North Coast Beaches

Chasmc

Feb 18, 2014
Hello. I have been reading these forums for a while so i thought it was time i joined in! I am looking for advice on North Coast beach towns to purchase a vacation home/land. I'd like a place more laid back than Sosua and close to great beaches. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Welcome to dr1!!

Rio San Juan has a really nice beach and seems laid back to me or Gaspar Hernandez. Both are pretty sleepy towns... I'm not an expert on great beaches though.
I live close to GH in Las Canas and it is very laid back, too much so for me!!

Have you thought about Samana or LT?

Chasmc

Feb 18, 2014
Thanks, i'll check those out. LT and Samana are beautiful but too far East. My wife's family lives in Loma de Cabrera so we're trying to stay closer to that direction.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
I have a house I rent in El Doral but normally drive to Sousa or Cabarete for the beach. If I want something closer I can go across the street but it is a little windy there sometimes. You can go the restaurant there and i think the 22 oz beer or 140 pesos. or you can rent a chair on the beach and go to the little store and get 22 oz beer for 100 pesos. You can also go to Blue Jack Tar and they have day beds. The sell the small 12 oz beers I think for 108 pesos and you can eat there. You do not have to be a hotel guess and it is also real close to El Doral. It is a little less windy at blue jack tar. there are some trees there.

I can go to Costambar and Cofresi also. The water in Cofresi is nicer in front of the lifestyles. it is a public beach so you can walk in front of lifestyles. but i don't think people rent chairs there so you need to bring your own chairs or sit on a towel on the sand. I have gone there with my own chairs and cooler filled with ice for drinks. ocean world terrace is nice especially if you like karaoke.

I have gone past Cabarete a couple of times. Been to Playa Grande and I think there is a lot of construction going on there. as most people suggest i would rent first and go check out everything. seems like with real estate what people want for their property or house and what they actually get is two different things. i think some list at high prices for a long time. They don't really need to sell but will if someone pass their asking price.

El Doral has some good and bad things. There are a lot of houses not finished with people living in them. There are a lot of vacant lots that haven't been built on. There can be some nice views but you would really need to plan on how you built the lot. There is a golf course, movie theater, gyms, la sierana, ocean world, etc close. But it isn't a gated community like some of the other places. You see horses and cows on the street.

I have looked some but would look a lot more if I was going to buy. One big question is if you want to be able to walk to a beach or just be able to drive to the beach. I checked out seahorse ranch and that is nice but pretty expensive. Besides the house cost you would have to look at their monthly fees and electricity cost. Also you pay extra to use the tennis courts and they don't have a gym. The best think is it is nice a quiet with not a lot of house in a pretty big area. But a lot of money.

cabarete has a lot of nice bars and places to eat. you can walk around on the beach. they have some american live music sometimes and you can find places that show sports. the malecon in puetyo plata has some places to hang out. some are across the street away from the sand. and some are on the beach. some places with sand there and some places without sand. some people kite surf there but not anywhere like in cabarete.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
Try Pueblito near Puerto Plata. A lot of half built houses that one should be able to get for a fair price. Right on the beach etc...

that is the closet beach to us. very short drive. could walk but would take a while. if you wanted some exercise. that is the one i was talking about that it is windy. it is interesting looking. i do wonder what it will look like in the future. will it develop any more.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
If you want the consistently best beaches on the Northeast coast check out Las Terrenas . Las Terrenas is a beach town but more real DR however there is also a large European population where French, Italian, German and Spanish are widely spoken. Where do you live? You can fly directly from JFK to El Catey (AZS) or out of Canada and you are about 30 minutes away.

LTSTeve

gibbs

May 31, 2005
Have you ever spent a few months here by yourselves? There are many really laid back towns on the North Coast. It really all depends on what your expectations and estilo de vida you want. I second La Entrada.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
For a perfect Dominican experience visit Playa Ensenada, Punta Rucia or Playa De Buen Hombre

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Chasmc, first welcome to Dr1, I hope I don't chase you off. Hahha.
Please rent in different places for a while before you buy. It really pays to get a feel for a area before you spend your cash. Its easy to buy, hard to sell.
Also, while your looking at beaches makes sure they are good swimming beaches with less rocks and please be aware rip currents are common on the north coast. People drown often on the beaches here. That's why I love Sosua beaches because the reef helps to knock down the waves. Good luck.

drescape24

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
just east of Cabrera... 1/2 hour west of Nagua, about

small, quiet ( rhymes w/ dead) but will appeal to some... affordable.