Carnival Cruise Lines - Port in Maimon

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
28jw12o.jpg

Above is the latest photo from the port construction in Maimon. You can see a long and wide roadway being built to the main highway.

I saw the latest drawing for the port and 16 acres of the port is set aside for transportation (roads and parking for busses, taxis, and rental cars), the idea is to get people out of the port and into the destination. It has to be built so that 8,000 people from a total of two ships can get out of the port in 90 minutes. The number of passengers will be low in the first year (something like 1 ship per week) but will increase drastically over 5 years, subject to passenger satisfaction and industry demand.

All shops and restaurants will be operated by Dominicans, with the exception of the duty free shop which will be Carnival's partner Dufry, an international retailer.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Has it been confirmed that it will also be a transit port? Will pax be flying in and out of POP for cruises?

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Hi Conchman,

That looks more like an artists impression than a photo. Beeza or perhaps Rex or you can fly over and give us a real look!

Conchman - We found it interesting on another thread that you dispute the number of people coming into STI that come to the north coast! What basis do you have for that? You might want to look at one of NALS surveys on this subject -over 38 % of the people coming to the North Coast came via STI.

Olly and the Team

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Hi Conchman,

That looks more like an artists impression than a photo. Beeza or perhaps Rex or you can fly over and give us a real look!

Conchman - We found it interesting on another thread that you dispute the number of people coming into STI that come to the north coast! What basis do you have for that? You might want to look at one of NALS surveys on this subject -over 38 % of the people coming to the North Coast came via STI.

Olly and the Team

Its a real photo, taken today from a helicopter.

The 38 percent maybe the ex-patriots or residents who live on the North Coast, that fly into STI. That I believe. However, this is a small percentage of over-all arrivals to the North coast and does not represent visitors (tourists). Dr1.com forums and polls are disproportionally used by residents compared to tourists.

I dont' have any basis or facts to back it up, just using common sense and guess work.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
It will not be a 'home port,' meaning the ships will not be based in POP and leave and return to there.

I don't think La Romana is a home port either. But during the weekends, LRM airport is non-stop with flights. Many pax joining the ship or flying home. The ships stay in port for the day and sails off in the evening.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Hi Conchman,

Olly and the Team

Took this one on 28 Jan

13890317430_19061f0756_c.jpg
[/url]Untitled by axlebeastly, on Flickr[/IMG]

jfk-tampa

Jul 28, 2007
olly and da team
i for one won,t fly into pop anymore as i priced again pop versus sti in oct and the difference is 300$ per person even spending 100 for cab i still save a lot of pesos and in october the flts out of miami arrrive at the same time .

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Beeza ,
Thanks - not lot of progress since 28th Jan! Thats a good picture!

Olly and the Team

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
28jw12o.jpg

Above is the latest photo from the port construction in Maimon. You can see a long and wide roadway being built to the main highway.

I saw the latest drawing for the port and 16 acres of the port is set aside for transportation (roads and parking for busses, taxis, and rental cars), the idea is to get people out of the port and into the destination. It has to be built so that 8,000 people from a total of two ships can get out of the port in 90 minutes. The number of passengers will be low in the first year (something like 1 ship per week) but will increase drastically over 5 years, subject to passenger satisfaction and industry demand.

All shops and restaurants will be operated by Dominicans, with the exception of the duty free shop which will be Carnival's partner Dufry, an international retailer.

working papers on caribbean cruise ship tourism state that somewhere around 47% of the visitor spend is in the duty free shops...

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Im waiting to hear what CC has to say. When I brought up this project he posted that he went there and all that was there was a parking lot.. no construction was under way as I posted... Cccccccccccccccccccc???????????? Speak up... cant hear you...

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I've done a fair bit of cruising on P&O ships and Holland America, both owned by Carnival. The ships increasingly call at these Carnival-owned ports, and I was told that the model is that Carnival has an interest in all of the shops that operate there - they don't just charge rent, they want a percentage of what the shops charge as well. And they also own a share of the taxi companies that are licensed to operate, I asked two taxi drivers in different countries and they both confirmed this. The ships only call for a few hours, not really long enough to go out and explore on your own, so your options are either a i) stay on the ship and spend more with Carnival, ii) get off and spend money in shops that Carnival partly owns iii) go on a tour organised by Carnival at about double the price of buying it locally, or iv) getting a taxi tour from a company partly owned by Carnival. The whole design of these ports is to stop people going out and retain as much revenue as possible in the Carnival bank. So I for one don't think Puerto Plata will do particularly well out of this.

Sosua Sonny

Dec 30, 2013
You cannot rely on any private business to benefit or better any area. Their only loyalty is to their shareholders. It is not the job of private business to better any area in the D.R. That is the responsibility of the efficient Dominican Government.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Im waiting to hear what CC has to say. When I brought up this project he posted that he went there and all that was there was a parking lot.. no construction was under way as I posted... Cccccccccccccccccccc???????????? Speak up... cant hear you...

"The number of passengers will be low in the first year (something like 1 ship per week) but will increase drastically over 5 years, subject to passenger satisfaction and industry demand."

I can only guess what CC might say but it might include that passenger satisfaction will be very low, as Dominicans can %uck up a wet dream ,,,,, CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Whats the deal with the beach at the end of the lagoon? Looks half decent on satellite view. That could be a money maker. I for one would want to lay at a tropical beach and drink over priced rum punch out of pineapples. That is how Carnival makes their profit. Alcohol.

Went to Bermuda with a large group and all we did while there was hit the beach. Only a few did a tour or activity. And we were in port for 3 days.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I've done a fair bit of cruising on P&O ships and Holland America, both owned by Carnival. The ships increasingly call at these Carnival-owned ports, and I was told that the model is that Carnival has an interest in all of the shops that operate there - they don't just charge rent, they want a percentage of what the shops charge as well. And they also own a share of the taxi companies that are licensed to operate, I asked two taxi drivers in different countries and they both confirmed this. The ships only call for a few hours, not really long enough to go out and explore on your own, so your options are either a i) stay on the ship and spend more with Carnival, ii) get off and spend money in shops that Carnival partly owns iii) go on a tour organised by Carnival at about double the price of buying it locally, or iv) getting a taxi tour from a company partly owned by Carnival. The whole design of these ports is to stop people going out and retain as much revenue as possible in the Carnival bank. So I for one don't think Puerto Plata will do particularly well out of this.

wonderful post!! those who do not know how cruise ship companies operate should all read this. people are deluding themselves when they think that the average schlub in Maimon is going to get any of the money.

let me quote some information from the datasets gathered in Jamaica, one of the bettered developed caribbean cruise ship destinations. the country got 1.97 million stopover tourists, and 1.23 million cruise ship visitors last year. the cruise ship revenue was only 5% of the total tourist revenue, even with such a high number of footfall.

it ain't all it is cracked up to be. and, as an aside, of every 100 dollars a tourist spends (which is around the caribbean average) only 1 dollar goes for tipping.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
So any new developments done near or in POP outside of the sweet zone for the cruise ship owners is really for nothing when it comes to attracting cruise ship customers money?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
So any new developments done near or in POP outside of the sweet zone for the cruise ship owners is really for nothing when it comes to attracting cruise ship customers money?

the port area will be the revenue capture zone. the money stays in that area. start with the fact that Carnival's partner gets the duty free concessions, which rake in nearly 50% of the spend, to start with. Carnival will build the restaurants and gift shops, and lease them to locals. they will get a substantial kickback from this. they will instruct the visitors where to shop, and which tours to take. of course, they will get their cut from those operators. this is the Carnival show, people.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

he is correct. he saw the project from the road and there is nothing to be seen from there. even the pictures from the air show no buildings and no land construction yet. one would have thought this work would have started by now, they are scheduled to open in december.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
I guess carnival doesn't really know what they are doing , they probably got lucky with their other ports ! they should have contacted you people before getting in over their heads.