To buy a small SUV or to keep renting a car.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Synopsis.

1. Not intrested in buying a DR used car, everyone I've looked at had the OD rolled back and having hard time verifying Cars history while in the DR. Yes used is the way to go price wise VS New but don't want the headaches.

2. I spend $ approximately $5000 a year on rental Cars over a 5 to 6 month period while in the DR. I genrally rent the same basic car every time, Chevy Trax LT, never had any problems with them. Although they don't have much power.

3. I do not live full time in the DR

4. I have a small home in the DR

5. Want a car that will give me 10 years ( another reason I haven't bought used)

The question is two fold...

First part:

Thoughts on the Chevy Trax LT SUV ( its a base model car, it's really a suzuki when you think about it, Chevy bought out Suzuki) Only 2wd, basic power options, and Radio CD, really no bells and whistles, which I don't need in the DR. Colour AZUL. I like the Car..

I have seen plenty of these cars in the DR, so I don't think parts will be a problem..

Second Part:

I spend approximately $5000 a year on Rentals, I can buy this Brand New 2013 for $24,250 or I can buy it for $25,900 ( with a promotion that includes 2 years Insurance with the casa conductor ( CC would be happy) and includes one years free maintenance ( basically oil Changes twice a year).
Keep in mind its a 2013 already a year + old model, but its brand new.

Car pays for itself in approximately 5 years VS $5000 a year in Rentals...

Thoughts on this SUV? I realize I can buy a Toyota Rav 4 but then we are getting 30K plus...

Here is a photo, its not this dealer though, I'm dealing with SD Motors.

2013-Chevy-Trax-Review-Small-SUV.jpg

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my understanding is that a car needs to be turned on and moved regularly, even if new. so you will need someone trustworthy who will start the car and take it for a 2 minute ride. dominican climate is not favourable for cars. you need to wash and wax them and preferably store them out of the sun. so you will need a storage room and someone to give occasional maintenance to the car when you are not here.

so i would not buy. keep on renting. if you decide to buy after all keep in in a storage (sosua has storage for cars, 38 dollars a month) or have someone trustworthy take care of the car for you. a friend of mine went on holidays an left me his land cruiser. i start it every now and then, i had it fixed for him, cleaned, waxed and generally give it some care. when i sent him a picture he said it does not look like his car ;) but i do not drive around in it and i do not abuse the trust put in me.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
my understanding is that a car needs to be turned on and moved regularly, even if new. so you will need someone trustworthy who will start the car and take it for a 2 minute ride. dominican climate is not favourable for cars. you need to wash and wax them and preferably store them out of the sun. so you will need a storage room and someone to give occasional maintenance to the car when you are not here.

so i would not buy. keep on renting. if you decide to buy after all keep in in a storage (sosua has storage for cars, 38 dollars a month) or have someone trustworthy take care of the car for you. a friend of mine went on holidays an left me his land cruiser. i start it every now and then, i had it fixed for him, cleaned, waxed and generally give it some care. when i sent him a picture he said it does not look like his car ;) but i do not drive around in it and i do not abuse the trust put in me.

DV8 please move to PC area.. You are hired!!! :)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We've been coming to DR for about 40 years, and renting cars every time. Thousands of dollars each year, every year. This year we took the plunge and brought one of our own cars down to DR [like you, I'd never buy a used car there]. We've got it parked in our garage, with a cover, filled with dryer sheets, and two boxes of mothballs under the engine on the garage floor. We still don't know what we're going to come back to. :cry:

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
We've been coming to DR for about 40 years, and renting cars every time. Thousands of dollars each year, every year. This year we took the plunge and brought one of our own cars down to DR [like you, I'd never buy a used car there]. We've got it parked in our garage, with a cover, filled with dryer sheets, and two boxes of mothballs under the engine on the garage floor. We still don't know what we're going to come back to. :cry:

Im just curious as to why the Dryer Sheets ( I'm assuming you mean Bounce sheets) and what are the mothballs for?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Im just curious as to why the Dryer Sheets ( I'm assuming you mean Bounce sheets) and what are the mothballs for?

They keep the rats away from the wires and the upholstery, they hate the smell of both. Hopefully. We've heard some horror stories of rats getting into engines and chewing all the wiring. Happened to my BIL in SD when he was in Florida for only a few weeks, and we're talking about El Million, not filthy barrio.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
countless exotic car owners store thir cars for 5-6-7 months without incident.

short term starts are killers.... they just create condensation which leads to rusting.
a good 40-50 minute run is the trick -- or, just leave it alone.

I used to put the fuel stabilizer in mine for the 7-8 months it sat... and full tank ! less condensation.

Moth balls, bounce sheets or a cat.... rodents jumop on cars more in the north , I think when it gets cold.
let others speak to that.

Your case is simple arithmetic with a dose of responsibility thrown in.

If you had a trusted driver and/or mechanic he would prepare the car for your arrival and pick you up at the airport.

It is a very nice feeling to step into your own car at the curb......

you can get Sirius for the car....

BUT -- repairs are on you.... new car is a good idea.

I have two cars... one my own brought in, the other bought in SD w/ 9,000 miles and 8 months warranty left on it.
Buying the year old 'new' is a good way to go unless you find one still under warranty.

The math is easy -- the rest is personal choice.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
sorry - forgot......... solar trickle charger for the battery.

this is about an RD car while you are in Canada( I assume)....
what do you do w/ that Cdn car while you go away for 6 months?

I left my car - 2012 Jeep In Philadelphia from Oct 27 to April 25 .....
Covered, trickled... no mouse repellent .... in a field, away from falling branches
Terrible winter there.

My wife started it before I got there - had the oil changed, checked over - ready to roll.
Not one problem.

The RD cars sit no more than 2 months inactive.

To get really good advice on storage log on to Maserati Life or Ferrari Chat

Those boys/girls store cars frequently and well.

good luck

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Keep RENTING!!!!!!!!!
Let the "HEADACHES" belong to someone else!
You will always drive a new car!
After the "Free" period, the insurance may be 30 to 40,000 a year.
How would you like to wait 1 to 2 months for your car to be repaired, after an accident, or a breakdown????????

"Mothballs" are so "Moth's" can procreate!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Keep RENTING!!!!!!!!!
Let the "HEADACHES" belong to someone else!
You will always drive a new car!
After the "Free" period, the insurance may be 30 to 40,000 a year.
How would you like to wait 1 to 2 months for your car to be repaired, after an accident, or a breakdown????????

"Mothballs" are so "Moth's" can procreate!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Why would the insurance be so much? The insurance is with Banco Reservas I think. Why would it be so much after the 2 year free period? Couldn't I just shop around for insurance at the end of the two years..

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
These are all things you can predetermine.... insurance costs, etc.... whole thread on it here where CCologne advocated the Casa Conductor....
He knows where to find it -- and may be happy to show you.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
car insurance depends, of course, on the car and the insurer. but newish SUVs cost about 1000 dollars a year. can be more. my in laws pay over 2k dollars for each jeepeta they have. no idea as to insurances where you come from so i cannot compare but i know i am glad i have a full insurance in DR, whatever the cost. you never know.

i know it's nice to drive your own car, i have one. but i also know the car costs money in terms of maintenance. and it costs time and nerves. why bother is someone can do this dirty job for you?

things may be different if you come here, say, every month for a week. then you do not need anyone to help you out.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
car insurance depends, of course, on the car and the insurer. but newish SUVs cost about 1000 dollars a year. can be more. my in laws pay over 2k dollars for each jeepeta they have. no idea as to insurances where you come from so i cannot compare but i know i am glad i have a full insurance in DR, whatever the cost. you never know.

i know it's nice to drive your own car, i have one. but i also know the car costs money in terms of maintenance. and it costs time and nerves. why bother is someone can do this dirty job for you?

things may be different if you come here, say, every month for a week. then you do not need anyone to help you out.

I was quoted 1800 a year in the DR. In Canada Insurance Companies pull up an "abstract" that shows your speeding tickets, accidents and more. In canada I pay 1,300 a year for an SUV with a good driving record.

I have no idea how insurance is calculated in the DR. But if I have the 2 years free from the Dealer, and maintain a clean driving record wouldn't that mean something in the DR? Do they even have a data base with your driving history?

Also about leaving a car for 2 or 3 months not driven in a tropical climate, why wouldn't it start? Batteries die in cold climates.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
trickle charger solves the dead battery worry..

the newer cars, like the newer cell phones have bigger , better batteries b/c they have mucho electronics, which work all the time.
That Jeep of mine has a big lithium battery under the passenger seat, not under the hood.... huge!

Car ownership is personal and you're at a tough spot... 6 months in and 6 months out

You could justify owning a car at each end.... up to you....

You have one foot in each pail, as they say.

It costs money to run two residences.... ask me ---------- 3 going here!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
few weeks ago i needed to help a guy who left his SUV here (used but in great condition). the battery was dead and the car would not start. i came in with a mechanic who checked the car. i took a look at the battery and it was all covered with a thick foamy substance. i understand that it's a result of the corrosion. it's a bit like tarnish or something. no idea what it's called.

regarding the insurance, i think your driving history is of no importance.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It's intersting tto think about this..... 6 months in each residence

why do I have a car in NoAmerica for my measly 4 +/- months a year?
It sits for the rest of the time.

sure , I need to travel 600 miles between houses in Can/USA.

why? , b/c when you live in more than one place , you need to put down roots.

Cars are that type of thing for me.....

Leaving the renting $$$ out of it..... 6 months for Contango is 24 weeks a year in a residence he owns.

some of us that live like this - nomads of a type - travel w/ no luggage..... speaking for myself
A carry-on of goodies..... no clothes, toothbrush

everything is duplicated.... hard for some to understand..... a way of life for others

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
It's intersting tto think about this..... 6 months in each residence

why do I have a car in NoAmerica for my measly 4 +/- months a year?
It sits for the rest of the time.

sure , I need to travel 600 miles between houses in Can/USA.

why? , b/c when you live in more than one place , you need to put down roots.

Cars are that type of thing for me.....

Leaving the renting $$$ out of it..... 6 months for Contango is 24 weeks a year in a residence he owns.

some of us that live like this - nomads of a type - travel w/ no luggage..... speaking for myself
A carry-on of goodies..... no clothes, toothbrush

everything is duplicated.... hard for some to understand..... a way of life for others

That is exactly the feeling. Nomad. Like a biker without a charter if you watch Sons Of Anarchy.
The one thing about having two homes is that feeling of never quite feeling settled, and planning a life around two residences. I'm getting use to it after 3 years.

I'm going to buy the car.

They will put it in a flatbed and deliver it to PC when I arrive in a few weeks. I'm also happy I'm just settled on a plain jane automobile not a huge price tag, basic jeepeta. Nobody actually commented on the actual car?

Last edited:
May 5, 2007

A fine smelling automobile I would think!

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
If you live in ________ full time, buy a car. If you don't live there full time, rent a car. You can put any country name here, not only DR.

The only reason to buy a car if you don't live there full time is if you want something that you can't rent, Ford F350 for example.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
For what it's worth, it seems SD Motors has very a good service/parts department, incredibly helpful & efficient for the DR on my previous visits...

As mentioned, I'd suggest the 'Casa Conductor' segment in the insurance for sure.
Never driven the car your buying, can't help there..
Good luck