Avoiding DR inheritance laws validating US will at cancillera PLEASE ADVISE ASAP

B

BBNY

My partner and I (both US) are about to purchase a condo (we will not reside there permanently) in the Samana peninsula. I am aware of Dominican inheritance laws and the possibility of buying real estate as corporation 9but not tax advantageous for us). Lawyer in the DR is dusting the following (but am skeptical ?):

Please forget all about the creating a company here in the DR, too much headaches with tax declaration on a montly basis, yearly, plus you will have to pay 1% every year of the total value of the property. Now here is the solution: You and X purchase the apartment as planned, after we get the title in your names, you will take that document to the States and once there, you will make two Wills. Because under the american Law there is a survivorship, but not here in the DR, therefore, in case something happen, what the survivor has to do is to take that Will to the Dominican Consulate for legalization or apostille, bring it here to the State Department "La Canciller?a", and then through a Lawyer present that document along with the original title, into the Civil Court to validate it, and the to the Land Court to eliminate that Title and issue a new one with the survivor's name on it only. That Will will be valid here because you are americans, and the Will was properly made in America.

DOES THIS MAKER SENSE? PLEASE ADVISE ASAP, THANKS.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Why are you worrying about the inheritance law? You are just buying the condo. Is one of you dying from an uncureable disease. I would not form a corporation or would I really worry about the inheritance tax. You probably will be paying NO real estate taxes on a yearly basis so buy the property and don't worry about it. You may not even own the property at the point that any inheritance tax would have an effect. I think you are putting the cart before the horse. Is there part of this story you are not telling us otherwise just move on. This is the DR not the US, chill mi Gringo.

LTSteve

B

BBNY

No nothing am not telling as no point making a post without full disclosure.

Am worried as DR, Timbuktu, or US, 'no survivorship' is a strange legal setting. Several of the law firms website in the DR recommend buying as a corporation and when my lawyer advises against it -with a simple way to resolve the issue- am a little skeptical. As far as I know (at least now), hard to resale a place (comfortable with that, taking that risk) so -as we are both about to retire- certainly cannot exclude death of one partner (at some point). To find out then that one faces legal hurdles to maintain (or sell) property is a potential issue to us. Do you have views as to whether one should buy as a corporation (kind of complicated, does not seem worth it to me). And yes, I will owe DR property tax as my fiscal value is above the government threshold. Thanks.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
in general most courts do not look favorably upon efforts designed to skirt the law. Unless you have a way that disguises what you are trying to do I would not expect you to have much luck. They wrote and passed those laws with a specific intent. The value of a property, for tax purposes, is what the lawyers writes down during the transaction. Good luck

donP

Dec 14, 2008
S.R.L. - Why not?

.... Do you have views as to whether one should buy as a corporation...

To hold a property in a S.R.L. is not an unwise thing to do.

You'd have more legal protection and you and your wife could hold company's shares in whatever percentage you choose.
The survivor takes over the shares of the deceased partner.

I am sure Mr. Guzm?n will advise.

donP

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
Dear BBNY I am a real estate broker and my advice to you is to buy the property on both and your husband names, why create problems when there isn't one. If you own the property and you are legally married regardless if you buy it together the other person gets 50% of the value of the property when one of you die and your kids get the other 50% value of the property for which they will have to pay inheritance taxes if they claimed and if they don't claim it them the surviving party will have to pay 3% taxes on other 50% of the property value when he or she decides to sell it. Don't get involve into forming a corporation and do not hire Guzman Ariza for that because it will take about 4 months for the process to be completed when it normally takes between 30 to 45 days if all the documentation for the property that you are buying are in order. I just sold properties to Americans guys at the end of January of this year and they got their title 3 weeks ago.

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
Have your lawyer send you the contract before you sign it and put it on google translator and mark the part or terms that you don't understand and ask your lawyer to explain it to you. And buy the way if you do not trust your lawyer then don't buy the property because your lawyer should be one that needs to represent your interest at best.

B

BBNY

Dear JuanDolioLiving,

We are buying the property in BOTH names -as you are suggestion (so both of us on the title). We are a same-sex couple (will be legally married in the US but NOT in the DR as not recognized) and we do not have children. (If we were husband and wives with kids, I would have no problems with DR inheritance law). We both have sisters. Not that our sisters would claim anything but we would be in a mess (plus all type of paper work to prove that someone else has no claim, etc.).

MANY THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE AND ASSISTANCE (am fluent in Spanish so no problem reading the contract).

Dear BBNY I am a real estate broker and my advice to you is to buy the property on both and your husband names, why create problems when there isn't one. If you own the property and you are legally married regardless if you buy it together the other person gets 50% of the value of the property when one of you die and your kids get the other 50% value of the property for which they will have to pay inheritance taxes if they claimed and if they don't claim it them the surviving party will have to pay 3% taxes on other 50% of the property value when he or she decides to sell it. Don't get involve into forming a corporation and do not hire Guzman Ariza for that because it will take about 4 months for the process to be completed when it normally takes between 30 to 45 days if all the documentation for the property that you are buying are in order. I just sold properties to Americans guys at the end of January of this year and they got their title 3 weeks ago.

B

BBNY

I 'trust' the lawyer but there are so many warnings (e.g., in Guzman's website) about how fraudulous things can be that I feel a bit overwhelmed. The driving, for example, is not to my liking and the list goes on (corrupt police, etc.) I am buying in a very secure and high end condo (Xeliter Vista Mare) so no issue there but, unlike Las Terrenas or North Coast, it is isolated (both a + and a -). Thus, mastering the art of driving around conchos (day and night) is an absolute must. If you have an email,, you do not mind sharing with me, I will email you a couple of questions. (Are you based in Juan Dolio?). Thanks.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
---aaa

.... I am buying in a very secure and high end condo (Xeliter Vista Mare) so no issue there but, unlike Las Terrenas or North Coast, it is isolated (both a + and a -). Thus, mastering the art of driving around conchos (day and night) is an absolute must.

If it is the Vista Mare in Saman? you want to think twice...
A secure condo and then taking conchos at night???? :cheeky:

It's about 14 kms into Saman? (Santa B?rbara), which is a rather boring town with very limited shopping facilities.
Unless you'll have a car to go to LT you won't like your place after a few months...

donP

B

BBNY

YES, we will have a car since -as you correctly point out- it would be insane to be there without a car. Of course, at least for newcomers like us, it adds all the issues of driving in the DR. Correct, we would not rely ion public transportation has this would defeat the purpose. I agree that Samana is very average at best. I love Las Galeras for the scenery and LT is a bi too much (average beach, but great restaurants). Thanks.
If it is the Vista Mare in Saman? you want to think twice...
A secure condo and then taking conchos at night???? :cheeky:

It's about 14 kms into Saman? (Santa B?rbara), which is a rather boring town with very limited shopping facilities.
Unless you'll have a car to go to LT you won't like your place after a few months...

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008
LT Beaches

.... LT is a bi too much (average beach,...

Have you been to Punta Bonita beach, Cos?n or the stretch out to El Portillo?
They are all considered LT beaches, within a short distance from the town centre.

Of course the 'LT town beach' is less spectacular, but still much better than the ones in Sos?a or Boca Chica... :cheeky:

LG is at the end of the peninsula, IMO at the end of the world... :tired:

donP

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
First, the advice given to you by your attorney is plain wrong. Dominican inheritance rules will apply to property held in your personal name, no matter what you do in the US.

Regarding JuanDolioLiving's comment about not hiring Guzman Ariza because it will take about 4 months for the process to be completed when it normally takes between 30 to 45 days, I, of course, have a different perspective.

Our obligation is to the buyer who retains us, not the the seller, and definitely not the real estate broker. If the due diligence takes four months or a year, we won't close until then, and only if everything is in order. if it takes less, we will close as soon as it is finished. That's our job.

Also, it should be pointed out that we don't take commissions from real estate brokers, as some real estate attorneys do, because it's an obvious conflict-of-interest situation.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Not that this helps you at all, but it is the DR1 status quo... Rent for at least this lifetime. If through some miracle, Presidente extends ones life a hundred years, I will still be renting. Fire sales (rents) exist all over the island... Investor is the Dominican Spanish word for sucker.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
The Colonial Zone in Santo Domingo is definitely the most gay-friendly part of the island. Beach is great for vacations but as everyone else is advising, you'll be sick of living in the middle of nowhere surrounded by fat old French women on quad bikes soon enough. I would really advise some second thoughts on the choice of location. There is only one supermarket in LT. I don't know any other gay men who could survive with only one supermarket, one nasty hospital and no nice shops.

I bought here soon after moving here, but I have often said I wish I had rented first before I bought, so renting is an excellent idea.