Thread: Gluten Free All Inclusive in Punta Cana QUESTION

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Gluten Free All Inclusive in Punta Cana QUESTION

I am asking for a friend who has a child that has celiac disease. SO, it is not just an allergy, but an intolerance to Gluten.

They are considering going to an all inclusive in Punta Cana. They have been to the DR before the child was born, so never inquired or investigated that aspect, since it was not a concern.

Would like some honest responses as to whether anyone has any knowledge or thinks that it would be safe for them to travel to Punta Cana with this child and have her needs served by a hotel?

99.9% Regular User
    Post Thanks / Like

At a resort the chances of you finding gluten free alternatives to foods that normally contain gluten are slim to none. Best bet is to ensure that the child does not eat food items that contain gluten. That child will be eating fruits, vegetables and meats. No pastas, no gravy, no salad dressings, no cereals, no bread and no beer.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

My daughter-in-law has severe celiac disease [she's also an MD], and they spent a week in Punta Cana at Ocean Blue. She had no trouble finding plenty to eat, and came back with some new favorite Dominican foods.

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

4. Likes PeterInBrat liked this post
    Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

all inclusives offer large choice of food so there should be no problem in finding something suitable to eat, providing that parents know what products are gluten free without relying on food packages. i would also take some foods the child likes such as special breads, just in case.

6. Likes Harleysrock liked this post
    On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Nacional in STI has some gluten free items.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Let the Wrath of Dulce unleash on Tommeyers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

You might want to check to see if the local cassava bread is wheat/gluten free.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterInBrat View Post
    You might want to check to see if the local cassava bread is wheat/gluten free.
    Yes it is, it's one of my daughter-in-law's favorites. Lots of new varieties now too - this trip I bought her coconut cassva and peanut butter cassava [it's layered like a sandwich], in addition to al ajillo. Good stuff and gluten free!

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Africaida View Post
    Let the Wrath of Dulce unleash on Tommeyers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

huh? I don't understand this one.