documents needed for DR marriage

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
As usual, things are complicated in DR. I was told by juez civil I need notarized translations of birth certificate and divorce decree. I got certified copy of birth certificate with raised seal etc. Waiting for divorce agreement to arrive. Called DR consulate in Miami, who of course were rude and they tell me I need Apostille. Never heard of it and they sort of busted my chops for not knowing what it was and laughed at me for ordering the birth certificate without apostile. Told her the juez never mentioned that, she laughed and said : you live in DR, you know how it is".

Anywho. I found a notarized translator in Miami that can translate and a company in NY that can do the whole apostile crap.

Does anyone know what other fun obstacles await me. Luckily I have not set a date as I figured nothing is easy in DR.

Tim Smith

Apr 28, 2014
The Apostille has to be done in the state the birth cert was issued. Normally it is 20 dollars US. It is another internationally required verification that the BC is legit, much like having something notarized in the US. You can do it yourself and have to send it to the DOS for your state with a check or money order. Ill post the link. It is required in countries that are a part of the Hague Convention on any foreign documents to member countries.

NYS Division of Corporations, State Records and UCC

Here is the 411 on an Apostille:

An Apostille is an authentication of a public document issued pursuant to the 1961 Hague Convention abolishing the Requirement of Legalization for Foreign Public Documents. The Convention provides for the simplified certification of public (including notarized) documents to be used in countries that have joined the convention. Under the Hague Convention, signatory countries have agreed to recognize public documents issued by other signatory countries if those public documents are authenticated by the attachment of an internationally recognized form of authentication known as an Apostille. The Apostille ensures that public documents issued in one signatory country will be recognized as valid in another signatory country.

Apr 13, 2011
And don't forget to get your documents translated into Spanish. I had someone in the DR Consulate in NY help me with everything/making sure I had everything needed. They even did the translations on the documents that needed translating (obviously for a small fee).