Ostriches on the run again ...

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
We are lucky, even with this much rain lately we got the first ostrich chick hutched this year and many to come in the next few weeks. The climate change is hitting us really hard as this big birds need lots of sun to be horney but hopefully this year will be better, cross your fingers.

Maybe anybody in the East Coast where we can breed some to have a higher hatching rate ? Flat space would be grate. PM me for any suggestion.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Not to be a wise a$$ but are these large creatures being raised for food? And if so, do they taste like chicken?

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
In large farms yes.

In large farms yes, we rise them for pets as we only have one breeding trio, for meet you would need to have at least 100 young bird a year, lots of work. Our setup is private and a hobby with a little side income if you will.

The eggs taste good too, went to a resort last week and had a one egg omelette made for 4 of us, rest went to the hotel guests.

Not to be a wise a$$ but are these large creatures being raised for food? And if so, do they taste like chicken?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
so its not true that they can be dangerous? Remember reading about people being kicked? Can they be domesticated? I love animals but not fond of wild ones that suddely attack me unless they are behing a large strong fence.

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
Yes they can be dangerous so can be large dogs, but if you treat them with respect and know how to handle them then they you will be fine. Just had two more born yesterday and 3 to come during this week, the year is starting good.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013

As a kid in Montana, we had ostriches. The meat is very healthy and tastes like beef. Fat and cholesterol free. People also make things from the egg shells as they are similar to ceramic.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013

As a kid in Montana, we had ostriches. The meat is very healthy and tastes like beef. Fat and cholesterol free. People also make things from the egg shells as they are similar to ceramic.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
omg, you haz a picture of a little ostrich and he is the cutest thing ever. probably bigger than my cat but very sweet. :)

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
Finally after all the rain left we got some eggs and some chicks hatched, it's always so nice when this little birds come out of the egg and start walking after just a few ours.

Aug 6, 2006
Ostrich is a dark meat with little fat and better for you than beef or pork. It tastes nothing like chicken. You don't get hams, but you do get giant drumsticks.

How does rain prevent ostrich eggs from becoming fertilized?

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
think they have a few in santiago....all mof a sudden you think of jurrasic park...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Ostrich is a dark meat with little fat and better for you than beef or pork. It tastes nothing like chicken. You don't get hams, but you do get giant drumsticks.

How does rain prevent ostrich eggs from becoming fertilized?

webmacon said earlier that ostriches only get "horny" when there is a lot of sunlight. So yes, the rain does prevent fertilization. I hope that sheds some light on the subject.

Ostrich Reproduction - Animal Facts and Information