Apt C5 at Club Residencial, Sosua

OneEstonian

Apr 20, 2014
We stayed at Club Residencial for a month in Feb/March in apartment C5 owned by Terrisita Grant. After our stay we wrote a review for Tripadvisor (A Dismal Disapointment) which was not favorable because we found the apartment lacking. Terrisita responded with a vicious, defamatory pack of lies about us. None of them are true.

We are by no means poor and travel quite a bit. It is ludicrous to claim we stuffed old sheets and towels into our carry-on luggage, and spent our vacation time banging repeatedly on a door lock to break it! We spent all our days at lovely Sosua Beach, not at the poolside at Club Residencial, although the poolside is quite nice and we had a few dinners at the very nice restaurant there. In our review we only countered those claims in her ad that WE found to be untrue: economy (compared to another apartment in Cabarete where we stayed the month before), comfort (there was none) and luxury (not even a chest of drawers in the bedroom to put clothes in).

In her last email to me Terrisita expressed joy at the fact we are senior citizens and will die soon. She also told us we would be hearing from her lawyer. Nice lady! Our advice is to avoid renting from her.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Many of these "managers" don't take criticism well. Many of these apartments lack the amenities that you would find or expect to find to make your stay easy and complete. I had one of these people tell me, after I asked where the toaster was, that there was not one because it got stolen. Ah, how about replacing it? These so called "managers" just don't get it. No clue how to deal with the public and satisfy the customer. Many of these properties just don't have the proper over site to keep them at peak condition and then they are ****ed when you ask for something that should have obviously been there in the first place or was advertised with the apartment but not available. You are better off going on VROB.com (vacation rental by owner) or homeaway.com and you get what you pay for.

LTSteve

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
It is wanting

OneEstonian, you say the location is lacking.

Your behavior of staying there for the month raises doubts about your story. PJT, if confronted with a lacking apartment would have packed up and relocated to better digs. There are better locations in Sosua.

The other comments you made about the behavior of the owner are unconfirmed implications. Your "A Dismal Disapointment" review on tripadvisor does not appear. Note: tripadvisor in recent months has been editing out dubious reviews.

You need to explain your case more:ermm: ; it is wanting in PJT's opinion.

Regards,

PJT

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
We stayed at Club Residencial for a month in Feb/March in apartment C5 owned by Terrisita Grant. After our stay we wrote a review for Tripadvisor (A Dismal Disapointment) which was not favorable because we found the apartment lacking. Terrisita responded with a vicious, defamatory pack of lies about us. None of them are true.

We are by no means poor and travel quite a bit. It is ludicrous to claim we stuffed old sheets and towels into our carry-on luggage, and spent our vacation time banging repeatedly on a door lock to break it! We spent all our days at lovely Sosua Beach, not at the poolside at Club Residencial, although the poolside is quite nice and we had a few dinners at the very nice restaurant there. In our review we only countered those claims in her ad that WE found to be untrue: economy (compared to another apartment in Cabarete where we stayed the month before), comfort (there was none) and luxury (not even a chest of drawers in the bedroom to put clothes in).

In her last email to me Terrisita expressed joy at the fact we are senior citizens and will die soon. She also told us we would be hearing from her lawyer. Nice lady! Our advice is to avoid renting from her.

Since we have not heard from you on DR1 before today, it is hard to evaluate your complaints. One could get the impression that you joined DR1 solely to slam the owner of the apartment you rented in Club Residencial. Not saying this is true, but it is possible to get the impression.

Either way, it is not likely that your post will last long on DR1. The management is pretty strict about making unsubstantiated attacks on a local business without at least hearing from the other side.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Ken is right, DR1 does not allow one-sided attacks. If you want your post to stay, you need to supply your full name, address and phone number immediately, here in a post.

Otherwise this entire thread will be deleted by Robert/DR1.

OneEstonian

Apr 20, 2014
It was prepaid. It is impossible to confirm implications that i stole things and destroyed property several weeks after we left. Here is the link to the Tripadvisor review.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I guess this forum doesn't allow mw to post the link.

READ what was posted, if you are going to BASH an enterprise, you must post your real name, this is a known policy.

I have stayed @ CR many times with different owners as well as Fritz, and any "issues" were always resolved, including broken fridge and lack of pillows, always fixed ASAP.

Post your real name, or crawl back under your rock.

OneEstonian

Apr 20, 2014
I guess you can just remove the post. I was just flabbergasted at waht the owners said about us in the Tripadvisor response (Try "One Bedroom Condo in the Exciting Center of Sosua"). None of those things is true, but there is no way I can substantiate that, except for the assertion that for "They set up camp in the common areas drawing unwarranted attention to themselves. The Manager of the Condominium (whole building) wanted me to ask them to leave on more than one occasion, as they were loud and, often drunk in public areas." The Complex mangement can deny this, but I feel now it is all an expediture of negative energy on my part. I will never go back there anyway.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
Try to use airbnb.com next time and check the reviews on the place that you want to rent. If there are no reviews, or something negative, don't rent.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
To the O.P....... How did you find this condo to rent? Referral? Web site? Real Estate company? What made you chose this condo?

drescape24

Big Dan

Feb 14, 2009
I lived at Club Residencial for 6 months in 2010. My only complaints at that time were that wi-fi was unreliable, and that the cost of electricity, although metered, was charged at the absolute highest kilowatt hour rate that edenorte charges. There were never problems with maintenance or housecleaning services (twice per week), but I rented directly from the manager/owner of the unit, who even helped me by renting a temporary second, substandard apartment that wasn't normally rented to help out an unexpected guest. Of course, terms were settled and paid in advance, with no refunds. CMP opened across the street and that created a noise problem which I found to be unacceptable, so I moved at the end of my lease.

I can understand the renter's frustration regarding electricity...the charges there were outrageous; I found a larger apartment for less money (and amenities) where electricity was one third the cost.

I will liken this problem to the same that is pervasive all over...if you inspect an apartment and see that the furniture is crummy and cleanliness and maintenance is poor, you should not expect a landlord to cure those remedies after you move in. And, if you paid cash up front before inspecting the unit, shame on you.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
And, if you paid cash up front before inspecting the unit, shame on you.

That is not the way it works. Most places require a deposit of some percentage, often 50%, in advance in order to confirm the reservation. Few if any owners/rental managers are going to hold a unit open, turning down other opportunities to rent, pending the arrival of the renter to know if the renter is going to take it.

If you were in the rental business, you would do the same or soon go out of business.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Kadi Sarv
P.O. Box 467, Fort Montgomery NY
845 977-4554

Thank you for posting your contact information.

That is not the way it works. Most places require a deposit of some percentage, often 50%, in advance in order to confirm the reservation. Few if any owners/rental managers are going to hold a unit open, turning down other opportunities to rent, pending the arrival of the renter to know if the renter is going to take it.

If you were in the rental business, you would do the same or soon go out of business.

I agree with Ken. When we were having renovations done at our DR home, we rented an apartment [through the classifieds on DR1 actually]. We were e-mailed photos of the apartment, and had to pay not only up front for the apartment [we stayed the month of January], but also had to pay a $400 security deposit against damage. We were lucky, we got there and the place was as described. What could we have done if it wasn't? Not much of an alternative if it's prepaid.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"No Matter How This You Make a "Pancake", it still has "Two Sides"!!!!!!!!!
We have heard only "One Side" of this one!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Big Dan

Feb 14, 2009

Club Residencial was not, in 2010, a rental apartment building. It is a condominium, and individual owners rent their own units to tenants if they wish and run things their own way, and, in Club Residencial, the way it was done while I was there was that the entire lease was paid up front with no refunds.

I was able to thoroughly able to inspect the unit I lived in before any money changed hands, accompanied by the condominium manager who happened to own the unit. There was no security deposit of any sort, and as a matter of fact, the manager allowed me to move in while my wire to the manager's account was in process (it took three weeks for the wire to clear for some reason). There was also no security deposit for the second unit I rented.

So, that's the way it worked for me at Club Residencial. When I moved from Club Residencial to a different apartment building the usuals applied (security deposit, first month's rent, etc), and, taking the advice from people on this board, I "lived out" my security deposit with the knowledge that my chances were slim to none that I would get that deposit back, because that's the Dominican way as well.

My advantage was that I was already living in Sosua and had time shop.

If coming from abroad, you are required to pay the entire amount up front, don't expect your money back if you don't like what you see in person. You are probably better off in a weekly rental somewhere so you can shop for your longer term place.

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
I just read the trip advisor review and there are always two sides to every story we know that... BUT I am flabbergasted at the tone of the response to that review. The response did note the prior great reviews but then the response went south there. I just think a better response would have been to emphasize the positives and not make it so personal.
That response didn't help the owners reputation…for that matter neither will a lawsuit.

P.S I just want to add that after reviewing the listing and despite that one poor review I wouldnt have hesitated to rent there…. as would most reasonable, knowledgeable vacationers. What would make me pause just for a bit is the tone of the response.

Last edited: