live over the store. The employees, suppliers, and clients will rip you off. You will get a better investment return if you dig a hole in your yard and throw money into it, plants will grow from the cash compost.

Regards,

PJT

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Unless you are there everyday to micromanage or live over the store. The employees, suppliers, and clients will rip you off. You will get a better investment return if you dig a hole in your yard and throw money into it, plants will grow from the cash compost.

Regards,

PJT

Right on the money, so to speak.

Just a couple of days ago we were talking to the Swiss guy who has the largest colmado here. He said they rob him blind and he's right there.

He has an interesting set-up: 2 or 3 guys working the counter, filling your order. Then in the middle of the colmado is the cash register and the owner or manager is sitting there. Guy calls out the items you're purchasing, manager/owner gives the total, you pass the money through the guy to the owner, and change comes back.

So no workers have their hand in the 'till' at all.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
The colmado I call regularly is owned by a Dominican who speaks English. He owns five colmados. He brings in people to do an inventory several times a year.

Some time after the inventory heads roll.

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013
Right on the money, so to speak.

Just a couple of days ago we were talking to the Swiss guy who has the largest colmado here. He said they rob him blind and he's right there.

He has an interesting set-up: 2 or 3 guys working the counter, filling your order. Then in the middle of the colmado is the cash register and the owner or manager is sitting there. Guy calls out the items you're purchasing, manager/owner gives the total, you pass the money through the guy to the owner, and change comes back.

So no workers have their hand in the 'till' at all.

FYI - There is an upscale Intercontinental Hotel being constructed next to the Acropolos which could revive it in the near future. If you have a food court concept you will probably want to be in all of the malls so I would not be so quick to write it off. In response to all the pessimists who commented......Yes, one must put in place processes that can be inspected to minimize employee theft, for in a country that pays fast food workers no more that $250 per month for a 44 hour work week, what do you expect? If you have any additional questions feel free to send me a private message (if you know how on this site - I don't) as I am in the restaurant business here already and would be willing to talk. Experience is a clumsy teacher but effective.
Good luck to you.