Garmin Maps for the D.R.

DominicanBulgarian

Sep 14, 2009
I heard several years or so ago that Garmin has maps available for the DR. Are they available as an app in the iPhone? Do I have to purchase a separate GPS hardware to use the maps? Does anybody know where in Santo Domingo I can purchase Garmin?

Thanks a lot,

DominicanBulgarian

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Why do you want a garmin map for your iPhone, if the google maps application gives you directions as well?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
yes, I have a Garmin for the car and I bought the RD software for it (maps) based on info from here - $49.99, as I recall.

I love it b/c I don't have a full service phone plan yet in RD... so I plug the Garmin in - turn b turn instructions .

DominicanBulgarian

Sep 14, 2009
Why do you want a garmin map for your iPhone, if the google maps application gives you directions as well?

For the same reason William Webster cites in post #3. I don't have an unlimited data plan, but do plan on doing a lot driving. In addition, my phone service is from the US, so chances are that roaming charges will apply in R.D.

DominicanBulgarian

DominicanBulgarian

Sep 14, 2009
yes, I have a Garmin for the car and I bought the RD software for it (maps) based on info from here - $49.99, as I recall.

I love it b/c I don't have a full service phone plan yet in RD... so I plug the Garmin in - turn b turn instructions .

William,

Thanks for the info. However, the url didn't make it. Can you please re-post it?

DominicanBulgarian

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Plenty of free maps about, look at some of the GPS related threads.

For the iPhone, look at MapsWithMe app.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
talk about spooky..............

after posting the above yesterday, I got an e-mail this morning from GPSTravelMaps informing me that they have an update for the Haiti map...March20, 2014 update.

soooo, shop away

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Just so you guys know, Google Maps has an offline mode. You download the map data you want and then use Navigation with no need for a data connection

texan

Apr 1, 2014
i would like to buy a GPS to use in the Dominican. Any suggestions on which one to by. I have an iPhone but would prefer a separate GPS to use. I will be buying it in the USA.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
E-Bay or Amazon have them all the time.

Mine was a used one......... had lots of CA restaurants and Asian highways
Some people buy one for a trip and resell after

evox2008

May 6, 2014
If anyone is still interested, I can probably install maps onto your Garmin for cheap. PM me.