Maiden voyage in two weeks!!!...newbie!

themantis

Apr 12, 2013
I've been lurking for about a year. Finally will be making my maiden voyage in two weeks. I plan to stay at Casa Sanchez (CZ). Was hoping to hear the latest and greatest advice for visiting the DR/Santo Domingo/Colonial Zone. Many of the posts I have been reading are pretty old (years), was wondering on the latest info as far as
1. Tourist Attractions
2. Places to Eat
3. Bars/Nightclubs/Social Oppertunities
4. Places to Avoid
5. Advice on meeting local women (non pro)
6. places to get Bachata lessons (Im a Chicago Stepper!)
7. Anything useful you want to share

Alittle about me..
Single
42yr old
African American
Fed. Corrections Officer
from Chicago via Detroit
considering "early retirement" in the DR

I look forward to the colorful responses that I have become accustomed to lurking on the forum!!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I've been lurking for about a year. Finally will be making my maiden voyage in two weeks. I plan to stay at Casa Sanchez (CZ). Was hoping to hear the latest and greatest advice for visiting the DR/Santo Domingo/Colonial Zone. Many of the posts I have been reading are pretty old (years), was wondering on the latest info as far as
1. Tourist Attractions
2. Places to Eat
3. Bars/Nightclubs/Social Oppertunities
4. Places to Avoid
5. Advice on meeting local women (non pro)
6. places to get Bachata lessons (Im a Chicago Stepper!)
7. Anything useful you want to share

Alittle about me..
Single
42yr old
African American
Fed. Corrections Officer
from Chicago via Detroit
considering "early retirement" in the DR

I look forward to the colorful responses that I have become accustomed to lurking on the forum!!

wish i could help you with suggestions, but you are going to be in a part of the world i am not familiar with. i see you share occupations with my older son, who operates out of Arizona. if you ever plan to visit Puerto Plata, give me a personal message. i might be able to point out some places where you might be at ease.

themantis

Apr 12, 2013
Welcome...why the capital? I am North Coast type of guy so my views are a little one sided!

I chose the capital because I am a city guy, ive been to other countries and ive proven that as long as im in a big city im good (i.e. Tokyo). I am considering moving there, I figured I'd do well by starting with the city and working my way out to other areas.

themantis

Apr 12, 2013
wish i could help you with suggestions, but you are going to be in a part of the world i am not familiar with. i see you share occupations with my older son, who operates out of Arizona. if you ever plan to visit Puerto Plata, give me a personal message. i might be able to point out some places where you might be at ease.

I'll keep that in mind, thanx!

miguel james

Nov 6, 2012
My opinion you get more of a feel for what the "paradise" is like... I was just thinking that after living and working in a Big City you would want to expericence a little less of "hustle and a bustle"...If you are sitting in the square on one of the benches that arenot make for more than 2 adult and a small child and a girl come to sit next to you and about 2-3 mins later a man come to sit on the same bench next to you MOVE away...lol
Enjoy!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Is there that much of a difference between the capital and the north coast/puerto plata?

Yes, there is a difference, but if you're a "city" guy you'll love Santo Domingo. Beaches aren't that far. I understand you, I'm a "city girl". :cheeky:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Do you speak any Spanish? That will be important in Santo Domingo. It is a big city a little like NYC and little like Miami. Language skills will be very important if you are venturing out by yourself. That being said this is a big city so be careful out there at night especially.

LTSTeve

Last edited:

themantis

Apr 12, 2013
I have a "working knowledge" of the language...but my no means fluent (I'll be working on that in the upcoming months). Like I said, big city/urban metropolis kinda guy...I'm familiar with big cities at night...I do wanna experience the a little of that paradise eventually (would love to have a garden) I'll venture out further on later trips...wanna feel the pulse of the city for now.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
1. Tourist Attractions Spanish History is everywhere in the CZ. Old Cathedrals, forts, and churches from Columbus era. Cool stuff
2. Places to Eat It's the city .. This won't be an issue
3. Bars/Nightclubs/Social Oppertunities There are several Nightclubs Off El Conde in the CZ
4. Places to Avoid Considering this is your first visit, and your Spanish is not fluent, I would avoid going outside of the CZ after Dark until you get a feel for Santo Domingo. Hire a taxi for a day and have a look around. Don't be shy. Tell him what you want to see and what you are looking for.
5. Advice on meeting local women (non pro)I highly suggest that you venture out for a weekend in Boca Chica. Tourist town just south of La Capital. Regarding "non-pro" or "pro".. One and the same. The sexual inhibitions that you know of in the states do not exist here.
6. places to get Bachata lessons (Im a Chicago Stepper!) Another reason to go to BC. The chicas you can meet there will be happy to teach you Bachata, and pretty easy. Salsa is a different story. There are lots of clubs in the CZ, but BE CAREFUL.. You have a tattoo on your forehead that you can't see but the Dominicanos can and it say's FRESH MEAT & DINERO.
7. Anything useful you want to share Go with the flow and always have your guard up until you get a feel for the place. Do not let your first visit influence your decision to move there or not. Take your time. Average time new people live here after falling in love with the place and moving here is 6 months before they get a reality check and move home. Lot's of single men go home without their life's savings and a broken heart. Just go slow and DO NOT FALL IN LOVE WITH ONE OF THE CHICAS! at least not yet..

Please read my responses to your questions answered in red.. Good luck and have fun!

texan

Apr 1, 2014
I have just been to Santo Domingo for short trips. My girlfriends does have some family there. The traffic is pretty bad during rush hour. But they do have a lot more to offer then where I am in Puerto Plata. I would travel around the Island and get a feel for the different cities. I would get a car at some point and travel around and see everything before picking a place to leave.

I had a friend who lived in Santiago then Puerto Plata. I have spent a little time in Santiago. Without knowing a lot about Santo Domigo and Santiago it the obvious would be less traffic in Santiago but less to do in Santiago. I think in Santo Domingo or any big city your location you live is really important.

I have stayed at the Mecure in Santo Domingo every time. The hotel is pretty nice, not too expensive but a great location. You can walk to the Colonial City. There are a lot of places that are nice to hang out and people watch. Of course a lot of tourist in that area. The taxis also charge a lot more in that area. The taxis in the area just look for tourist who will pay more. I had a rental car one night but didn't feel like driving. So we paid a taxi by the hour to take us around. I forget what we paid but it was a much better deal.

I am sure once you go to know some people there would be a lot of places to go out at night. Walking around at night you can tell when the streets have a lot of people or not. The old city has a lot of areas with a lot of people and businesses then you can go a couple streets over and there isn't much. There are a lot of areas near the old city that are kind of vacant looking.

Not sure how much you have read or not about DR. But drinking imported liquor is more expensive. Everyone drinks Presidente Beer, Rum and some mamajuana. It is more expensive to drink especially name brand vodka, bourbon, etc. The plus to buy a bottle of rum at a bar doesn't cost too much. They do not charge the "bottle service" price like they do in the US. Ordering a bottle of rum might be the cheapest way to go out with a group of people. The really only have presidente beer so if you are into all the craft beer and a bunch or choices that will be a lot harder to find and more expensive.

Presidente beer in a 12 oz bottle is probably more expensive here then american beer you buy at the store. Most everyone here buys the bottle larger then the 12 oz bottle and they split the bottle. So you order one larger bottle and 2 or 3 classes. It is cheaper to drink the larger bottle but of course it gets warmer faster. Some places serve it cold and some places really cold. But they mostly drink bottles and not cans. But when you go to a bar they do not mark up beer as much. Some places beer doesn't cost much more at the bar then at the store.

Gas is around 5.50 a gallon. Cars, motorcycles, Electricity, electronics, tires, iPads, iPhones, furniture, tools, etc are all more expensive here. Housing, Property taxes, going out to eat and drink should all be cheaper here.

Right now the exchange rate is 43. So don't get ripped off by someone giving you less then 43. Western Union and other places will give you 43. Hotels and Tourist areas will give less. If you are going to use an ATM a lot you while want the cheapest or no fees from your bank in the USA.

As far as non-pro women that could be a long discussion. I haven't spent a lot of time in Santo Domingo but they have a lot more domincans that are middle class. A lot more people that have some of their own money to go out. But for the most part in the DR it is not like the USA. A lot of the women do not have much money to go out. They do not own a car and probably do not own a moped either. They live at home with their family and make just enough to get by. So a lot of the women are really crazy being pros or semi pros. Or they are not crazy and spend more time with their family. So that is the harder part. If you looking for a good girl a lot of them are not out too much. They are with their families a lot more.

This probably also changes but what city also. So the larger cities like Santo Domingo and Santiago will have more middle class but nothing like the US. That also changes the age of the women that do not have kids. You can find a lot of women 25,30, 35 , etc in the USA who don't have kids but still want to have kids and get married. In DR it is a lot less likely to find women 25 and older that do not have kids. A lot less have careers and higher education that is delaying their age they want to start a family.
But of course it is a lot more common for younger women to date and or marry older men here.

There is not much central AC here like in the US. So normally places do not have places as cold as we do in the US. Service at a restaurant and bar isn't as fast. You just have to get use to that. Or go to the same places and get to know the people working there. Some places are better then other. And of course if you tip good they will remember you. But the dominicans will whistle at waiters to get their attentions. The Dominicans will also point using their lips which is kind of weird. Overall they are pretty laid back and don't seem to be as uptight as americans.

Driving is crazy. It seems the larger car and more expensive cars drive faster and think they have the right of way. Just yield to everyone that comes into your lane so you avoid a head on collision. Buses just pass on blind turns expecting everyone will get out of there way because they are in the bus.

Long term it would depend if you wanted to stay single, get married, have a family, etc. That would have an effect on where you might want to live and your budget. It will probably cost a lot more if you like to drink and go out a lot.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
well done, tex. that is a nice array of accurate and helpful assessments there. if the op takes careful notes, he should be able to fashion a properly function modus operandi from it.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
well done, tex. that is a nice array of accurate and helpful assessments there. if the op takes careful notes, he should be able to fashion a properly function modus operandi from it.

Yes, Texans posts are very helpful but also very looooooong! lol! It will be a very looooooong time
before he reaches 500!:classic: lol!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yes, Texans posts are very helpful but also very looooooong! lol! It will be a very looooooong time

well, look at the bright side; by the time he has posted 50 times, it will be better than guys who post 5000 and say nothing.

texan

Apr 1, 2014

Yes I am new to the Forum and sure my post will slow down. I do want to learn as much as I can and share information that I know. I have had friends retire in Colombia and one retired here but moved back to the US. So I have had a lot of conversations with them. Most the singles guys especially if they retire young seem to date a lot and go out a lot the first couple of years. Then the get a little bored with that. Then it depends on if they really want to be single or get married. Most of them just moved down there and learned on their own. I don't think they were able to do as much research.

There are more americans in Colombia now but at the time there wasn't many americans in Colombia. So they had to figure that out themselves. But I think there more you know about the good and the bad the easier the transition. Also if anyone is on a pension then they have to learn how to budget at some point.

Knowing some of the sticker shock of prices and how to plan for that will help out a lot. Staying on a budget it is good to know that buying bottles of rum is probably the best. If you are going to take out dominicans and be paying for it they pretty much do not turn down alcohol and especially food. If you are going to take out dominicans and let them order anything they want you will spend a lot of money. But if you learn to take charge and order the alcohol and some of the food that will help out a lot.

Of course if someone is new and going to take people out they will also want to bring their sister, aunt, cousin, etc. It can be a lot more fun in a group but you just have to order the drinks. That is the plus if people drink rum it is pretty affordable. Another think is it does not seem to be to common for people to say thing you if you buy them food and or drinks. In the US you would pretty much say thanks everytime someone gave you a drink.

Same if you want some domincan guy friends to hang out with. It can be nice to be with a local. But most of them do not make that much money. I have one domincan friend that lives in Santiago and I normally buy his drinks if we go out. He is a lot of fun to go out with and can be the life of the party. He does work a lot and has his own money but I don't think he has a ton of dispensable income. He doesn't take advantage and since he will drink anything it doesn't cost a lot.

Some of the older guys here seem to eat a lot at home. Then when they go out they just buy a couple of drinks for them and their date. So their spending is pretty low.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Huge difference. Santo Domingo is a very crowded high traffic big city. Nearest really nice beaches are far. I too am North Coast guy. Puerto Plata is a small town in comparison with nearby Sosua and Cabarete with great beaches and nightlife. One thing I would offer is to start learning some basic Spanish as it will make your trip easier.

Is there that much of a difference between the capital and the north coast/puerto plata?