Moving to the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kabbey80

I am moving to the DR (Punta Cana) within the next couple months. I current live in Canada and work as an administrative assistant, ap & ar clerck, bookkeeper, accountant and receptionist.
Does anyone know of any job openings in Punta Cana or where would be the best place to send my resume too?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

K

kabbey80

I would also like to ad that I am a licensed hair stylist. I would like to find a job in administration or time share sales but am open to anything at the moment.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Do you have money set aside to live on in case it takes you times to find work ?

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Kabbey,

First, welcome to DR1!

It is exceptionally difficult for someone to find a job that pays a "living wage" (by NA standards) in the DR. My advice would be to save your money to give you a substantial cushion (meaning at least two years' living expenses, which you'll realistically go through in less than half that).

You can also develop a skill set that might allow you to work in something more lucrative, like IT or teaching. Also, learning Spanish would be paramount.

I notice you're focused on Punta Cana. If you're moving because you met one of the locals while on holiday, SERIOUSLY RECONSIDER YOUR PLANS. That very seldom ends well (see the innumerable threads on the "Men are from Mars" forum).

Take your time, and be careful. Either way, good luck. :glasses:

DRob

K

kabbey80

No, I am not fluent in Spanish but I am learning it at the moment. I do have money put aside to live there, I don't have to work but I want to incorporate myself into society as much as possible. I know that the wages there don't even pay close to what I make in Canada and am fully prepared to "live like the Dominican's do".
I am moving to be with someone in Punta Cana but he is not someone that I met on holidays. We originally met in the USA when I was living and have been together for a long time. We talked about living in Canada as I don't like living in the US but I want to move to the DR. He is born in the DR but grew up in the USA and recently moved back to get things set up for our daughter and myself.
I have read all the threads on the local men, and I personally laugh as to how woman can be so gullible but I assure you all, our situation is wayyyy different.

You may think you are ready to live like Dominicans do but I bet you will be in for a HUGE surprise. It is not all sunshine and rainbows here, especially if you are not well off!!

Make sure you have double what you think you will need to live here, it is NOT a cheap place to live and I come from one of the most expensive places to live in NA! (fellow Canadian).

Good luck!

K

kabbey80

I have already been there for an extended period of time and I realize that living there is not as cheap is as everyone thinks it is. Thank you all for the advice but would like to know if anyone has any advise as to where would be a good place to send my resume.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
A "licenced" hair stylist ? Now those are some impressive credentials that will go a long way here.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Pretty sure this won't end well in terms of finding a job.

Since it is Punta Cana, I suggest talking to all the hotels. But, for local businesses, you need to walk in the door in person.

Maybe you could work in a spa at a hotel as a stylist. But other than that, a license won't mean squat.

Since your man is all ready here, he should be pounding the pavement to try to line something up before you get here. Best of Luck!

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Without local contacts it'll be a challenge. If you have money to live off of like you say, come down, go to the popular local places, get in touch with the expat community and bit by bit doors will open. Just sending in your CV is more likely to get you offers at close to minimum DR salary which wouldn't be enough to cover your monthly grocery bill.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Kabbey,

Unfortunately, the credentials you've listed are among the most common in the country.

Some years ago, a forum member posted a want ad for an administrative assistant. It mentioned she had to be a certain color, and heavy on good looks. This was because her primary skill set was to serve as lunchtime entertainment for the exec. Sadly, this happens a lot. Even those who aren't subjected to such treatment are expected to be fluent in Spanish, and are paid next to nothing.

And you'll find quite quickly that at least half the women on the island do hair and/or nails.

Which is the point we're trying to make: finding employment if you don't have a rare skill set AND at least solid Spanish can be exceptionally difficult. Many people get around that by being teachers in bi-lingual schools, or getting hired by international employers prior to arriving (i.e., management positions at the resorts), or by having IT or consulting skills that aren't linked to a particular geographic location.

That doesn't seem to be the case for you. Question: what does your SO do? If he is a professional (or at least well paid), it might make better sense for you to volunteer somewhere, get to know the community, then find a job.

And understand, living "like a Dominican" on a serious budget usually means no AC, uneven power, three generations in the house, "entertainment" consisting of evenings at the colmado, and rice and platanos aplenty.

Last edited:
I strongly agree with KateP and DRob the best way to get a job is through connections, it is all about who you know here in the DR.
When you get here make as many friends as possible with expats and dominicans and you will hopefully find something okish.

Where in Canada are you from?

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Also, I just remembered there is a Linkedin group from the DR. It is mostly ex-pats working here. There are some good discussion and occasional job postings. So make a good Linkedin profile and join the group. It would be a good way to start your networking. I can connect you if u need hep.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
As much as possible and as soon as possible

Are you getting a work visa? That is step number one when heading to a foreign country with the idea of working.

Not really needed......
Because:

... I want to incorporate myself into society as much as possible.

Thus marrying her DDD asap will make her a citizen, which will fastforward her into this society (well somehow...) and she'll be able to be the breadwinner of the family without any permit needed....

donP

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
We all can see where this thread is headed. There's blood in the water and the predators are circling. Sad but true. Its almost as good as the new york video. Hahahah

drescape24

Status
Not open for further replies.