Bartering with silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sharpy

My late father used to share stories with me about taking silver coins on his trips to Mexico and how the local vendors would bend over backwards to make good deals for services, food or souvenirs in exchange for his silver coins.

My family and I are traveling to Punta Cana this fall and I am curious as to if this makes sense to try in Punta Cana. I'm not much of a negotiator but thought it might be fun and interesting to the folks we meet.

Can anyone offer any advise on the subject?

May 29, 2006
Dominican coins used to have a good amount of silver in them and then the weight in grams stamped on them. Anyone who will deal with silver will know the current price on the internet. You'd prob have better luck buying than selling. Once upon a time, a Dominican peso was equal to a US dollar in its silver value. Trujillo era silver coins have some collector's value back in the States. Most were melted down in the DR.

Dominican Republic Large Silver Coin 1 Peso 1955 Exists 19 450 Un AUN UNC | eBay

Dominican Republic 1961 Medio Peso 1 2 Native Head KM 21 Flashy Lustrous | eBay

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Too many Chinese fake silver coins out there. Not many Dominican venders are going to have a pocket scale unless you are bantering silver for white gold. Ask Pichardo when the venders will start taking BitCoins.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
You will probably get robbed. Go and have fun. There is nothing for sale in Punta Cana that you cant buy with paper money.

Jan 9, 2004
My late father used to share stories with me about taking silver coins on his trips to Mexico and how the local vendors would bend over backwards to make good deals for services, food or souvenirs in exchange for his silver coins.

My family and I are traveling to Punta Cana this fall and I am curious as to if this makes sense to try in Punta Cana. I'm not much of a negotiator but thought it might be fun and interesting to the folks we meet.

Simply put:

Forget it.

This isn't the Mexico of a bygone era.

Enjoy your trip.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

How about using glass beads and little shiny mirrors? Sorry, this is not the olden days. Yes, you can still negotiate prices from vendors. Good luck

Aug 6, 2006
Silver coins in the DR are not in circulation, just as they are not in circulation in the US or Mexico.

You can buy silver coins as collectables, but you will pay a lot more than the value of the silver.

Apr 13, 2011
Don't bother bartering with silver, not worth your efforts. The local vendors will all know the daily exchange rate for the US Dollar (and even then, they will try to get your dollars for several pesos lower than the exchange rate). I doubt many will know the exchange rate for silver, never mind have a scale to weigh it. Any place that does will probably not give you a good rate. Bring US Dollars and exchange them at a reputable cambio or bank for the best rates. And then just enjoy your vacation.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i suggest you try to barter your wife. this might be fun and interesting to everyone involved.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013

These vendors are money exchange rate wolves in vendors clothing and skilled in analytical geometry and calculus. You would come up short every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.