New Guy From NYC

N

NYC-Steven

Hello Everyone,

Moving to Puerto Plata (Costambar) on Tuesday from NYC. Giving it a 6 week go using an apartment from Airbnb, then figured I'd move on to another area for a while to see if I like it. Most of my google searches about DR lead me to old discussions here, so figured I'd drop in and say thanks for all the great info.

Little about me - no not retiring about 30 years off of typical retirement age. Coming down fully employed (run an IT business, just need reliable internet to work). Why? Well, a little disappointed with my current level of Spanish after minoring in it in school. And 1on1 lessons are getting there, but at a snails pace. So figured lets give the immersion thing a try, want to come for a year or so.

Why DR why not South America? Well parents are Jamaican, and I have lots of found memories of great times in the Caribbean. That and my Dominican friends here in NY did a good job of selling me.

Thanks - HI again!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hey, good luck here in the DR. When you have a chance check out the Samana Peninsula and Las Terrenas. Go to lt7.com which is the local bi-weekly paper to get a flavor of the area.

LTSteve

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Hello Everyone,

Moving to Puerto Plata (Costambar) on Tuesday from NYC. Giving it a 6 week go using an apartment from Airbnb, then figured I'd move on to another area for a while to see if I like it. Most of my google searches about DR lead me to old discussions here, so figured I'd drop in and say thanks for all the great info.

Little about me - no not retiring about 30 years off of typical retirement age. Coming down fully employed (run an IT business, just need reliable internet to work). Why? Well, a little disappointed with my current level of Spanish after minoring in it in school. And 1on1 lessons are getting there, but at a snails pace. So figured lets give the immersion thing a try, want to come for a year or so.

Why DR why not South America? Well parents are Jamaican, and I have lots of found memories of great times in the Caribbean. That and my Dominican friends here in NY did a good job of selling me.

Thanks - HI again!

Jamaican here. will pm you.

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
Welcome to DR1. On this site you will find useful intelligent information as well as moronic and very ridiculous advice. It is up to you to decide which piece the post falls into. Good luck. BTW I am much older than you and winter in the Sosua area so take my advice through the filter of your age and friends.
Good luck!

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
Wow off topic but it appears as if a great many of us DR1ers rise early in the morning. My excuse is that I am retired and do not want to miss a day. What is yours.
ps. I just remembered the days when my boys were very young.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Wow off topic but it appears as if a great many of us DR1ers rise early in the morning. My excuse is that I am retired and do not want to miss a day. What is yours.
ps. I just remembered the days when my boys were very young.

same as yours. why sleep way the day? ain't too many left to waste

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Welcome. Your ability to work remotely is just about the only way I would ever recommend anyone work here. Enjoy and do check out various locations.

N

NYC-Steven

Hey, good luck here in the DR. When you have a chance check out the Samana Peninsula and Las Terrenas. Go to lt7.com which is the local bi-weekly paper to get a flavor of the area.

LTSteve

Thanks will definitely check it out!

N

NYC-Steven

tried to pm you, but it would not go through. a pity, because as a fellow yardman, i thought there are things you need to know.

Guess the newbie needs a few more posts before I can get your PMs, thanks in advance for the heads up.

N

NYC-Steven

Welcome to DR1. On this site you will find useful intelligent information as well as moronic and very ridiculous advice. It is up to you to decide which piece the post falls into. Good luck. BTW I am much older than you and winter in the Sosua area so take my advice through the filter of your age and friends.
Good luck!

Much appreciated

N

NYC-Steven

So... I've been here just under a week. Beautiful place. Luckily a good friend of mine from NY came down this week to visit visit her family. I've since been "adopted" and don't feel like a complete stranger in a brand new world. With them I've made made my way from costambar to Santiago to Sosua to cabarete... it's been a great week... The pesos go flying faster than expected.

I've gotten around to realize I may have jumped the gun on committing to a long term rental via AirBnb here in costambar. I came down to interact with people and work on improving my Spanish, and it's quite the walk down to the main street before I see anyone outside of my buildings watchman. Eh, hopefully my host is nice enough to shorten my stay for me so I can move. Likely to Los cocos right in the mix of things in Puerto plata. Otherwise if they choose enforce the 30 day cancelation I'll be spending plenty on transportation until I can move.

Other than that... everything is is great... muy tranquillo.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
When a Dominican Family "Adopts" you, YOUR, "Pesos ALWAYS FLY Faster Than EXPECTED"!!!!!!
You are now their "Go To Guy"!!!!!!!
TIP, they really don't like you anymore when you pay for everything.
AND, the more you "Give" the more they "WANT", and the more they "TAKE"!!!!!
You will be much better off as an "Orphan"!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

N

NYC-Steven

When a Dominican Family "Adopts" you, YOUR, "Pesos ALWAYS FLY Faster Than EXPECTED"!!!!!!
You are now their "Go To Guy"!!!!!!!
TIP, they really don't like you anymore when you pay for everything.
AND, the more you "Give" the more they "WANT", and the more they "TAKE"!!!!!
You will be much better off as an "Orphan"!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Heh I'm sure such is the case. In this instance I meant more so for my own transportation to/from costambar when they weren't picking me up and my own expense in hanging out. I trust my friend from NY very much so... how much that trust will extend to family once she's no longer here i will see over time. I'm from NY.. plenty of people with their little hustles and plenty with their hand out asking for a little something (even from some in my own family) so.. I'm sure I'm smart enough for my pockets not to be bleed dry. Maybe I just expected my dollar to go a little further here.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Expecting their dollars to go FARTHER" is every ones "Second Mistake"!
I forgot, you're a "New Yorker", use you "Street Smarts" to good use!!!!!!
Have FUN no matter what it costs!
I DID!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
Steven, my parents retired to the DR 3 yrs ago. They did so early with a pension from the dept of education. They live a lifestyle they would never have been able to afford in the states...and have money left over. Unless your spending ur money on brugal and whores like cris, you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk