A/C for cheap

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
But how much is it gonna cost you to buy ice daily?
Der Fish

If you have a fridge with freezer it wont cost you nothing. Doesn't matter the water you use. Could be toilet water for all we care. Freezing water in the freezer wont cost you more then what you pay to keep your fridge powered all day long

May 29, 2006
If you use your fridge to freeze water, where do you think the heat inside the water goes? You make a room hotter when you freeze water. Feel the back of any fridge when it's running and it's warm. Thawing the ice in front of a fan will at best bring back to the same temp(but the compressor generates heat too). You could put your fridge outside I suppose to freeze the ice... It's no different than trying to cool your house by leaving the fridge door open.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
If you have a fridge with freezer it wont cost you nothing. Doesn't matter the water you use. Could be toilet water for all we care. Freezing water in the freezer wont cost you more then what you pay to keep your fridge powered all day long

KK has it right.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Maybe I'll meet a couple of you one day.
You'll be able to show your inventions that made life better.
In the interim. Show UP---or Shut Up!!

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
Well this is bigger than I first thought. This is the key to perpetual motion!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002

Taking the heat from the water to make it freeze it takes energy. The compressor cycles use energy. More water to freeze = more cycles.

Regards,

PJT

msmfgf

Jul 12, 2013
you could reduce the humidity problem by sealing the ice in a bag so that water doesnt evaporate into the room. you will still get condensation on the bag, but that will just be latent humidity present in the room.
if you ducted cool night-time air over the inlet, screened for bugs of course, that would also help.
however the laws of thermodynamics do mean you cannot get something for nothing. altho this would be a lot cheaper than buying, installing & running a commercial ac unit.
you pays your money folks

May 29, 2006
One method I've seen is to put a sprinkler on the roof on low. The water evaporating removes heat from the roof and costs very little.