Anecdotes from Strength for the Journey

Aug 21, 2007
Working with children and families in Sosua can be magical. Many wonderful things happen. I often want you and others to know, even though most interest on this forum lies in other types of news. That's okay with me. However, I thought I would begin writing updates on what is going on in our almost finished community center (that shares space with a church) that Strength for the Journey is building. I am not writing about construction, but activities and great stories about kids.

We currently hold an educational technology (iPad and laptop) program for kids on Wednesday and Friday mornings. This is what happened today.

The Pastor's wife and I talked to our iPad kids on Wednesday about the upcoming sports/arts/music camp the first 2 weeks of June. Although I speak Spanish, I wanted Maria to explain to them so I could be sure they clearly understood what was going on and what was required. I made a flier and registration form, but am waiting to hand them out until I receive official approval from the mayor to use the heliport area for sports activities. (Helicopters rarely land, but it could be dicey if one was scheduled and we did not know....)

Anyway, the kids were told that they needed to register and we would need all their information. I guess Maria did not mention that they would be given a form.

Today, 25 kids arrived at the iPad program with homemade envelopes made from notebook paper. Inside each envelope was a self-made form with all their information (including some things I DIDN'T need to know!) As I opened each one this evening, I felt like I was a young girl on Valentine's Day. It was truly wonderful.

I am glad to have so much excitement and support from kids and families for what we are doing. Much good is happening and much more is to come!

Aug 21, 2007
I hope I am not "outing" you, Derfish, but you were a great volunteer when we held the iPad program closer to Puerto Plata. You were good with the kids, reliable, and responsible. I am sorry you are not closer to Sosua.

Lindsey

May 5, 2007
I hope I am not "outing" you, Derfish, but you were a great volunteer when we held the iPad program closer to Puerto Plata. You were good with the kids, reliable, and responsible. I am sorry you are not closer to Sosua.

Lindsey

Fish you old devil you, I knew you were a softie at heart serioulsy, good job guy

Aug 21, 2007
Defish, do you know where Casa Marina is? Head east. Pass Casa Marina (on your left.) The next block you see Bologna restaurant on your left. The second block you see Latino Market (with the Presidente sign on your right.) The building is light and aqua blue. We are upstairs, above Latino Market. We might even have a Strength for the Journey sign out front by then! We are there from 9 - 11 am on Wednesdays and Fridays. Would love to have you and other volunteers join.

Lindsey