Hiya

NinaNetherlands

Sep 22, 2013
Hi all,
I've been reading a lot here already, so i better introduce myself a little. I have to move to the DR and i look forward to it. I visited before and enjoyed.
Now i just try to learn spanish as much as i can before i come, it's hard but i'm trying ;D
Thanks for all the data and fun posts i can read here on this forum.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Welcome to dr1 nina, and I hope your move to the DR is a pleasant and rewarding experience for you !

NinaNetherlands

Sep 22, 2013
It's for my husbands work. Last time moved to Indonesia for a year. But i think i will enjoy DR more. And spanish is hard to learn for me, but not as hard as indonesian language. Also from what i've seen when i visited before, you don't have to cover up on the beach and can wear a bikini. And its more easy to find a place to drink beer in public. In indonesia stayed not on tourist bali, so because of the muslim laws, for women it's very different.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Welkom!

Are you going to live in Santo Domingo? Not many fellow dutch'men' here, so that would be nice...

NinaNetherlands

Sep 22, 2013
Thanks for the welcomes ;D
No, not SD, thats too busy for me. After driving around the island a lot on last years holiday, it ended up being las terrenas.

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
Welcome Nina. Good choice. I love the Samana peninsula. I'd buy an ATV (4 wheeler) if I were you to enjoy it more--so much to see there; it's the perfect place for this type of vehicle in my opinion. Will you be working or just your husband? what did you do in Indonesia after you got used to it all? just asking in case you're looking to volunteer or have a part time job there just for fun...I wouldn't know where but just throwing it out there.

NinaNetherlands

Sep 22, 2013
Ya Samana is so green and the tolroad when you enter is like a dream.

I be spending most time just relaxing and working too if the internet connection is okay, i did so in indonesia, for UK company as graphic designer, so the moving to different countries allow to continue.
If there is a nice place to volunteer i will, but i havent looked for that yet. I used to do volunteer work for animals in my home country. But from what i've seen and read its mostly reptiles and insects there. Not sure if they need my help ;D But i love iguanas.

When i got (well i never really did) used to indonesia, i spent most time at home working, and meeting up with the chinese girl i met there, they are real funlovers. Getting massages and driving around like crazies, but i think that can also be done in the dominican republic. Kind of funny but the people i got to know best there are chinese. They are very open and freedom loving.

So first find a reasonable internet provider, i think i read good things about claro, than dont work too much, and be lots of times in the sea. Waking up, going to have coffee and enjoy the beach and sun.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
You are definitely right about the public drinking!

Also from what i've seen when i visited before, you don't have to cover up on the beach and can wear a bikini. And its more easy to find a place to drink beer in public.

These guys can use your help, if you are so inclined. (rhino iguana) Maybe someone knows of a local effort trying to help them.

Rhinoceros Iguana | Iguanafoundation.org

I'm not the iguana expert, but further checking also shows that the Ricords iguana has a preservation plan as well. El grupo jaragua has a facebook page about conservation efforts in general.

Ricord?s Iguana ? Conservation Plan - International Reptile Conservation Foundation

I be spending most time just relaxing and working too if the internet connection is okay, i did so in indonesia, for UK company as graphic designer, so the moving to different countries allow to continue.
If there is a nice place to volunteer i will, but i havent looked for that yet. I used to do volunteer work for animals in my home country. But from what i've seen and read its mostly reptiles and insects there. Not sure if they need my help ;D But i love iguanas.

Welcome aboard!

Last edited: