How do you send Private Message

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjstone

May 6, 2014
Sometimes in a message you'll read someone write 'if you want the number of so and so, send me a quick message'
How do you send a message (email) to another forum member, it seems I do not have this feature available(?)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Sometimes in a message you'll read someone write 'if you want the number of so and so, send me a quick message'
How do you send a message (email) to another forum member, it seems I do not have this feature available(?)

Left click on the name of the poster in the upper left hand corner. If poster has authorized receiving email and PM, in the drop down box it will indicate PM and email. Click on one of those. In your case, I see you are accepting email but not PM since PM is not in the drop down box when I left click on your name

Cocoa6705

Apr 22, 2014
On computers there are always at least 2 ways to do anything. At the top of the page next to New Posts it says Private messages. Click on that and then input the victim's user name and fill it out.
Der Fish

Good info, but I do not have a PM link at the top of the page. I see where it says New Post. Also, when I click on certain things like my profile, it says I do not have access. Finally, I can't like or dislike anything. I figured I was in a probationary period or waiting for a moderator/admin to give me access.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Good info, but I do not have a PM link at the top of the page. I see where it says New Post. Also, when I click on certain things like my profile, it says I do not have access. Finally, I can't like or dislike anything. I figured I was in a probationary period or waiting for a moderator/admin to give me access.

Have you tried what Ken posted? Maybe you have to wait till you have 10 posts. I left clicked on your name and I can't email or send you a pm. Unless you it set up so that no one can contact you. I don't think I've ever had a problem sending a pm to a newbie before.

The way to fix that is by going under "settings" which is right beside the "profile" icon

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Finally, I can't like or dislike anything. I figured I was in a probationary period or waiting for a moderator/admin to give me access.

Let me know the names and I will give ALL the dislikes you want for you...........lol

B in Santiago

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

At the top of the page find "forum actions" and click on the arrow, then click on "general settings". That opens the page where you can indicate that you want to be able send and receive emails and PMs.

Cocoa6705

Apr 22, 2014
Have you tried what Ken posted? Maybe you have to wait till you have 10 posts. I left clicked on your name and I can't email or send you a pm. Unless you it set up so that no one can contact you. I don't think I've ever had a problem sending a pm to a newbie before.

The way to fix that is by going under "settings" which is right beside the "profile" icon

All good suggestions. Keep them coming. If nothing else, I'll wait for the functionality to kick in.

I think we're all on to something when we suggest I have to wait to get a certain amount of posts. With this subject alone I could hit the magic number.

Definitely didn't set up the account to block anyone (at least not yet).

Tried Ken's suggestion of left clicking. Allows me to view the profile or the user's previous forum posts.

Tried the settings feature, but get this message:
Cocoa6705, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Cocoa6705

Apr 22, 2014
At the top of the page find "forum actions" and click on the arrow, then click on "general settings". That opens the page where you can indicate that you want to be able send and receive emails and PMs.

Appreciate all the tech support here!

Did that and get this message:
Cocoa6705, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Appreciate all the tech support here!

Did that and get this message:

You now have 10 posts, try sending me a pm by left clicking on my name

Apr 13, 2011
All good suggestions. Keep them coming. If nothing else, I'll wait for the functionality to kick in.

I think we're all on to something when we suggest I have to wait to get a certain amount of posts. With this subject alone I could hit the magic number.

Definitely didn't set up the account to block anyone (at least not yet).

Tried Ken's suggestion of left clicking. Allows me to view the profile or the user's previous forum posts.

Tried the settings feature, but get this message:

Try writing one more post and see what happens after you get past 10 posts. I remember someone talking about a minimum number of posts before access to some functions, not sure if true. But it was not too many. I think it is to keep the spammers away as much as possible, because there are people who log into forums, write one post and then spam a bunch of members by PMs... so I like the idea of a minimum... I think you will get access soon after another post - or a few more...

Cocoa6705

Apr 22, 2014
You now have 10 posts, try sending me a pm by left clicking on my name

no luck.
I can see you are offline. Don't think that matters. I tried with members who are online as well.
I get the option of viewing your profile or previous forum posts.

May 5, 2007
Click on your screen name on the post you just put up. Along a blue bar near the top of the screen you should see ?new posts, private messages? and several other options select FORUM ACTIONS? and when drop down menu appears scroll down and click on ENABLE PRIVATE MESSAGING

5 minutes ago I tried clicking on your name to send PM and it wasn't available, looks like you are OK now

Good luck

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
no luck.
I can see you are offline. Don't think that matters. I tried with members who are online as well.
I get the option of viewing your profile or previous forum posts.

I'm invisible so I can sneak up on you but you should still be able to send a pm ;)

Cocoa6705

Apr 22, 2014
Try writing one more post and see what happens after you get past 10 posts. I remember someone talking about a minimum number of posts before access to some functions, not sure if true. But it was not too many. I think it is to keep the spammers away as much as possible, because there are people who log into forums, write one post and then spam a bunch of members by PMs... so I like the idea of a minimum... I think you will get access soon after another post - or a few more...

Agreed.

I tell you what, when I do get access I'm gonna lose my mind with PMs and Likes!

I'm gonna stop now before CC gets wind of these posts. And we know what that means :)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
yipeeee he made it. I guess you have to wait a min or two after reaching 10

Cocoa6705

Apr 22, 2014
I'm up and running with PMs and Likes. Thanks for helping me get there.

Future reference, it does appear to kick in between 10-12 post for new members.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
You might also keep in mind that after x amount of PM no one will be able to send you anymore because your inbox needs to be cleared. Not 100% sure of the amount. For mods it's 2000 but that includes inbox as well as sent. So clean out your boxes once in a while. ;)

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I'm invisible so I can sneak up on you but you should still be able to send a pm ;)

You may be invisible..............
But we all know you are lurking in the high grass................
Waiting to pounce...........

B in Santiago

Status
Not open for further replies.