Ceiling fan for sloped ceiling - Seller and installation?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We just use regular fans (I recommend KDK fans) and adjust the cover that mates to the ceiling as best as possible. Any hardware store should be able to direct you to someone who will say they can install them. Hopefully someone here will give you a good handyman in your area that actually does a good job.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My initial idea is to buy this on amazon and a fan from the same brand

Westinghouse 7002900 45-Degree Canopy Kit, White - Close To Ceiling Light Fixtures - Amazon.com

but this still would leave me with to have it installed. Gotta check for how much I can get it here vs buying online and have it installed...

That looks like an elegant solution for mounting. I have never seen an item like that here, so I suspect you will import it.

The real installation problem is getting the wires to run elegantly to the fan and a switch in a concrete and block house if not pre-wired for the installation. And I mean it can be a prohibitively big problem if you have no wiring already run from the breaker box.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Ouch. Not sure if I want that hassle in a rented house...

I've thought the fan would just get connected to the wires from the ceiling light. Am I wrong?

That looks like an elegant solution for mounting. I have never seen an item like that here, so I suspect you will import it.

The real installation problem is getting the wires to run elegantly to the fan and a switch in a concrete and block house if not pre-wired for the installation. And I mean it can be a prohibitively big problem if you have no wiring already run from the breaker box.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Additional wiring is needed to be able to control the fan AND the light separately. If you just want the fan on full with the light, then you could just wire it to the existing pair of wires and use the existing switch. It might be possible to pull the additional wiring in the tubes where the current wires run if they did not get crushed or blocked when the place was made.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I don't really need that ceiling light having other illumination in that room. I think I will just let replace the light for the fan or getting a fan with integrated lamp (which would not require additional wiring?).

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I don't really need that ceiling light having other illumination in that room. I think I will just let replace the light for the fan...

Then you should be OK as far as the wiring and Bellon might have such a device (that probably will cost more than if you import it yourself).

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Fan on amazon is 114 USD, the device is 18.62 USD. Not to mention ain't any Bellon in Punta Cana :), would need to travel. Well, maybe Ferreteria Americana in PC has it...

Then you should be OK as far as the wiring and Bellon might have such a device (that probably will cost more than if you import it yourself).

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Fan on amazon is 114 USD, the device is 18.62 USD. Not to mention ain't any Bellon in Punta Cana :), would need to travel. Well, maybe Ferreteria Americana in PC has it...

That type of fan looks good, but does it move any air?

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
Here are my thoughts. 1) Bellon has fans for sloped ceilings in Santiago and that means you will have plenty of choices in SD. 2) you may find that there are already circuits for both fan and light - I did. 3) there are remote controls available as addons and they use a single circuit. 4) pulling another circuit is usually easy. Good luck, Tom

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
I bought a KDK Wall Mount fan for our balcony. Lot less hassle. We have KDK ceiling fans and they are fine. The wall mount you just hang near a wall outlet, osillates and 3 speed. Doubt I'll bother with ceiling fans again.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Actually I have a wall-mounted one from Lasko but looking for something stronger. Will check if I can find a stronger one. Thanks for the input!

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Checked out the KDK site by previous post. They all look plastic. Ours, is all metal, brassy looking. Paid rd 3,100 ($100 US) 5 years ago. All the energy saving stuff sucks when you want to be cool.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
I bought a KDK Wall Mount fan for our balcony. Lot less hassle. We have KDK ceiling fans and they are fine. The wall mount you just hang near a wall outlet, osillates and 3 speed. Doubt I'll bother with ceiling fans again.

This is what PJT would recommend, the wall mount, especially when your residence is a rental. It is usually cheaper than an overhead and will not involve hiring and waiting for an electrician to do wiring and installation. Keep it simple, do it the Dominican way. The wall mount (cement block) would involve only mounting fasteners to the wall. Can be done by yourself if you have the tools, a hammer drill with bits, hammer, screwdriver, screws, and plastic wall anchors. It is easy to dismount and travel with you to your next residence. The advantage is not having the cost in wait time or cash to call an electrician to undo the an overhead.

Save the overhead when you have a place to call your own.

Regards,

PJT

healimonster

Sep 29, 2015
Seems like a long shot but...
Has anyone had a ceiling fan installed on a vaulted concrete ceiling that has no lights or electricity running in the ceiling?

If someone in the Punta Cana area that knows a handy man or electrician who could tackle a task like this I would love to know how much it would cost.

I would be open to having the electricty running down the ceiling in a plastic wire cover strip that you might see under a wall mounted TV.