10 days to visit the country

nicodimus

Nov 5, 2012
Hello,

As stated in the title I want to plan a 10 days trip in Dominican Republic.
I was 4 times in DR but my visits where to Santo Domingo, Punta Cana, Samana and Bocha Chica on the beach side as most of the tourists. I was impressed with the country and the people.
My experiences where limited to the tourism people with the good and the bad but nevertheless I love it.
I spent some times in the capital and I meet some great people (mostly doctors and nurses due to fact that I stayed in a hospital 10 days :))
Now I seed some advice how to plan a trip starting in Santo Domingo or Puerto Plata due to fact that I will arrive from europe by plane. Get 2 cars or one minvan (we will be 6 people - 3 couples mid 30's) and go to Santiago, San Juan and Santa Cruz. I don't think we will be enough to cover in 10 days.

So, I'm thinking start in Peurto Plata go to Santiago and spent 3 nights there, then head off to San Juan for 3 more nights and the off to Santa Cruz for another 3 nights after go to Samana for some beach time.

I need your advice if this plan is good or some other suggestions about the destinations. Places to visit, places to stay and activities to do.

Thank you all in advance for your advices.

nicodimus

Nov 5, 2012
I forgot to mention that the trip will be around christmas and newyear's eve and 2 people from the group are speaking spanish.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
While Santiago is the nicer of the two large Dominican cities, I would not consider it a touristic destination. I would suggest staying on the north coast and see what you can from Monte Christi in the west and head back east, to Luperon, Punta Russia, Puerto Plata, Cabarete and Las Terrenas.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
By Santa Cruz, do you mean Baharona?

I can't see what you will do in Santiago for three days.. maybe drive to the litte towns around it?

Seems like you are making a Southern loop? San Juan de Maguana? That is a beautiful city but again, not that much to do.

You could plan on going down to Pedernales .. stopping at Los Patos, and Paraiso, and going to Bahia de los Aguiles. That beach is usually the destination for travelers to the south.

The drive from Barahona to Pedernales is one of the most beautiful in the country.. right along the sea...

But then planning on going all the way back to Samana for beach time? I think that is too far.

There are some good hotels down on the South Coast. If you add in Lago Enriquillo, you will have a good trip.