Transferring Money TO Canada

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
What is the best way to transfer money from a Dominican Bank Account back to Canada? Xoom requires an American based account, and Western Union would be a last resort due to locations in Canada. I am thinking Ria would be the cheapest & fastest?

Apologies if there is a recent thread on this, any help is appreciated.

dropshort

May 18, 2008
The problem is that the banks want to rape you twice. Sending and Receiving.

I have started using Canadian Forex.

Canada has the worlds best banking system but the actual banks are staffed by arrogant idiots.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The problem is that the banks want to rape you twice. Sending and Receiving.

I have started using Canadian Forex.

Canada has the worlds best banking system but the actual banks are staffed by arrogant idiots.

Any bank in any country is going to charge you for a wire in or out.
You could always convert all of your assets to Bitcoin!

What exactly is "Canadian Forex", an institution?
Fx has a spread in and a spread out, so you pay twice, no free rides..

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Thanks for the replies. Ria is out. I need to find out what the flat transaction fee would be, and which method is fastest. Probably Western Union but I am hoping for an alternative.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Scotia to Scotia if you can.... or at least try Scotia for the outbound.... they have a book for Canada, I expect

Just get the info from the Cdn bank and go into your RD bank... SWIFT, etc

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Scotia to Scotia if you can.... or at least try Scotia for the outbound.... they have a book for Canada, I expect

Just get the info from the Cdn bank and go into your RD bank... SWIFT, etc

Thanks so much! Scotiabank here told me they might as well be an entirely different bank altogether, and my best bet is to use Western Union and send money to my sister. If I can set up a ScotiaBank account in order to just wire it between my accounts that would be much better.

Tried calling Canadian Forex and no answer, and I'll look into the xe.com option as well. If the transfer takes 2-3 days it's not a problem, but the fastest and cheapest (and safest) option is obviously the best.

Thanks again, I'll post on here once I sort it out. :)

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Western union is probably best bet for small to medium amounts. If it is over 5k, best to do a bank to any bank wire. Not sure what the max WU would send. And you always pay to send and receive a wire. Nice...

Cheers!