Future plans of moving to DR.

danation

Mar 12, 2014
Hi All,

I have been lurking for the past month or so and finally decided to introduce myself. I am Daniel and am a student in NYC. I want to move to DR in 10-12 years so i figured i should start planning from now which is how i stumbled into DR1.

Ive learned a lot from these forums already so i thank you all for contributing.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
What motivates you ?

danation, Wow ! This is about planning ahead. Explain what motivates you to plan this ? What is it in the DR that beckons to you to move out of the land of opportunity into the land where there are lines of :bandit:eek:pportunists zeroing in on the target on your back ?

Is this a starry-eyed dream of youth ?

Regards,

PJT

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Come back in 10-12 years. Everything will be different. Are you a troll?

danation

Mar 12, 2014
Not a troll. Both of my parents were born in DR. I went every summer as a kid and still go and visit my family at least once a year. I want to move because i prefer the lifestyle as opposed to the fast paced always in a rush and everyone around you is miserable lifestyle of NYC. I decided to one day move to DR when i was 16 and am now 24 and the plan hasn't changed. My family mostly lives in Bonao and I love it there. My mom has some land and we are finishing a 3 bedroom house we are building from scratch in Bonao. I also recently purchased a 400 meter solar near Santo Domingo where i plan to build a second home in the coming years to have one closer to the capital and maybe rent out. My girlfriend of 4 years lived in Tamayo on the south east until she was 8 years old before coming to NYC. She also loves the idea of moving later on since most of her family lives in DR as well.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I want to move because i prefer the lifestyle as opposed to the fast paced always in a rush and everyone around you is miserable lifestyle of NYC

Happiness is a state of mind. :bunny:

So speak for yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:alien::alien:

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
What are you studying and what kind of employment would you be looking for in the DR if you relocated? The fact that your parents are Dominican and that you have property there is a very good thing, so I would think it is about how you intend to make a living and support a family. Ten years is a long time, particularly when you're young, and a lot will happen between now and then.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Hi All,

I have been lurking for the past month or so and finally decided to introduce myself. I am Daniel and am a student in NYC. I want to move to DR in 10-12 years so i figured i should start planning from now which is how i stumbled into DR1.

Ive learned a lot from these forums already so i thank you all for contributing.

Cheers

He isn't asking for any advice. He is thanking everyone for what he has learnt already from reading DR1.

So altogether now, DE NADA, welcome to DR1 Daniel ;)

danation

Mar 12, 2014
What are you studying and what kind of employment would you be looking for in the DR if you relocated? The fact that your parents are Dominican and that you have property there is a very good thing, so I would think it is about how you intend to make a living and support a family. Ten years is a long time, particularly when you're young, and a lot will happen between now and then.

I will graduate this year with a bachelors in Finance and Investments. I plan to run my cousins gym for now and get my masters in math in a year or 2. Then become a math teacher in nyc when it gets closer to when i want to move. This would give me paid summer and christmas break vacations in the DR. I also trade stocks in my own which i plan to continue when I'm in DR.

In terms of income the plan is to first build/buy 2 more homes in the DR to rent out in nice areas. Then in maybe 5-7 years build a supermarket in the area where my mother is from. Lots of people have to constantly travel i to the city of bonao or pay more at the colmados for food. My wife and mom will handle the business the first few years while i continue working in the states to provide a buffer for unexpected expenses.

If everything goes as planned the supermarket will be doing ok and i would like to teach math at a university in DR since that is my true passion.

I am open to any advice or critiques. Although i am well aware you guys don't need my permission lol

danation

Mar 12, 2014
Happiness is a state of mind. :bunny:

So speak for yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:alien::alien:

This is true. I guess it is easier for me to be in that happy state of mind in DR con una presidente y libra de chicharron.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
This is true. I guess it is easier for me to be in that happy state of mind in DR con una presidente y libra de chicharron.

mmmmm

Ok I will bite!!!! hahahahahaha

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Bonao is in a wait and see situation. Some are seeing the new opportunities. For example, there are lots of forests in the area and a new biomass plant is going up to transform the commercial forests into fuel to replace charcoal made from forests, and supply industry with alternate sources of fuel.

It is yet to be seen what will happen with Falcondo in the area and also with the rice plantations. Falcondo is still fighting to get the environmental permission to exploit Loma Miranda. Bonao countryside was affected by the contamination by Falcondo, but it still is a lovely area. The Ministry of Environment fixed up the Jima falls route and several of these can be easily visited.

Take note that once the DR-CAFTA protection is gone, US rice imports may be cheaper than consuming locally produced rice. There are opportunities for alternate planting on those lands.

Bonao is a cultural hub that few people know of. Great to visit the Candido Bido Museum, the Tiburcio Museum and the Santos de Palo.

It is best known as a stopover, with its two good paradors -- Tipico Bonao and Miguelina.

Bonao needs more smart people to get people to stay longer, and not just one to spend two hours in having lunch on the way somewhere else.

Hope you soon join the thinkers and creators that move and shake Bonao.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I will graduate this year with a bachelors in Finance and Investments. I plan to run my cousins gym for now and get my masters in math in a year or 2. Then become a math teacher in nyc when it gets closer to when i want to move. This would give me paid summer and christmas break vacations in the DR. I also trade stocks in my own which i plan to continue when I'm in DR.

In terms of income the plan is to first build/buy 2 more homes in the DR to rent out in nice areas. Then in maybe 5-7 years build a supermarket in the area where my mother is from. Lots of people have to constantly travel i to the city of bonao or pay more at the colmados for food. My wife and mom will handle the business the first few years while i continue working in the states to provide a buffer for unexpected expenses.

If everything goes as planned the supermarket will be doing ok and i would like to teach math at a university in DR since that is my true passion.

I am open to any advice or critiques. Although i am well aware you guys don't need my permission lol

The Universidad Adventista can surely use your services.

Un Concepto Educativo Diferente!! | Universidad Adventista Dominicana

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Had a great jalapeno bacon cheeseburger with a Coors Light last Saturday in Bonao. Place called Friscos

zlj1

Aug 1, 2013

You seem very headstrong with a clear view of the direction in which you would like to go. It is nothing more refreshing than a young, determined member of Generation Z is it? I sincerely hope everything works out in your favor and maybe you can move here before the US collapses and without accumulating much debt. Definitely pursue the education degree and use it to have your student loans forgiven if you have such.
I have learned on DR1, the punches are thrown with no gloves so toughen up lol