huge star in the sky tonight

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
anyone know what it is ? I think it might possibly be jupiter from googling....it seems about four times the size of any star Ive seen before

May 29, 2006
If it was in the west in the evening near the horizon, it was most likely Venus. It's seen in the east in the morning as well, just not at the same time. If you can ID a constellation nearby, you can prob verify it with some astrology site.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
JR, perhaps it is Mars ???
"Closest approach, Earth to Mars, occurs on April 14th at a distance of 92 million kilometers. Mark your calendar and get ready to see Mars at its best."

Spaceweather.com Time Machine

Read the whole article on Spaceweather.com.

Olly and the Team

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
If you have a smart phone download the google sky map application. Point the phone in the direction to the object it the app tells what your looking at. Its a great app.

drescape24

Ron Anjero

Aug 8, 2013
There is a geostationary satellite in the east that is very bright. Also Jupiter and Mars are very close together in the early night sky in the east. Based on Sky View iphone app.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
And tomorrow night get ready for "Blood moon"

140411163359-01-lunar-eclipse-0414-horizontal-gallery.jpg

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I'm ready! I'm not going to miss it. Will set my alarm clock for 3 am!

Total lunar eclipse will be visible in the eastern US around that time.

I've got my camera ready.:) Also be on the look out for a bright star next to the moon. It will be Mars.;)

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
Hope this helps: the brightest object in the sky is the sun and it is a star, next is the moon (it is not a star) next are Jupiter, Venus and mars (planets). Manmade and bright ISS. Other objects stars, galaxies, comets, more... All fascinating to me and they have been a facination to humans for millions of years.

I am reading the biography of Copernicus - his work was approx. 1550. Then he wrote that the earth and other plants revolved about the sun and the moon about the earth. He escaped religious persecution for that by dying.

Last edited:

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Hope this helps: the brightest object in the sky is the sun and it is a star, next is the moon (it is not a star) next are Jupiter, Venus and mars (planets). Manmade and bright ISS. Other objects stars, galaxies, comets, more... All fascinating to me and they have been a facination to humans for millions of years.

I am reading the biography of Copernicus - his work was approx. 1550. Then he wrote that the earth and other plants revolved about the sun and the moon about the earth. He escaped religious persecution for that by dying.

Yes, the sun is the brightest star in the sky and the moon is not a star.:) After the sun
and the moon the next brightest object in the sky is Venus (planet).

The Brightest Planet

Actually the brightest true star in the sky after the sun is Sirius in the constellation Canis Major.

http://d1jqu7g1y74ds1.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/canis_major.gif

Like you, I love Astronomy.;)

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Ive never noticed another planet in the sky before, i would have expected them to be round ;-) apparently not, this was much bigger than sirius it was in the east to south east I think

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Ive never noticed another planet in the sky before, i would have expected them to be round ;-) apparently not, this was much bigger than sirius it was in the east to south east I think

Planets look like stars (with the naked eye) But when viewed through a telescope it is round shaped.

I 've seen Mars, Venus, Jupiter and Saturn through a telescope . It is awesome!

Did not see the rings of Saturn because at the time, Saturn's position in the sky did not allow
for viewing as the the rings were edgewise. For that a very powerful telescope is required.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/...DvbQxGg9fVPdSOqc882Urj49OYk0_GI-XHbEg-CF4SIjQ

Instead Saturn appeared to have two lumps on either side.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2006
Copernicus refused to publish his writings during his lifetime. They were all published posthumously. It is very likely that he would have been investigated and punished for heresy by the Holy Office.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
Well Copernicus was nearly dead "he lingered until may 24 1543 - when the first printed copy was brought to him" alive to see one copy not yet distributed. Sun Stand Thou Still - Angus Armitage's book 1946.

It took 100 years for the Christians to punish someone: Galileo.

I would like to do some telescope or binocular observing in the DR anyone know of any groups in STI?

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
I'm ready! I'm not going to miss it. Will set my alarm clock for 3 am!

Total lunar eclipse will be visible in the eastern US around that time.

I've got my camera ready.:) Also be on the look out for a bright star next to the moon. It will be Mars.;)

Yeah, the Red Planet next to a Blood Red Moon.