Broad Daylinght Mugging Cabarete/Celuisima Entrada

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Enjoy meeting new people/cultures
CONSTANT CAUTION. Between 11 00 and 11 30 On way back home with my plumber saw an older Dutch? German? woman mugged by a moto man. He knocked over his cycle trying to get her. Pushed her down on the street, stole her purse and ran off. He saw us coming and would have probably went for her jewelry and passport next. Too far and could not give a useful description.

Locals all stopped to help her. I scooped up all the money, passport and Scotiabank passbook( she had probably just been to the bank ) and sat with her until the Tourismo taxi took her and her things off to Centro Medico. I asked if she spoke English and she said nothing.

Any one know anything - let Celuisima guys know - they came out rather quick, as did police. Guy got away somewhere in the mess of closed up hotels and projects. Possibly Scotiabank would have him on Camera? or at least her?

Caution - Wearing jewelry, alone, with bank book and money....and rather elderly. She probably never had a problem before. Hope she is ok and safe.

First one of those I have seen here...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Caution - Wearing jewelry, alone, with bank book and money....and rather elderly. She probably never had a problem before. Hope she is ok and safe.

First one of those I have seen here...

I hope so too. Perfect example of someone without "street smarts" though.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
these scum target the elderly, the infirm and those who look like they cannot protect themselves. If you do not like guns then get a vicious looking dog. He just has to look mean, not necessarily, an attack dog and be of medium size. No one will mess with you. This lady has had her peace of mind destroyed and will never feel safe out in the street again.

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
Sadly, many tourists do not realize the DR can be a dangerous place outside the security of the AI......

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
As much as I 'feel for her' that area (Jardines Deportivo) went to put it mildly to hell in a handbasket a long time ago. Tourists have no business being there, I am happy Celuisma is open for the jobs it brings, but it is just not the right place for tourists anymore.

Glad you were there to help Caribeman and no offense to you.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
The area between the road and the sea as you drive out of Sabaneta. It has two entrances and you used to be able to go from there via the beach road to the Boca de Yessica

It is a drug infested area, where a lot of drug related people have taken over the abandoned hotels/pensions, although some are being guarded, awaiting better times

The area between the road and the sea as you drive out of Sabaneta. It has two entrances and you used to be able to go from there via the beach road to the Boca de Yessica

It is a drug infested area, where a lot of drug related people have taken over the abandoned hotels/pensions, although some are being guarded, awaiting better times

Ahh ok thank you, not the best area for sure!

fivefingers

Jul 8, 2011
See, one of the many reasons not to move to dr. These things happen every day.
My in laws have a new story every week about how someone in the barrio has been killed, mugged, etcetera.

My in laws have a new story every week about how someone in the barrio has been killed, mugged, etcetera.

This is a ridiculous statement! I live in a barrio and not one bad thing has happened to us here. Whenever we get hurt or something happens the barrio peeps are the first to come running to help us!
The DR is not all non stop violent crime, not the one I live in anyways!

Where do your in laws live? SD?

fivefingers

Jul 8, 2011
Wow! You come on strong tagging my statement as ridiculous.
Every week and I am not exaggerating. Yes, Santo Domingo, las minas. Dominicanos don't want to live there. Must be a reason they are all desperate to leave the country.

fivefingers

Jul 8, 2011
This is a ridiculous statement! I live in a barrio and not one bad thing has happened to us here. Whenever we get hurt or something happens the barrio peeps are the first to come running to help us!
The DR is not all non stop violent crime, not the one I live in anyways!

Where do your in laws live? SD?

Where do you live? Sounds ideal.

Every week and I am not exaggerating. Yes, Santo Domingo, las minas. Dominicanos don't want to live there. Must be a reason they are all desperate to leave the country.

Well there are dangerous areas for sure but not all are. I just don't see it as dangerous as some try and make it out to be!

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com

If I recall correctly Los Minas is located almost on the riverbank in sdq northeast.

If this is the area; then it is not one of the best places to live; I can fully understand 5fingers stories

Harley lives in Las Canas, a sleepy fishing coomunity dotted by some very nice gringo houses along the beach.

There is a big difference between the two places.

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Enjoy meeting new people/cultures

Yes, I would generally disregard the beautiful mountains, beaches, sunshine, often smiling people, fresh fruit, great fish and a 100 other things...and worry about the same crazy things that happen by the minute in every city in the US - and some in the country side.

Could I get mugged here? yes... Could I get mugged in my native Kansas City, MO? For SURE>

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yes, I would generally disregard the beautiful mountains, beaches, sunshine, often smiling people, fresh fruit, great fish and a 100 other things...and worry about the same crazy things that happen by the minute in every city in the US - and some in the country side.

Could I get mugged here? yes... Could I get mugged in my native Kansas City, MO? For SURE>

people get mugged in the USA?

who knew...