paperwork for a new car

theconsul

May 6, 2014
www.project8.biz
Goodmorning :)

We want to buy are own car (2nd hand)

If we goto to Moca and find a used car to buy what do we need to get to oficially own the car. I mean what paperwork to we need to do so we do not drive around illegally?

We need the official title?
We need an insurance?
We need to pay tax and get a document?

Thanks in advance

Tc

donP

Dec 14, 2008
50% + 50%

... what do we need to get to oficially own the car.

As you obviously buy from a dealer (which sometimes is not the best thing to do), only pay 50% of the price.
Take the car with you and insure it yourself.

Once the dealer gets you the 'matricula' in your name with a license plate, marbete and revista, you pay him the other half.
(Normally after 2-3 weeks).

donP

theconsul

May 6, 2014
www.project8.biz
As you obviously buy from a dealer (which sometimes is not the best thing to do), only pay 50% of the price.
Take the car with you and insure it yourself.

Once the dealer gets you the 'matricula' in your name with a license plate, marbete and revista, you pay him the other half.
(Normally after 2-3 weeks).

donP

so you are saying, buy the car, pay 50% and take the car right away with you?

after you have to go back for the matricula, marbete and revista? and pay the rest?

And why do you say, sometimes it is not the best thing todo? What would you suggest?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I know many people who buy from Turin Motors in Moca.. they seem reputable.

They are further east, near the 'over the hill' road.

The dealer will arrange your paperwork and it may be less than 2-3 weeks.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Why? Because...

so you are saying, buy the car, pay 50% and take the car right away with you?

Yes, and this is what I did when I bought a Suzuki SUV (some years ago).

after you have to go back for the matricula, marbete and revista? and pay the rest?

Yes, unless they deliver all to your doorstep.... :bunny:

And why do you say, sometimes it is not the best thing todo? What would you suggest?

Well, sometimes there are good bargains from individuals (leaving the country).
Some of them are not as cunning as dealers in fixing mileage, hiding accidents, etc. :tired:
Carfax is advised.

Many good threads on that in the forums.

donP

theconsul

May 6, 2014
www.project8.biz
Well, sometimes there are good bargains from individuals (leaving the country).
Some of them are not as cunning as dealers in fixing mileage, hiding accidents, etc. :tired:
Carfax is advised.

donP

i follow that but most of the times those are gas drinking American monsters (v6, v8,...)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm not sure if my man, Victor Hugo, is still in the car business.....

use the 'Search' button here for him.
use my name , he'll remember me, I was his first sale......

facelessdoll

Oct 20, 2011
If it's a private sale there are several documents you'll need before transferring the matr?cula to your name. Impuestos internos has a very straight forward pdf link http://www.dgii.gov.do/servicios/tramitesPasoPaso/Documents/PasosparaTraspasoVehiculos.pdf

I agree with William Webster, it's easier going to a lawyer for this, for the Plan Piloto certification though, you need to bring in the car, so they can match the document to the car's chassis and make sure it's the same car.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The thrust of prior posts was NOT to buy directly unless you're prepared for a mountain of paperwork and have a full tank of gas to run around

facelessdoll

Oct 20, 2011
The thrust of prior posts was NOT to buy directly unless you're prepared for a mountain of paperwork and have a full tank of gas to run around

It's not that hectic, my previous car was bought, and in 2 days I had all the documents.... The thing you waste the most time is doing the certification at Plan Piloto.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It's not that hectic, my previous car was bought, and in 2 days I had all the documents.... The thing you waste the most time is doing the certification at Plan Piloto.

good to know, but I'm more of a 'Push Button' guy.

just sell me the car and give me the papers....

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
You would have to pay the full cost of the car so that the car dealer can get you the Matricula and license plate otherwise they won't do it. If the car was previously owned by a Dominican then make sure the that person doesn't owe any taxes by going to the DGII the car Matricula number or plate number and due your home work, if the car was brought in new from another country then the dealer will get you the papers within the time that the government gives for imported cars.