valentino ice cream in la sirena

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there is a new shop right next to the entrance (on the inside, of course). very nice ice-cream and home made paletas as well. 100 pesos a scoop is not cheap but the ice cream is very good. my fav so far is french macaroons, snickers is also very nice, so is white chocolate. the flavours may differ on some days.

i was there accidentally on the day they opened and i see they re still hopelessly disorganized. you need to take a ticket in the left corner, go to the right corner to pay and then back towards the middle to show the receipt to one of the workers and order specific scoops. too many workers standing around, too few actually working, zero communication between the staff. but the ice cream is very good! so get it while you can :)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Thanks for the heads up. Like pizza, good ice cream in the DR is hard to find. The cheapest Stewarts brand from back home is better than just about anything here at a fraction of the cost.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We had some Valentino at the big Jumbo (yes, redundant) on Luperon in StoDgo.

It was good, but pricy.

With the really good homemade ice cream recipe I found, our "ice cream Jones" are cured at home...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
There is a "Helados Bon" on every corner here in the DR, for a REASON,
It's GREAT ICE CREAM"!!!!!!
That "New Place" will be GONE is less than a year, hopefully replaced by a "Helados Bon"!
"Ron Pasa" RULES!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

GioMed

Oct 6, 2011
100 pesos is not bad, if it's good. Hagen daz is 140, I believe and it's so-so
Helados Bon is cream, water and sugar with some fruit flavors.

May 29, 2006
I've been making my own for a couple weeks now. About $6 for a half gallon. I start with equal parts whipping cream and half and half and add in different flavor bases. About 20 minutes to make just over a half gallon and then overnight in the freezer to firm up. Last flavor was Choc Malted.

Amu

Oct 4, 2010
100 pesos is not bad, if it's good. Hagen daz is 140, I believe and it's so-so
Helados Bon is cream, water and sugar with some fruit flavors.

170 actually, but oh boy it's good! lol....love me some Valentino too, its shop here in Santiago is always packed, they're opening a second one soon in Plaza Internacional.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I've been making my own for a couple weeks now. About $6 for a half gallon. I start with equal parts whipping cream and half and half and add in different flavor bases. About 20 minutes to make just over a half gallon and then overnight in the freezer to firm up. Last flavor was Choc Malted.
Yum.

How did you do the malted?

I'm thinking of dissolving a packet of Goya flan mix in some evaporated milk, and adding it to my whipping cream/sweetened condensed milk mixture for flan custard ice cream.

May 29, 2006
I used Malt flavored Ovaltine I got in an Asian store. I think you can get malt Milo powder in the DR.

2 Cups Whipping Cream
1/2 Cup Malt Powder

1 Can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 12oz Bag Semi Sweet Choc Chips
2 Cups Half and Half

Whip cream with malt using a hand mixer or whisk in a large bowl, set aside.

Warm Sweetened Condensed Milk to about 110?(warm but not hot). Stir in chocolate until smooth. Gradually add in Half and Half, then fold into whipped cream. Divide into containers and freeze overnight. About 9 cups.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Had two scoops (chinola w/ choc mountain crunch) today in the new Sosua Super Pollo:cool: You can't miss the counter, it's the first outlet as you enter the store on the right.

Last edited:

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
They also opened yesterday at the new Super Pola in Sosua. My wife had to try it last night and though a bit pricey it was VERY good. As good as many of the gelato shops we found in Italy. They were doing a good business. I can see multiple stops there in the future...like this afternoon!

Bob K

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
all the places are busy when they open :) but seeing bad organization of work in POP i predict a fall. a shop like this should be served by 2, maximum 3 people. in POP they had about 6. waste of money. one cashier and one or two servers is all they need. 6 people is just chaotic and unnecessary.

i spoke to the owners last week and they said they put lots of money in the business. i hope they will make money too. they are quite well off but still, no one likes to fail in their business ventures.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
They just set up shop in Palma Real's Plaza Lama Supermarket. Had a scoop of mango. The cone was delicious. 100 pesos, but worth the treat if you can spare it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There is a "Helados Bon" on every corner here in the DR, for a REASON,
It's GREAT ICE CREAM"!!!!!!
That "New Place" will be GONE is less than a year, hopefully replaced by a "Helados Bon"!
"Ron Pasa" RULES!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I have never had a good ice cream at Helados no es Bon, so I must completely disagree with you.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Just made a batch that came out very nice!

Flan chocolate chip.

1l whipping cream
200ml sweetened condensed mild
200ml evaporated milk
1tbs vanilla extract
1 box Goya flan mix
1 bag chocolate chips (I used milk chocolate)

Mix the condensed & evap. milk in a saucepan, turn on the heat, add vanilla and flan mix, heat until flan is dissolved. Cool the mixture.

Whip the cream until begins to fluff, add the cooled mix, mix like crazy until it fluffs again, then hand spoon the bag of choco chips until evenly distributed.

Put mixture into two containers and freeze.

I'll post pics later...

PiB, I wish I could find chocolate malt here...

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
yeah, Bon is chea[ rubbish….though i like the 'chinola cream' lolly :)

As for decent ice-cream here, the other option is the pommodoros gelato stand in the same alley as the resto in Cabarete.
The gelato is really very good indeed, though not cheap

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
all the places are busy when they open :) but seeing bad organization of work in POP i predict a fall. a shop like this should be served by 2, maximum 3 people. in POP they had about 6. waste of money. one cashier and one or two servers is all they need. 6 people is just chaotic and unnecessary.

i spoke to the owners last week and they said they put lots of money in the business. i hope they will make money too. they are quite well off but still, no one likes to fail in their business ventures.

i remember the night Splash opened their joint in the plaza on the malecon that houses the nice Chinese restaurant. 4 girls working in a hole in the wall. always more staff than customers. they were gone in a heartbeat. someone needs to hold some seminars here on staffing. ever watch guys from these electrical contractor companies doing a job? 2 little trucks show up, 1 guy climbs the pole, and 6 guys stand around yammering.