Visiting for a possible relocation this fall...

INsearchOF

Apr 23, 2014
Hello from Florida. I am Alphonso. I would like to know what I need to know about moving to the DR. I am ready to do so, but I have never been there. Hit me with everything you got!

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Hello from Florida. I am Alphonso. I would like to know what I need to know about moving to the DR. I am ready to do so, but I have never been there. Hit me with everything you got!

This is easy.. stay in Florida where you are.comfortable and know what to expect from the other people living there.. everything you.wanted to know about moving to the DR can be summarized in three words. DON'T DO IT..

This is easy.. stay in Florida where you are.comfortable and know what to expect from the other people living there.. everything you.wanted to know about moving to the DR can be summarized in three words. DON'T DO IT..

Seriously if I lived in Florida no way in hell would I move to the DR, but many people seem to have moved from there to the DR and prefer it.

INsearchOF

Apr 23, 2014
What do you consider cheap? Rents is what on a two BR/BA w/ac? I live in Florida now but I grew up on the south side of Chicago. I am at a point in my life where I just do me; 52 retired and tired.

INsearchOF

Apr 23, 2014
Thanks DerFish, I was starting to think all I was gonna hear was "don't do it!" I am secure financially and I said the same to my people about leaving Florida. My Spanish sucks. My pension is 60K. AC is available "right?"

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
As long as you are not planning to go to live in the capital, go for it. Usd5000 is a nice income when you don't have to maintain children.

INsearchOF

Apr 23, 2014
I don't know anything, except what I've heard about a few vacation spots. I don't need that. I want quite, peace with accessibility to basic needs in a town where I will feel somewhat secure.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Others know way better than me what place is good live outside the capital, I live and only have lived in the capital since I'm in the DR, but it's not something I'd recommend to anyone.

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
Insearch, do u prefer a city life? Country? Close to beach? More touristy? Be closer to common folk? What do u envision? What is it u r looking for? What do u enjoy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

INsearchOF

Apr 23, 2014
I prefer country over city. Beach is good. You can have the tourist. I envision serenity with a bit of flavor. At 52, I just want to glide through the rest of my years drinking Espiranto Tequila and Corona's or as close to it as possible.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I envision serenity with a bit of flavor. At 52, I just want to glide through the rest of my years...

Serenity you can easily achieve. Gliding might be a bit harder for the first 8 months to a year. Without a good grasp of Spanish, most daily activities are going to be a bit a chore. You should be able to pick up the basics pretty quickly but any detailed conversations you need to have like explaining your medical conditions for insurance, or asking for instructions on how something works etc. might prove frustrating. You might appreciate easy access to English speaking expats or even tourists from time to time.

I know your kids are grown but you haven't mentioned anything about a wife yet. :) You might consider renting an apartment or condo on the north coast around Sousa/Cabarete/Puerto Plata for a year while you acclimatize and travel the country seeing what's available where and what areas will best meet your desire to switch into glide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxkjvKBPQjo

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I prefer country over city. Beach is good. You can have the tourist. I envision serenity with a bit of flavor. At 52, I just want to glide through the rest of my years drinking Espiranto Tequila and Corona's or as close to it as possible.

then you better bring it with you. any imporgted liquor is way expensive. You need to devellop a taste for rum. Try the presidente available statesidee. excellent beer.