When is the cheapest time/date to travel?

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I am retired and can easily organise to travel at any time of the year. All the booking agents who advertise special deals to where ever never tell you when. Anybody know of any company who will tell me WHEN it's the cheapest to fly?

Aug 6, 2006
As a rule, inconvenient days and times of departure are discounted: Tuesday and Wednesday, departures before 9AM.

If you go to the airline website, you can review fares and compare them, just do not specify the time.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Hurricane season.

Go on the booking sites and play around with 21-60 day reservations. Right after July 1st until the middle of September the prices on the shorter notice fares will take downward spikes as the weather predictions are forecast. I've done this for years and only actually been caught in weather which delayed my departure twice and forced to land at an unscheduled airport (SJU) and wait it out for 24 hours once.

All my best fares to the Caribbean have been in late July and August.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
everyone has an opinion but I have never seen any evidence to support any of the theories. Other than 9/11 I would not look with any preconceived notions. I just take my time and look every day once I decide when I am going. You need to do the leg work unfortunately and its a pain but lots of looking has always rewarded me with a good price. Flying into POP is more expensive than SDQ but if you factor in the dangers, time and costs of getting out of the SDQ airport to POP it works out to be the same. POP is a much safer airport than SDQ.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
everyone has an opinion but I have never seen any evidence to support any of the theories. Other than 9/11 I would not look with any preconceived notions. I just take my time and look every day once I decide when I am going. You need to do the leg work unfortunately and its a pain but lots of looking has always rewarded me with a good price. Flying into POP is more expensive than SDQ but if you factor in the dangers, time and costs of getting out of the SDQ airport to POP it works out to be the same. POP is a much safer airport than SDQ.

for me.... SDQ is almost a tank of expensive gas, tolls and the driver.

POP is less gas, no tolls and closer to Cabrera.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I am retired and can easily organise to travel at any time of the year. All the booking agents who advertise special deals to where ever never tell you when. Anybody know of any company who will tell me WHEN it's the cheapest to fly?

What airport are you flying out of? You need to furnish more info.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
If you are flying from the UK then the month of May is incredibly cheap. Thomson will sell you a 7/14/21/28 day return for ?275 from Manchester to Puerto Plata... the equivalent of $465 including all taxes.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i find that the cheapest flights out of DR are in may and/or september. i figure it will be the same for flights to DR. some websites offer to see the calendar with flight prices for entire month. i always see that in a month there will always be one set of flights cheaper than all the others. for airberlin, for example, it's usually 100-200 euro less.

May 29, 2006
Oct flights from NYC to POP start around $375, which is about as low as I ever see them. Hurricanes much?