Medina reigns in ministers perks?!

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Wow!

Medina puts damper on spending

President Danilo Medina surprised his ministers and officials yesterday, Thursday 15 May, by issuing a memo that prohibits high-ranking officials from purchasing vehicles, remodeling their offices and purchasing equipment. The memo, which was signed by the Administrative Minister for the Presidency, Gustavo Montalvo, also limits travel overseas to just two people with prior approval from the ministry. The memo adds that this is the continuation of the government spending rationalization process. The PLD governments have been ranked tops in the world for wasteful spending by the World Economic Forum Global Competitiveness Report.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The PLD governments have been ranked tops in the world for wasteful spending by the World Economic Forum Global Competitiveness Report.

i am always happy to see DR excel in something. ranked tops? orgullo dominicano, ya!

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Sorry. I've edited my reply. I see you chose to highlight the negative in my post from the DR1 News. I think we should give Medina a little credit for making an effort.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Sorry. I've edited my reply. I see you chose to highlight the negative in my post from the DR1 News. I think we should give Medina a little credit for making an effort.

i did not criticize medina, i simply made fun of DR government. lighten up.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
btw, i really like medina. and i take a great interest in the dominican politics. it's very lively and colourful. but i cannot help but to mock the government and politicians, they are a source of joy to my sarcastic soul, stand up comedy goldmine :)

GioMed

Oct 6, 2011
Excellent! This wasteful spending business sounds like a lot of crap #%!@$
does this organization not know what PRD did with DR Emergency Funds,
otherwise known as Bonos Soberanos? No.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think that danilo could not entirely stop the corruption even if he was in the office for 10 cadences straight. it is deeply rooted in the minds of the people. it runs wide too. even those who criticize corruption will try to buy their way out of trouble. but i admit he is making some effort although a cynic in me tells me that open acts like that divert the attention from some other crap that is going on. like all those chickungunya stories run in newspapers today. seems so convenient there is another disease that pushed dengue off the front pages. dengue that kills people here, every week.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Wow!

Medina puts damper on spending

President Danilo Medina surprised his ministers and officials yesterday, Thursday 15 May, by issuing a memo that prohibits high-ranking officials from purchasing vehicles, remodeling their offices and purchasing equipment. The memo, which was signed by the Administrative Minister for the Presidency, Gustavo Montalvo, also limits travel overseas to just two people with prior approval from the ministry. The memo adds that this is the continuation of the government spending rationalization process. The PLD governments have been ranked tops in the world for wasteful spending by the World Economic Forum Global Competitiveness Report.

It is about ____ing time this was done. These high ranking officials have probably abused these perks for a very long time. I applaud Medina for tightening up the process. These people forget who's money this really is.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
AND you believe THAT a "Decree" will do ANYTHING??????
The DR gov. has an "Anti Corruption Dept.", have had for MANY years, they have only two individuals found "guilty" in all those years!
AND, those were found "Guilty" for political "Pay Back"!
These "Groundbreaking" headlines are ONLY to give the "Masses" the perception that "something" is being done!!!
Until "Danilo" and those "Ministers" of his,stop borrowing BILLIONS of Dollars from the international markets to waste on "Corruption Based" un needed construction projects, and to pay the interest on the BILLIONS already borrowed, this is just a "SHOW"!

The DR's bond ratings continue to fall, as the borrowing continues to RISE!!!!

NO country can "Borrow" itself into prosperity!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"DEBT" ruins personal finances, AND Government finances!
But "Persons" can't print money, (Legally :cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:) but governments can, and DO!
Then we "Persons" get to pay for THAT too!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Or govern itself freely without outside oversight/interference. Trujillo understood this and made it a priority to pay off the debt to the US.

Truijillo was just a peach of a guy. While paying off the debt how much did he rip off from the Dominican people? Please don't use this ruthless dictator as an example for anything good.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Truijillo was just a peach of a guy. While paying off the debt how much did he rip off from the Dominican people? Please don't use this ruthless dictator as an example for anything good.

Everyone agrees he was a bad guy, I'm not condoning the horrible things he did. HOWEVER, there WERE positive parts of his time running the DR. Ask people who are 65+ and lived through it, right in Santo Domingo and San Cristobal.

May 12, 2005

Don't get your panties in a twist. Keep paying that newly increased ITIBIS foisted upon the country by the IMF and World Bank. When the country needs to borrow more because it has been robbed blind by all the politicos of today and it goes to 20% just think of how well the government is run and all services you get for those ridiculously high taxes. Sure Trujillo lined his pockets along the way but at least there was a functioning government that actually delivered services.

Aug 6, 2006
It is far more difficult for the DR or any other relatively tiny country to borrow its way to prosperity. World business is done in dollars, not pesos dominicanos. The slogan quoted by CC is popular with US right wing politics, which curiously, never sees borrowing for war to be a problem: it is borrowing to benefit poor Americans that seems to rankle them most.

If you compare the DR during the Trujillo period with Haiti during the same period, the most important difference is that Haiti's presidents stole money and sent it off to Swiss and French banks. When they were deposed, the lucky ones who made it out alive joined their money and lived happily in exile, pretending to be French or Swiss. The country's wealth simply left the country, never to return. Trujillo did not trust foreign banks or anyone but himself, and the money he stole stayed in the country in the form of monopolies Trujillo owned and roads to facilitate shipping the products owned by his monopolies.

The net result was that when Trujillo was assassinated, the companies, the roads, and most of the fortune he amassed remained in the country. It was similar to what Porfirio Diaz did in M?xico. M?xico was ruined by a series of wars between various factions as well as the US and France when Diaz took over in 1872. By 1910 there were railroads, roads, and many local industries. Of course, this was followed by the 12 year long marijuanada known as La Revoluci?n.

Trujillo unified the DR and Haiti is still not really unified to the same degree. Nearly ALL the money flows into Port-Au=Prince and rarely gets invested in the rest of the country. In the DR, the capital receives the lion's share, but there is a lot of prosperity in many other cities and towns as well.

The saying in Spanish is "No hay mal que por bien no venga." Even the worst evil has some benefits.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Yes, XO, I have heard it said by Haitians that compared to Papa Doc, Trujillo was a saint. Trujuillo did indeed modernize the nation, built the highway system, and left the country without any foreign debt. One friend commented that the difference was that then, there was only ONE corrupt guy to be afraid of and now there are thousands.