The Creators of DR1

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
I am curious how and what made someone (Who) created DR1 and why? I want to hear the interesting story.

I am aware DR1 is a interesting place to come and they have cool forum, you wont find this elsewhere on web. Agree?

And mostly, this DR1 is all in english, so thank god lol

Cheers :)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Dolores has told the story in detail in the past but I can't think of the search terms that will pull up the post.

Santo Domingo News, her family's newspaper, stopped printing and was replaced by DR1.com in about 1998, in partnership with Robert. I remember the newspaper from my first couple of visits to the DR.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Chiri, I remember the newspaper too, always in the hotels, and I loved it because it was in English. I saved one that had a great recipe for Habichuelas Con Dulce for years, it finally fell apart - but by then I had your Dominican cookbook!

And kaykat - no, moderators do not get paid, we volunteer for this abuse!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I wrote for the Sosua News for a few years. Did a weekly column, Samana Notes, and feature articles. For awhile I was probably the best known expat (at least by name) in Samana due to the column.

Apr 13, 2011
Dolores has told the story in detail in the past but I can't think of the search terms that will pull up the post.

Santo Domingo News, her family's newspaper, stopped printing and was replaced by DR1.com in about 1998, in partnership with Robert. I remember the newspaper from my first couple of visits to the DR.

If someone finds the old post that tells the story, I would also be curious to read the start of DR1... I tried to do a quick search, but did not find anything relevant.

aross

Nov 15, 2007
Has there ever been a thread with links to different types of chats that might have been prize winners/losers in various categories. ie: comedy, stupid stuff, interest short topics or stories. etc. I am aware of the various full articles on DR Related Topics.

It might be fun to read through some of the old chats we had all forgotten about (maybe quite rightly in some cases).

And I am sure Dolores and Robert would have a wealth of memories of old Chats. And think about what we would get if we could resurrect some of the really oldies (tenure as members of DR1 not age) or the dear departed friends.

Anyway lets see what happens and if nothing else is said fine.

I'll just link to a really fun night I had a few years back, hopefully the link works.

http://dr1.com/forums/living/81874-yuck-i-think-i-swallowed-some-them.html

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
I wrote for the Sosua News for a few years. Did a weekly column, Samana Notes, and feature articles. For awhile I was probably the best known expat (at least by name) in Samana due to the column.
I met you a you a couple of times at the gym at the Hamaca Hotel in Boca Chica, I think it was in 1995 or so. You said that you were writing for the Santo Domingo News at that time.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
So when will be the next anniversary, I once saw it was due for January 16 2016? I would like to be pat of it as possible :)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
We Moderators on DR1 have all signed a "Non Disclosure Clause", stating that disclosing our compensation package is cause for immediate termination!
So you won't be hearing ANYTHING about that "Package" from this "MOD", I need the money!!!!
AND By-The-Way, a "raise" is PAST DUE!!!!!!!!!
"Strike", "Strike", "Strike"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
The Team always remembers "That Mod are Gods" - so who is the Creator of DR1??

Olly and the Team