marriage license needed for birth certificate

Mullahman

Jun 26, 2011
Why do I need to get my us marriage certificate apostille in order to get my son's birth certificate. He was born in RD and his mother and i were married in the US. Is this just to prove that he is my legitimate child?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Because THEY want you to!!!!!!!!!
I can get ANY document you want printed here in the DR.
They TOO Know THAT!
They want "PROOF", not just a piece of paper YOU say is "Ligit"!
What do you want to do, "Fight Them" over "WHY"??????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Apr 7, 2014
I m lost. If he was born here, is his mother from here? Doesnt she have a cedula? Why cant she get it? Is your name on it? Are you asking how to declare the child?

Mullahman

Jun 26, 2011
I just wanted to see if this was standard procedure to obtain a birth certificate for a child. Here in the states the father signs the birth certificate and that's that

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
In the US you're a citizen by birth in the US (exact definitions too crazy to go into right now). Not so in RD. Many complications for this process.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Im Canadian. My child was born to Dominican mother here in DR. I did the registering with my passport and mothers cedula, nothing else

Apr 7, 2014
I still dont know what you are asking...Bro, when I did it, declare the child, I m saying it was: 2 witnesses and we went to the local ayuntamiento in Santiago to amend the birth certificate and declare myself Papa. I didnt need no whatever they asked you for. I just showed my passport, they recorded the passport number. They wanted me to fill out the occupational status information and signed the document twice. Give it a week to be recorded and go back and buy the notarized copy of the amended birth certificate.

You havent been back to declare the child yet? That is what you are asking right?

Mullahman

Jun 26, 2011
I'm just asking if anyone has heard of this before. I guess it is because I was married in the United states to her, and the baby was born in RD. Getting an apostille is just saying the document can be used in another country. I also wanted to know that since I'm getting the marriage certificate apostille and bringing it to RD will RD recognize my marriage?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Im Canadian. My child was born to Dominican mother here in DR. I did the registering with my passport and mothers cedula, nothing else

Same here, 'cept I'm a Brit. Registered the birth of my kids with the mother's Dominican cedula and my British passport.

Mullahman

Jun 26, 2011
I'm just asking if anyone has heard of this before. I guess it is because I was married in the United states to her, and the baby was born in RD. Getting an apostille is just saying the document can be used in another country. I also wanted to know that since I'm getting the marriage certificate apostille and bringing it to RD will RD recognize my marriage?

karnes

Sep 26, 2013
If I remember correctly there is a difference between having the parents married on the birth certificate and not... I was married in the dr and when my wife gave birth we had to bring the marriage certificate as well

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If I remember correctly there is a difference between having the parents married on the birth certificate and not... I was married in the dr and when my wife gave birth we had to bring the marriage certificate as well

You could be right. I remember being surprised the first time I saw Mr. AE's birth certificate, because it specifically states he is the "legitimate" son of his mother and father. I've never seen that on any other birth certificate, certainly not one from the USA.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
The "Junta Central" here needs to know for sure if you are married or not in order to determine the correct last name of the child, that's all. "For sure" means they want an apostilled marriage certificate.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
The "Junta Central" here needs to know for sure if you are married or not in order to determine the correct last name of the child, that's all. "For sure" means they want an apostilled marriage certificate.

My surname is Beesley, the mother's name is Vasquez. On our twins' Dominican birth certificates, it names them as A.... R.... Besley Vasquez and A.... I..... Beesley Vasquez

What names would they have it we were legally married? We live together in what Dominicans call "union civil" or "union libre"

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
My surname is Beesley, the mother's name is Vasquez. On our twins' Dominican birth certificates, it names them as A.... R.... Besley Vasquez and A.... I..... Beesley Vasquez

What names would they have it we were legally married? We live together in what Dominicans call "union civil" or "union libre"
I have to correct what I said before:
I just asked my neighbor who is a judge and she told me that there is no difference in the last name. The only difference would be that the child of a married couple is a "legitimate" child and otherwise it would be "recognized by the father".
No legal consequences either.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012

Yes, as long as you get the marriage certificate apostille it will be recognized in the DR. That is the reason for it.